Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Oh, I never said that it's not interesting. In fact, I marvel at how interesting it is every time that I'm falling through the center of it to my inevitable death. :laugh:

Do you have any tips? The one good lead that I have is to follow those rickety wooden walkways down into the planet, but, every time that I do, I fall into the black hole and it takes me 10 minutes to die, resurrect and get back there again (so that I can die all over again). Am I missing something?
Those wooden walkways are good for getting to specific areas of the planet. I would suggest starting with those and getting as far down that route as you possibly can. You'll get to a point where you'll inevitably fall through the black hole, but by that time some other things should have fallen through the black hole, as well, and they might deserve some exploration, too.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Those wooden walkways are good for getting to specific areas of the planet. I would suggest starting with those and getting as far down that route as you possibly can. You'll get to a point where you'll inevitably fall through the black hole, but by that time some other things should have fallen through the black hole, as well, and they might deserve some exploration, too.

That makes a little more sense. So, you're meant to fall through, eventually, and I was just doing it before I was supposed to. I think that maybe the problem is that I haven't found the start of the path. Because of time and air constraints, I feel that I have to hurry. When I looked over the cliff and saw the path beneath me, I just dropped down to it... perhaps not what you're supposed to do. I'll look for the proper way. Thanks.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
That makes a little more sense. So, you're meant to fall through, eventually, and I was just doing it before I was supposed to. I think that maybe the problem is that I haven't found the start of the path. Because of time and air constraints, I feel that I have to hurry. When I looked over the cliff and saw the path beneath me, I just dropped down to it... perhaps not what you're supposed to do. I'll look for the proper way. Thanks.
I guess the only real tips I have when it comes to the game are the following: land your ship close to where you're going to explore, and don't be afraid to die. Since those walkways are pretty rickety, take your time with them. Going too fast might cause them to break.

Reactions: Osprey

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Oh, I didn't say that it's not interesting. In fact, I marvel at how interesting it is every time that I'm slowly and helplessly falling through the center of it to my inevitable death. :laugh:

Do you have any tips? The one good lead that I have is to follow those rickety wooden walkways down into the planet, but, every time that I do, I fall into the black hole and it takes me 10 minutes to die, resurrect and get back there again (so that I can die all over again). Am I missing something?

EDIT: Was possibly spoilers, so I deleted original. The one time I fell through the black hole the game gave me a potential way back, but I ran out of time before I figured out how it was supposed to work.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Started Odyssey today and loving it so far. I took a break from Open World games for the last little bit and I'm definitely appreciating this one more after the hiatus.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I forgot how bad texture filtering is on console. Playing Death Stranding (which I like so far), man the texture filtering on the ground goes out like 2 inches in front of you.

heatnikki

Dec 18, 2018
Silent Hill and League of Legends right now. I use vpn firefox addon to bypass all restrictions and protect my privacy while playing. Useful tool for any gamer and doesn't cost a lot.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Destiny 2
Control
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
Cyberpunk
Manifold Garden (Portal on acid...seriously)
FIFA 21
Remastered Spider Man
Borderlands 3

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Anyone else playing Valheim? I've played a lot of similar games but so far this one is a lot of fun and pretty smooth. Definitely a challenge and the lack of information on the internet makes it better.
This game should auto-log you out after so many hours. Absolutely lost all track of time the past two nights playing with a buddy. Really fun game.

Reactions: PK Cronin

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Exploring. Follow your curiosity and see what's out there in the universe.

God, I love that game.

It struck me while playing Outer Wilds last night that it's a bit like an outer space version of Subnautica in that you're free to explore and there's an alien mystery to slowly unravel. If you haven't played that, I highly recommend it. It's one of my favorite games of the last few years. I'm eagerly awaiting the standalone expansion (which may as well be a sequel) that's due in May.

Edit: Speaking of which, I just read about a new game that came out today called Breathedge that looks even more like Subnautica in space. I need to check that out.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
It struck me while playing Outer Wilds last night that it's a bit like an outer space version of Subnautica in that you're free to explore and there's an alien mystery to slowly unravel. If you haven't played that, I highly recommend it. It's one of my favorite games of the last few years. I'm eagerly awaiting the standalone expansion (which may as well be a sequel) that's due in May.

Edit: Speaking of which, I just read about a new game that came out today called Breathedge that looks even more like Subnautica in space. I need to check that out.
I've put a decent chunk of hours into Subnautica, but I have never made that connection before. Subnautica is a great game, too, although I've never actually finished it. I always get to
the Lost River
, realize I'm missing some really important things I need to get through there, and stop playing :laugh:

Is Below Zero not already out? Maybe it's in early access, but I thought it had been fully released. I haven't played it yet, but I'm definitely going to get around to it. And thanks for bringing Breathedge to my attention! I haven't heard of it before, but it's going on the Steam wishlist.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is Below Zero not already out? Maybe it's in early access, but I thought it had been fully released. I haven't played it yet, but I'm definitely going to get around to it. And thanks for bringing Breathedge to my attention! I haven't heard of it before, but it's going on the Steam wishlist.

Below Zero has been in early access for the last two years. I haven't played it yet because I like to wait until games are out of early access. Yesterday, the announcement came that it'll leave early access in May. I'll probably get Breathedge and play that in the meantime.

BTW, since you're on PC, I found that a couple of mods make things easier for Outer Wilds. One is AutoResume, which skips the intro logos and animations and automatically resumes your expedition, getting you into the game much, much faster. Another is SmoothThrust, which helps if you play with a keyboard by steadily increasing thrust as you hold down the keys (simulating an analog controller stick, I believe), instead of going full thrust as soon as you pressed the key. That especially helps with the anglerfish, which I could not get past before, since full thrustering would wake them up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Papa Francouz

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Giving the Outriders demo a chance. It’s pretty fun. Hasn’t really blown me away, but it’s just the first couple hours of the game, so that’s not too surprising. I do like how you can take special effects from one gun and put it on a different one. That’s an interesting idea that will make a lot of gear really interesting.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Giving the Outriders demo a chance. It’s pretty fun. Hasn’t really blown me away, but it’s just the first couple hours of the game, so that’s not too surprising. I do like how you can take special effects from one gun and put it on a different one. That’s an interesting idea that will make a lot of gear really interesting.
I played through it on PS5 and it was fine. It fatigued my eyes pretty quickly though, which seems to happen more and more with console shooters with me. I played a bit more on PC and definitely prefer it there. I would prefer to sit on my couch rather than my computer chair to play it, but it’s much less taxing on the eyes and aiming is much easier for me on PC. I had this same issue with Destiny 2 and Borderlands 3, so I guess my old age is catching up to me :laugh: I’m not usually a “PC master race” type, but if you have both options, I would recommend the PC. Though it’s a free demo so you can just decide for yourself I guess.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Below Zero has been in early access for the last two years. I haven't played it yet because I like to wait until games are out of early access. Yesterday, the announcement came that it'll leave early access in May. I'll probably get Breathedge and play that in the meantime.

BTW, since you're on PC, I found that a couple of mods make things easier for Outer Wilds. One is AutoResume, which skips the intro logos and animations and automatically resumes your expedition, getting you into the game much, much faster. Another is SmoothThrust, which helps if you play with a keyboard by steadily increasing thrust as you hold down the keys (simulating a controller stick, I believe), instead of going full blast from the start. That especially helps with the anglerfish, which I could not get past before, since any thrustering woke them up.
Nice! Glad to hear Below Zero has a release date. I've seen some clips of the creatures in that game and it looks like it'll be just as thrilling as the original Subnautica, if not more so. I also have this irrational fear of getting stuck underwater under a sheet of ice despite not really ever being around frozen bodies of water, so I'm glad Below Zero will at least somewhat incorporate that.

Thanks for the heads-up on the mods, too. I've already beaten Outer Wilds, but if I ever play it again I'll definitely look into AutoResume. I actually played it with a controller originally and will likely do so again, but just in case I lose it I'll keep SmoothThrust in mind. I remember trying to play the game the first time using kb&m, and it was pretty difficult. Luckily I hadn't gotten to Dark Bramble yet, but that part would have been impossible without thrust control.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Valheim is up to 5 million sales now, only a month after it was released for early access.

Wishful thinking, but I'm hoping they'll add that Hearth and Home update quickly because they'll lose players pretty quickly if there isn't new content soon-ish. My friends and I beat the game a week or two after launch, there's very little to do now that is a challenge other than the monotony of collecting resources. I know it's a small team of people so I don't think a big update would be coming yet.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wishful thinking, but I'm hoping they'll add that Hearth and Home update quickly because they'll lose players pretty quickly if there isn't new content soon-ish. My friends and I beat the game a week or two after launch, there's very little to do now that is a challenge other than the monotony of collecting resources. I know it's a small team of people so I don't think a big update would be coming yet.

We have a lot of creative builders in my multiplayer game. Lots of hours in the game and only beat the 2nd boss. Our base looks cooler by the day. Was experimenting with Lighthouse construction this afternoon.

Having fun with the slow pace. Then again it takes a lot of iron to outfit a half dozen players.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We have a lot of creative builders in my multiplayer game. Lots of hours in the game and only beat the 2nd boss. Our base looks cooler by the day. Was experimenting with Lighthouse construction this afternoon.

Having fun with the slow pace. Then again it takes a lot of iron to outfit a half dozen players.

We had seven on our server, but base building became secondary to getting equipment/weapons. Once we beat the final boss pretty much everyone stopped playing. They went from sinking 8+ hours every day to maybe an hour here or there to do something. I've been playing a couple hours and doing some building experiments too, but it's hard to get enough material by myself. I have to mine everything I need or chop everything because nobody else is around.

I'm going to be trying a lighthouse soon. Debating trying to get it out in the water or not. Building out there might be a pain.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
We had seven on our server, but base building became secondary to getting equipment/weapons. Once we beat the final boss pretty much everyone stopped playing. They went from sinking 8+ hours every day to maybe an hour here or there to do something. I've been playing a couple hours and doing some building experiments too, but it's hard to get enough material by myself. I have to mine everything I need or chop everything because nobody else is around.

I'm going to be trying a lighthouse soon. Debating trying to get it out in the water or not. Building out there might be a pain.

Biggest problem I ran into is I wanted a Bonfire on top. You can only build bonfires on earth, not stone or wood. So I built a hollow core and raised up the ground in the middle, but it appears that you can only raise ground a maximum of about 15m.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Just started Dark Souls 3. It's my first Soulsborne, wanted to try it to know if buying other FromSoft product was worth it.

I'm at the first level (Highwall of Lothric) and am pretty much enjoying it. I actually was expecting even harder than the game is.

I mean, it's hard, but if you're patient, look at your surroundings and tread carefully, it gives you most of the clues you need. I dislike the lack of bonfires quite a bit though, but mostly because of playing time issues. Combat is pretty good and I like the ennemies. The atmosphere is outstanding. I'm enjoying it for now.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->