Games you are currently playing - Part 7

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You keep all the items you returned to your ship with. One thing I didn't realize early on is that you definitely want to go downward consistently. You can easily blow past the items you need for objectives if you stick to just going mostly to the right.

Oh, NOW you tell me. I've been taking the upper/left path most of the time and have been facing more numerous and deadly enemies than I can fight or stealth my way around.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I just ran into a huge ship with tons of loot. One weapon I definitely recommend picking up is the Rifter. It allows you to zap enemies, basically store them in your gun and teleport them elsewhere. You can teleport enemies through walls and doors so once you clear out a small room to the side, just lock it, zap strong enemies with the rifter (like screws) and teleport them into the locked room. The huge ship I was on only had a few Screws. Normally, even a few is a tough challenge, but one shot to each and some running back and forth made this ship one of the easiest I've dealt with:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....712/1A8AF5BF9BABD0022B8961035D40DD0AFA1AF37C/

Reactions: Osprey

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
NBA 2k20. Picked up the ultimate edition on sale for $24.99 last week. Could be the most disappointing sports game ever. I expect to be disappointed by NHL every year but not like this from NBA 2k. The single player experience was immensely shallow. The changes they made to Be a GM are horrible. It is absolute garbage.

Finished up some odds and ends in FF7R last night (2 Chadley missions and Bahamut) and will either start Hard Mode this week or take a break and try Persona 5 Royale Edition.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Slowly dragging my feet on finishing up Persona 5 Royal while playing a lot of matches in PES 2020 and scheming whether my next move will be to play FF7 + the remake or invest in a big title for my new Switch. Likely will finish P5R tomorrow and pick up Animal Crossing, but the other day I picked up this incredibly cheap game called Diggerman, which I'm finding highly addictive.

It's basically one simple mechanic, to keep digging perpetually downward while picking up coins, dodging various things that will kill you, and most importantly, trying to pick up batteries so that you can stay alive. It's incredible fast-paced and incredibly difficult, but so far I've had a good bit of fun with it. It was 0.49 in the eShop and I ended up getting it for free. Read up a little bit about it and I think it's perpetually on sale.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Playing Final Fantasy Tactics on PSP. 30 hours in and I can’t tell if I like it or not lol. Not really a tactical RPG guy, the combat is stressful and it’s not relaxing to play like a typical Final Fantasy game. But there’s something very addicting about it, I can’t drop it.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Started the campaign on Call of Duty WW2, not a COD player since I don't do much online stuff and won't pay $60 for a 5-6 hr single player storyline, but it was free on PS+ so I'll give it a whirl

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Started the campaign on Call of Duty WW2, not a COD player since I don't do much online stuff and won't pay $60 for a 5-6 hr single player storyline, but it was free on PS+ so I'll give it a whirl

The campaign is a lot of fun. I honestly think it's one of the best campaigns the Call of Duty franchise has put out in a while.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Currently playing Maneater on Xbox One. It’s very good for what it is: a guilty pleasure kinda game. The concept is simple, you start as a baby shark and you must eat absolutely everything in your sight and evolve over time to eventually take on the redneck fisherman who killed your mother.

It’s pretty short for the price (50$ CAN) and the missions get repetitive after a while but it’s still a fun and unique game. I’d recommend it but maybe wait for a sale if you don’t see yourself paying full price for a relatively short game (took me ~20 hours to 100% and I explored/messed around a lot). If you like RPGs and sharks you’ll have a good time.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
NBA 2k20. Picked up the ultimate edition on sale for $24.99 last week. Could be the most disappointing sports game ever. I expect to be disappointed by NHL every year but not like this from NBA 2k. The single player experience was immensely shallow. The changes they made to Be a GM are horrible. It is absolute garbage.

I really wish they put an end to the yearly release cycle of sports games. I'd be more than fine with a game that comes out every two-three years and then pay an extra $15-$20 for the yearly roster updates.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Started playing Hitman, the one that come out like 2015/16 something like that.

At first I didn’t think I was gonna give it a chance, but it’s pretty cool so far. Lots of ways to kill guys.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Started playing Hitman, the one that come out like 2015/16 something like that.

At first I didn’t think I was gonna give it a chance, but it’s pretty cool so far. Lots of ways to kill guys.

Really liked the return to form, though the Hitman 2018 release had a more consistent level quality.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Less than 24 hours till C&C and Red Alert remastered :)

I'm stoked, although I think I will wait a few days and see if any crazy controversies arise.

REALLY hard to trust EA....I'm not making the Warcraft III Reforged mistake with Blizzard again.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
Borderlands 3 was half off through Sony’s Days of Play sale so I bought it despite already having it on PC because I want to play it on my couch rather than at my desk because I have wrist issues that make using a mouse for an extended period of time difficult. I’m by no means a PC Master Race type, but this is really difficult to play at 30 FPS. I couldn’t figure out why it was so difficult to aim. I messed with the FoV and the aim sensitivity and it didn’t help much. It’s definitely the frames, which is really frustrating because there’s no way to really improve it. I’m hoping to just get used to it, but I might just have to run my PC to my TV. Can a controller work without being hard wired into the PC because that will throw another wrench into this shit storm?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Borderlands 3 was half off through Sony’s Days of Play sale so I bought it despite already having it on PC because I want to play it on my couch rather than at my desk because I have wrist issues that make using a mouse for an extended period of time difficult. I’m by no means a PC Master Race type, but this is really difficult to play at 30 FPS. I couldn’t figure out why it was so difficult to aim. I messed with the FoV and the aim sensitivity and it didn’t help much. It’s definitely the frames, which is really frustrating because there’s no way to really improve it. I’m hoping to just get used to it, but I might just have to run my PC to my TV. Can a controller work without being hard wired into the PC because that will throw another wrench into this shit storm?

There are wireless controllers for PC, if that's what you're asking. Some are Bluetooth and some are 2.4 GHz. If the PC is in another room, though, you might encounter a range issue, especially with Bluetooth.

I love my 8BitDo wireless controller, the N30 Pro 2, but a console gamer would probably find the SN30 Pro+ with the handles more to his liking: 8BitDo SN30 Pro+ | 8BitDo

Of course, there are other brands that look and feel less like old Nintendo controllers and more like current XB/PS controllers, if that's what you'd prefer.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

Online is awesome. The Shovel kills are so incredibly fun.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

This is something I made from a few years ago showing how fun the game can be using just shovels, incendiary shogun rounds, and remote explosives.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I've been getting addicted to Pavlov again. There's a few new community maps, one plays like a survival game so you have to go find loot, can talk to people etc. It's a ton of fun just messing with people when you get guns. Fortunately, dying isn't punishing at all, you can get geared enough to kill people pretty quickly and usually get fully geared after you get a couple kills. Every time I die, within 10-15 minutes, I'm fully geared again. It's hilarious teaming up with randoms and seeing the hilarity play out.

There's also a big search and destroy mode now so you can have 12v12 instead of the standard 5v5, makes it a lot more hectic and a ton of fun. Finally, when you want some practice, there's a 1v1 duel map where you can take any gun, put any attachment on it, and fight someone 1v1. I was just practicing bolt action rifles and it helped me so much for the other game modes. I keep playing for 2-3 hours at a time now and my feet constantly kill from standing for so long in VR.

Also got back into Minecraft recently. So many games to play, so little time to play them all.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just started Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection, which includes remastered versions of C&C and Red Alert. It's hard to believe that the same EA that gobbled up and killed Westwood Studios has just released one of the best remasters that you'll likely to ever see. It probably helped that they tapped Petroglyph, which some of the original Westwood developers now work for. That was the first smart decision. On top of that, you get both games for only $20 and it's available on Steam, as well as EA's own Origin. Oh yeah, and on top of that, they released the source code for both remastered games. What's gotten into EA? It also seems too generous and they didn't screw something up for once.

It has just about everything that you could want. The gameplay graphics are enhanced, but still appear pretty faithful. Also, you can switch between them on the fly by pressing the spacebar and zoom in and out with the mouse wheel. The controls are improved so that you can select and order units around more like more modern RTSes. The command bar now shows more units, supports build queues and has tabs to switch between building different buildings and units. Most of the games' cutscenes have been upscaled to higher resolutions, while a few (like the Westwood logo and territory selection ones) have been re-done, but still look faithful. There's also remastered music and, oh yeah, all of the expansion packs are included, as well.

Anyways, I've played only a few missions so far, but this appears to be one great remaster. I hope that Petroglyph gets the chance to do the same for Dune II (another Westwood game) and that Blizzard is inspired to remaster WarCraft: Orcs & Humans like this. If you have fond memories of C&C or Red Alert, you might want to consider picking this up, especially because $20 for both games (and their expansions) is a steal.

Last edited:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Currently I'm replaying Red Dead Redemption 2. I'm going to take a bigger focus on completing the challenges, collectables and busy-work things like that. I've noticed with the high tension of real life and the current political climate the serenity of just galloping around the open plains or through the forest really puts me at peace lately.

Playing Final Fantasy Tactics on PSP. 30 hours in and I can’t tell if I like it or not lol. Not really a tactical RPG guy, the combat is stressful and it’s not relaxing to play like a typical Final Fantasy game. But there’s something very addicting about it, I can’t drop it.
Awesome to hear that you're play this for the first time in 2020, Tactics is one of my favorite PS1 games still to this day.

I'm not generally a tactical gamer guy either, but like you said, there's just something addicting about the game. Idk if it's the way the combat works and tailoring your party, or just the way that there's so many ways to plan and play out each battle. I think the strong storyline helps as well.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Picked up Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour for the Switch yesterday since it's 50% off.

It'll be my 3rd time playing the game since the original release date (originally on PC when it came out, and then again on Xbox 360 when it was re-released). The game still holds up overall, but something feels off about the controls on the Switch version. I'm using a pro controller and turned off gyro, but it still feels very clunky and awkward to aim. My aim is way worse than I remember it being on the previous versions, or any other FPS for that matter. But maybe I just need to get used to a different version of aim-assist. Still really enjoying it, and read that it's a much more improved version than the recent PS4 one (more consistent 60 FPS and better audio quality). Haven't tried online multiplayer yet though. Definitely worth picking up if you're a fan of the game, as it's only $5 right now.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I started FFXIV about a month ago. I’m hooked. I’m on Diabolos if anyone plays, though I’d actually switch servers if it meant meeting a good group to play with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->