Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Eh I never thought Stroman would be all that, he was hyped but all he had was ‘swagger’ and somewhat of an attitude issue where he never really developed his craft.

That’s what he’s doing now, selling himself for all that hype and whatever swagger he has left.

Any team willing to give him a long term contract is nuts.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
https://www.mlb.com/news/team-top-prospects-lists-2020-midseason-ranking

Blue Jays Top Prospects

Blue Jays
Top 100: 3 | Prospect Points: 193 (13th)

No. 1: Nate Pearson, RHP (MLB No. 9)
Highest-ranked newcomer: Austin Martin, SS/OF (No. 2/MLB No. 20, first-round pick)
The future began to take center stage in Toronto last season with the arrivals of Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Bo Bichette and Cavan Biggio and has continued in 2020 with the debut and immediate success of Pearson, the third-highest-ranked pitcher on MLB Pipeline’s Top 100 Prospects list. Martin, whom the Blue Jays selected fifth overall in this year’s Draft, headlines the club’s next wave of prospect talent along with former first-rounders like shortstop Jordan Groshans (2018) and righty Alek Manoah (’19).
Top 30 Prospects list »

13 best farm system if you use their "Prospect Points" system.

Van Eyk ranked 12th and no other 2020 draftee or signee ranked inside the top 30.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
Hey, remember when everyone was whining about how badly the Blue Jays got ripped off and should have gotten way more for Marcus?

hindsight is 20/20. He might have signed another deal in Toronto if they kept him. Who knows really. Let’s wait and see what happens with the guys we got. Kay looks pretty decent so far.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Hey, remember when everyone was whining about how badly the Blue Jays got ripped off and should have gotten way more for Marcus?

No one complained about that deal on this board that I can remember.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Some initially didn't like it because they for some reason still liked stroman and there was no supposed top 100 prospect in the deal. Getting rid of the toxic smurf was a win itself but once people dug into what SWR was calmed a lot of doubters.

It's obvious stroman will go to the highest bidder but who will be dumb/desperate enough to give him a long term deal?

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Really? I remember a bunch. People were upset we didn’t get any top 100 prospects. Or we didn’t get any of the Mets top prospects.

There were a lot of people upset they didn’t “circle back to the Twins” or wait until the deadline for a better offer. I know, I was one of them.

Blue Jays Discussion: - Roy Halladay officially inducted in the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Blue Jays Discussion: - Roy Halladay officially inducted in the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Last edited:

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Really? I remember a bunch. People were upset we didn’t get any top 100 prospects. Or we didn’t get any of the Mets top prospects.

There were a lot of people upset they didn’t “circle back to the Twins” or wait until the deadline for a better offer. I know, I was one of them.

Yeah we all had to look into who Anthony Kay and SWR were.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
With the way teams manipulate service time to their benefit, can't blame Stroman for doing the same.

I would be pissed if I were a Mets fan, though.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Yeah we all had to look into who Anthony Kay and SWR were.

I remember being on vacation in Oregon and checking to see if trades were happening. Don't think I posted by initial thoughts, at least I didn't see any when I just checked, but I saw the players and did a brief read and didn't like the trade. Then reading a few posters start to praise SWR then I liked the trade better. It's too bad the season isn't normal. I think SWR likely would have been a top 50 prospect easily.

I still had a sour taste in my mouth from the Happ for Drury and McKinney trade.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I didn't mind it but thought we could have done better. As a defender of this management group, while we probably got a good prospect in SWR, my issue was I felt we didn't get full value on Stroman.
Good to be wrong there.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

Ok - I don't want to read through all of that so I'll take your word for it. I just remember a lot of folks not liking Stroshow at the time and being more and more excited by SWR as folks learned more about him. Initially, yeah maybe folks were upset that we didn't get a top 100 guy.

This trade really did stand out as a positive for Shatkins, considering we never really got any worthwhile prospects back for any of the other guys they'd traded.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I didn't mind it but thought we could have done better. As a defender of this management group, while we probably got a good prospect in SWR, my issue was I felt we didn't get full value on Stroman.
Good to be wrong there.

Values for trading players for prospects seems to have dropped in the last few years too. I think they got reasonable value for Stroman.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Ok - I don't want to read through all of that so I'll take your word for it. I just remember a lot of folks not liking Stroshow at the time and being more and more excited by SWR as folks learned more about him. Initially, yeah maybe folks were upset that we didn't get a top 100 guy.

This trade really did stand out as a positive for Shatkins, considering we never really got any worthwhile prospects back for any of the other guys they'd traded.

I flipped through a few pages, and dear god... it's basically non-stop vitriol about management and how they messed up yet another trade for futures. And not just your standard bunch of people who never post about the Jays - basically all of our regulars here were bashing it. It's pretty amazing to look back on.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I flipped through a few pages, and dear god... it's basically non-stop vitriol about management and how they messed up yet another trade for futures. And not just your standard bunch of people who never post about the Jays - basically all of our regulars here were bashing it. It's pretty amazing to look back on.
I don’t remember what I said at the time but I don’t remember being very happy about the trade initially. Once I took the time to look into the players and get feedback from others I calmed down

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I'm not so sure that is right. Everything I can find says that unless you are high risk, you forfeit all service time by opting out.

I believe an opt out would preclude any serive time he might have received on il, because it is as if he never showed up for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad