Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I’m at the point where it’s best to lose. Short season to tank

this team is just brutal.

Yep, tied in the standings with other horrible teams like Washington and Houston, way back of the notable top teams in the league like Miami and Detroit.

Reactions: thehockeysong

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yep, tied in the standings with other horrible teams like Washington and Houston, way back of the notable top teams in the league like Miami and Detroit.

Hey, I'll have you know that the Marlins are absolutely riding high thanks to the glorious stewardship of the man who was once voted by Fortune Magazine as the 11th greatest leader in the world (no, really. This is not a joke. Well, OK, the rest of this post is a joke but this fact is 100% legitimate and not a parody. I felt that this disclaimer was important because I don't want people thinking I just made it up as a bit of overwrought parody. It really happened.). It just makes sense that they would succeed.

Reactions: thehockeysong

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005

3rd last in the entire AL
Dead last in the division

That’s bad. Period

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
13 games. Every team has a stretch worse than this every year.
Yes and they have 162 games to turn it around. More than 20 pct of the season is gone which equates to 35 games in an actual season.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Martin doesn't have any experience as a bench coach in any capacity. Pass.

I agree there's probably a trend there but even then, most of those guys Epictetus listed had some form of experience;

Baldelli: 3 years as a bench coach for the Rays before Minnesota hired him (another Cash disciple)

Boone: was hired straight out of ESPN's booth

Kapler: Scattered experience as a bench coach for international play/A ball

Cora: Was a bench coach for Houston for like a year or two

Beltran: No managerial experience but lots of people seem to think he was essentially a second manager in the dugout.

Cash: 2 years as a bullpen coach for Cleveland.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to champion a fossil like Showalter or Yost, but i'd rather have a guy that at least has a smidgen of experience before throwing them into the manager role. Especially a guy who is pretty well liked like Martin.

PFFTTTT.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/russell-martin-manager-blue-jays-seeason-finale-1.4844144

Looks like a smidgen of experience to me :sarcasm:

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Martin doesn't have any experience as a bench coach in any capacity. Pass.

I agree there's probably a trend there but even then, most of those guys Epictetus listed had some form of experience;

Beltran: No managerial experience but lots of people seem to think he was essentially a second manager in the dugout.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to champion a fossil like Showalter or Yost, but i'd rather have a guy that at least has a smidgen of experience before throwing them into the manager role. Especially a guy who is pretty well liked like Martin.
Weren't some people saying the same things about Russ as Gibby's time was winding down?

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yes and they have 162 games to turn it around. More than 20 pct of the season is gone which equates to 35 games in an actual season.

That doesn't make a 13 game stretch any more meaningful in determining how good a player or team actually is.

Last edited:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
That doesn't make a 13 game stretch any more meaningful in determining how good a player or team actually is.
Sure, but your in tough when you've wasted 20% of the season. So those who want to tank aren't completely off-base is what my point was.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Sure, but your in tough when you've wasted 20% of the season. So those who want to tank aren't completely off-base is what my point was.

They're also 1.5 games out of a playoff spot with this year's format.

I get what you're saying, but suggesting the team is "brutal" and should tank is a massive overreaction to a couple rough weeks regardless of the length of the season.

Reactions: Forgotusername

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
They're also 1.5 games out of a playoff spot with this year's format.

I get what you're saying, but suggesting the team is "brutal" and should tank is a massive overreaction to a couple rough weeks regardless of the length of the season.
Yeah fair enough. No arguments there. I think both opinions are valid (except the everyone sucks mass overreaction).

Reactions: Discoverer

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Stroman waited until he got to six years of service time and then opted out of the season.

King move.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
Stroman moving swiftly to FA
This can’t help his reputation with potential teams.

we already knew that he was a pain in the ass, but now he’s unreliable as well. He has every right to opt out, but the optics are bad. Probably chase away a few teams...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad