GDT: GAME XXII - Stars at Avalanche: Exhaustion

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'm not sure it matters a lot who the fifth guy on the first power play unit is. He's there as bait anyway.
I'd put Kamenev on PP1 and let him take some one timers from the high slot. I have a feeling he's a better shooter than Wilson...

Reactions: Bender

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Stars played a perfect road game last night, completely stingy in the defencive zone and would've faired better if they were healthy. You can't hope putting Heiskanen out there the entire game would shutdown MacKinnon.I did not like EJ's game yesterday.

The stars were lucky it wasn't a blow out. Rantanen hit the post from in close, and Mack missed 3 great chances. Their goalie was the only reason it was close. Grubauer (Or Varly) didn't have to make 1/4 of the saves that the Dallas goaltender had to make.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Very happy about the results, but very bummed about the fact that this matchup is nowhere near as fun as it used to be.

Khudobin was good last night, I'm not trying to sell him short, but the Stars went out of their way to throw bodies in front of the net and absolutely clog up the slot area. Hitch may not be around anymore but his system is well intact. Say what you will about the man but he knows how to gum up the works.

I don't watch much NCAA hockey so I don't know what system Monty employed when he was there but I assume the Stars hired him to get the team more offensive. Problem is, it appears Jim Nill listened to all the wrong people and took a high-flying firewagon hockey team and made them way too slow. Despite the fact that they have that incredible top line and (when healthy) one hell of a pair of defenders in Heiskanen and Klingberg, they don't look anything like a contender to me. They just look...kinda average. I have to wonder if this is Nill's final season in Dallas.

Gotta say I was impressed with Jason Spezza. He's got a rep for being a slow-moving object but was rushing the puck up-ice regularly and giving the Avs all sorts of fits. Conversely, apart from the Stars' second goal, I really didn't notice Seguin that much.

Lastly, back-to-backs should be outlawed. And I don't buy for a second that it'd be that hard for the NHL to fix it.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Does someone want to make a reaction video to this game? Was going to watch rewatch it but I'd much rather stare at someone's face instead.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I was late finishing to watch that game but I thought it was Jost's best game so far this year. He was skating hard and holding on to the puck and creating chances. He needs to keep playing like that.

I mentioned earlier I was expecting a 'Bo Horvat type of progression' this season out of him which means around 40 points or so. If he keeps playing that way, he'll get there.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
The stars were lucky it wasn't a blow out. Rantanen hit the post from in close, and Mack missed 3 great chances. Their goalie was the only reason it was close. Grubauer didn't have to make 1/4 of the saves that the Dallas goaltender had to make.
Accurate :sarcasm:

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Lol these back to back games mess with my memory. I meant to say Varly. The only thing grubauer did that game was sexually assault Girard. Lol
Lol I hear ya . Seems like so many back to backs for the Avs , don't like it at all

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
This team of ours is just finding new ways to win regularly. Loving it. Preds are the team we need to get ourselves around those guys, to truly be onto that next level.

Reactions: StayPuft39

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I was looking at the highlights again and that wraparound save by Varlamov in the 2nd period was absolutely beautiful. I can't describe how hard that was to make with just pure agility, reflexes, and anticipations considering where his body position was when he knew the Stars player was conducting a wraparound. As a goaler myself that is by far the best save of the season that we have seen.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I was looking at the highlights again and that wraparound save by Varlamov in the 2nd period was absolutely beautiful. I can't describe how hard that was to make with just pure agility, reflexes, and anticipations considering where his body position was when he knew the Stars player was conducting a wraparound. As a goaler myself that is by far the best save of the season that we have seen.
A few years back , actually the 13-14 season there was a video and some footage of Varly's training. The things he can do are phenomenal. He is widely considered the most athletic goalie in the NHL by his peers . It's no wonder he had groin issues but hopefully that's behind him .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->