Game that a player wishes he could take back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yammer said:
Interesting thread. Here are some other infamous games that came to mind (though the Steve Smith own-goal was the very first to pop to my mind).

December 12, 1933 - Eddie Shore viciously cross-checks Ace Bailey from behind. Bailey is left near death and never plays again. A benefit game starts the NHL All-Star tradition.

March 13, 1955 - Rocket Richard punches a linesman and gets suspended for the rest of the regular season and playoffs. Despite the Rocket's pleas for peace, there is rioting in the streets, with much property damage and many injuries. Interestingly, the anger in Quebec is said by some to have been a turning point in the Quebec nationalist movement.

December 2, 1995. Not a player but a coach would like this one back. Mario Tremblay leaves Patrick Roy in net for nine goals of an eventual 12-1 drubbing by the Wings. After finally getting the mercy hook, a white-hot Roy tells Ron Corey that he is done with the Canadiens.

Pretaining to Roy. If it didnt happen on December 2nd, it would have happend a week later. He wanted out of Montreal and away from Trembley. That game was just the final straw. In hinesight Montreal should have either fired Trembley or gotten more in return for Roy .

Oilers1*

Ott = Snott said:
That shot would've went wide and over.. it was not even close of going in, yet for some odd reason, Tommy Salo jumps up only to find out the puck went in off his helmet..

It was a major blooper..

Its statements like this (and the one posted above it) that make me say it is the most overrated play ever.

Salo didn't try to glove the puck. And he certainly didn't, 'jump' up to stop it. Watch the tape again; he was square in the net when it rose up and smacked him in the head. If the puck had been just a little higher, it would been gone over him and over the net. If it had been lower, it would have hit him in the chest and been safely cleared.

I'm still left wondering what's the proper goaltending technique for stopping a knuckleball slapshot that smacks you right in the noggin, then rolls into the net.

rocketpop

Jul 5, 2005
Marc Bergevin throwing the puck into the net in game 2 vs the Sharks.

Turek, Game 7 vs the sharks. Lets in a rediculous 65 footer against nolan at the end of the second period.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Pelle Lindbergh had a tough 1983 all-star game when he gave up seven goals, including 4 by Wayne Gretzky, in 30 minutes. It involved a rookie shaving hazing incident, called "brutal" by Jay Greenberg in "Full Spectrum," prior to the game. He would have been a great one.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
budscweizer16 said:
The flyers, games 5,6,7 of the 00 eastern Conference Finals

Also games 1-4 of the 1997 SC Finals.

To be fair, I'm sure the Wings want 1995 SCF back, 2003 first round back.

Dan Cloutier would like game 3 of the 2002 first round back.

Sweden and Tommy Salo want the 2002 game against Belarus back.

I could go on and on...

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
joepeps said:
ok finish the story for the people who didn't follow the Montreal Carolina game

I guess Montreal lost????

They did, 4-3. I think it was in OT, but at any rate, they first blew a 3 goal lead with, oh, 10 minutes left or something....

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
MiamiScreamingEagles said:
Pelle Lindbergh had a tough 1983 all-star game when he gave up seven goals, including 4 by Wayne Gretzky, in 30 minutes. It involved a rookie shaving hazing incident, called "brutal" by Jay Greenberg in "Full Spectrum," prior to the game. He would have been a great one.

I`d heard the stories about the shaving incident and Lindbergh`s bitterness about it, but wasn`t aware that it happened at the All-Star game of all places.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
King Henry I said:
Eric Cairns in game 1 of the Tampa Bay series last year. If he doesn't make two critical turnovers that series would've looked very different.

Alexei Kovalev losing the puck to Glen Murray and crashing into Souray, giving up the breakaway. The Habs won that series so no harm no foul, but it was pretty embarrassing.

Haha, I was laughing so hard what Carins did. But that series wouldnt have looked that different if he wasnt playing that game..might have went to 6 games..thats all.

But the Kovalev "oops" was a classic moment in my life. I will never forget how DUMB he was to pull that garbage in OT..then have Murray score because of it. :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Masao said:
Canadiens were up 2-1 in the series and were leading 3-0 after two periods. They win that game and the series is 3-1 and they're up for the conference finals.

But then, the Hurricanes scored 3 goals in the third period and won it 4-3 in overtime. Pretty dramatic, especially the way the goals were scored (especially the tying goal with just a few seconds left in the game). Then, they won the next two games 5-1 and 8-2 to claim the series... talk about a change of momentum.

I still maintain that you could see even in game 3 that Theo was running on fumes. He carried the Habs for 3 months to get into the playoffs, was the main reason they defeated Boston and was getting worn out.

In the third period of game three I started to notice subtle changes in his style. His hands were dropping a bit, he was playing closer to the crease to limit how far he had to move, he stayed down a couple of seconds longer than before. More than anything though it was mental fatigue. His anticipation wasn't as sharp and he'd have to make big acrobatic saves because of it.

Anyway I was the only person I knew calling for a switch for game 5 to give him a rest and a chance to get his energy back. We'll never know if it would have worked, but all the problems I started to see in game 3 continued in game 4 and really started to get worse in game 5 and 6.

As for the topic of the thread, I would guess Pete Peeters wishes he could have stopped 1 of the 5 goals Gretz scored in that one game to give him 50 in 39.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Malefic74 said:
As for the topic of the thread, I would guess Pete Peeters wishes he could have stopped 1 of the 5 goals Gretz scored in that one game to give him 50 in 39.

I'd have preferred him to stop Nystrom instead ..... :madfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad