GDT: GAME ONE...of the 2nd half: Big Apple vs. Big Mess

Discussion in 'Colorado Avalanche' started by Pokecheque, Jan 4, 2019.

?

Who will be the Goat of the Game?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2019.
  1. Erik Johnson

11.1%
  2. Someone with the name "Tyson"

20.0%
  3. Gabriel Bourque

8.9%
  4. Mikko Rantanen

11.1%
  5. Jared Bednar

6.7%
  6. A Goalie

26.7%
  7. Some random guy in the stands

15.6%
  1. hooverdam

hooverdam Registered User

Four goals, six goals...the scoring is coming back. That's huge.

2. Avs44

Avs44 Registered User

On the Rangers side of things, Zuccarello was just a disaster tonight. It stood out to me because normally he's pretty fun to watch. Doesn't look like he cares. Went and looked at his stats...just 14 points on the year, just 6 even strength points. He said this last month:
    That's a dude who's mailed it in hard. The Rangers should have traded him a while ago, because right now his value has to be plummeting. Sort of disappointing to watch, because he's always been someone I've liked.

Vesey also stood out to me in a bad way tonight. Just not a very good player. Remember when he was a big deal as a UFA leaving the Preds.

3. dahrougem2

dahrougem2 Registered User

If the Rangers would like to trade us Zuccarello and it doesn't cost too much I would gladly oblige.

Colorado Avalanche and Murzu like this.
  4. forsbergavs32

forsbergavs32 Registered User

After watching the game, that was the best this team has looked in a month. They were all over the place in a good way, the only guy I didn’t care for was O’Conner

On another note, despite the score the Rags goalie looked real real good. He didn’t have a chance on 5 of the 6 goals scored. Might end up a good replacement whenever they trade Hank or he retires.

5. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    Solid win, but holy smokes that Rangers goal just keeps pissing me off, lol. Freakin' Johnson.

missionAvs and The Kingslayer like this.
  6. AvsFan29

AvsFan29 Registered User

A bunch of us were posting about how he's been good recently, and then he missed that pass 30 seconds later.

I didn't see a replay, so I don't know if it bounced or if he just missed it, but as a defenceman, he should know, when he has that much space, you use your skate to make sure that pass doesn't go through you.

It's not like he was going to one-time it.

7. Steve Varlamov

Steve Varlamov Registered User

Business Boy
    Didn’t get a chance to catch the game since I was at a comedy show tonight, but I saw some people wearing Rangers gear downtown after the game and rubbed in the loss.

They kept shouting, “Rangers! Rangers!”

So I shout, “Lost! Lost!”

They shut up after that. Fun was had by all. And also beer.

CobraAcesS likes this.
  8. The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer Registered User

Just finished watching the game.

1. Great bounce back game from Grubs tonight. Solid all night. Cant fault him on the lone goal but he made some nice saves along the way.

2. Mackinnon was doing watever he wanted to do tonight. Hands, decision making and using his speed were all on point tonight. More of that please.

3. Mikko had his best game in a about a month. Very good tonight. Moved his feet and looked dangerous with the puck all night.

4. Barrie was the good Barrie tonight. No defensive lapses and the stat line looked great.

5. Cole might have been the only player I didnt like tonight. Gets beat by a junior move and was pretty god awful with the puck all night turning it over left and right. Against a great team those might have ended up in the back of the net.

6. Ryan Graves had yet another good showing tonight and made the decision to keep him up even harder. As far as im concerned its a no brainer. Nemeth out. Graves in when Z gets back. Graves did have that brain fart on the Vessey goal which might have been his only glaring mistake since being called up but he followed it up with a goal. Hard not to cheer the kid on. Keep him around until his play starts to slip.

7. Second line was good all night. JTC really is a ****in ******* to play against and I love it. Jost was skating well all night. Kerfoot was engaged. Really liked what I saw from all three guys tonight.

8. Special teams was good tonight and if not for georgiev that would have been a 5-0 game after the first. Alot of chrisp passes and good decision making from everyone on the PP tonight.

9. Bork out. Avs win. Not a coincidence.

10. Really liked Calverts game tonight. For a guy I despised nearly the entire year hes been playing some solid solid hockey the last 10 games or so. Really liked his game tonight and didnt look like a lost confused puppy on the PK.

9. The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer Registered User

Haha if that goal made it a 2-1 game I would have been livid aswell. EJ had a pretty solid game tonight but watching the repaly and seeing how he "accepted" that pass was hilarious. Hockey schools are going to show their kids how not receive a pass using that gaffe by EJ as an example.

10. klozge

klozge Avs

Home Page:
    Glad, I didn't hold on to this decision. :)

11. Tommy Shelby

Tommy Shelby Registered User

Why are there no assists on the Graves goal? Because a Rags player had the puck deflect off his stick?

12. Ceremony

Ceremony ______________

Home Page:
    Quality effort from the Altitude boys tonight

[​IMG]

He said it!

LTC Pain likes this.
  13. JordoMack

JordoMack Registered User

I am a fan of keeping graves up and playing over nemeth. He seemed to make some solid decisions and is an active dman when given the ability. Even just small defensive plays. The other game he went down to a knee to block a pick at our blue line and move it up. Nemeth in that situation backs off and let's the other team take it imo. Just seems like a good smart player

14. Pokecheque

Pokecheque armoredheadspace Sponsor

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    ****in' FINALLY...

What a bizarre game. Rangers were playing like complete idiots the whole time. Georgiev kept it from being 12-1.

Yes. He should have been, in fact he should've been dealt in the offseason. But he still didn't look near as bad to me as that effing giraffe Chris Kreider. I've followed the Rangers for a while and he's a continual disappointment, he's a surly punk who has all the tools and no toolbox. I feel bad for Zucc...he put his all into a team that promptly pulled the rug out from under him and Lundqvist and now he's kinda in limbo.

Rangers are doing the exact same thing they did when they entered a "rebuild" with Jagr and a then-rookie Henrik Lundqvist. They had better-than-expected results and then promptly went right back to what got them in trouble in the first place. I've zero faith they'll actually stick to it. That letter was lip service and little more. One big trade and...nothing. If they actually divest themselves of Hayes and Zuccarello like they should have a lot earlier, I'll be mildly surprised.

I honestly think the Avs dodged a bullet with David Quinn. He doesn't impress me at all. I've no doubt it's him who has the Rangers playing "tougher" and you can see the results. Ridiculous.

Last thought: That wasn't the best I've seen Tyson Jost play, but it was definitely the angriest. I'd like to see more of that guy...just maybe not trying to take on Adam McQuaid.

CobraAcesS and McMetal like this.
  15. Goulet17

Goulet17 Registered User

Some may have forgotten (I may have missed any posts), but Tyson Jost and Adam McQuaid have a history.

16. Goulet17

Goulet17 Registered User

One thing that seemed odd to me about last night was how many times a NY player was able to get behind the defense for breakaways or dangerous opportunities. I am not sure what is going on, but it is not something that was new necessarily. It seems like Colorado's defensemen are trying to pinch and play aggressively, but they are not reading each other and the other defensive partner in that situation is not taking a more conservative, defensive posture.

It is not one defensive player that seems to be making the mistake. Teams almost seem to be planning for it against the Avs and trying to take advantage. Some of it last night was due to the score and the Rangers taking chances, but it does seem to happen more frequently than with other teams.

17. Avs425

Avs425 Colorado MacKinnon

I think maybe also due to the fact that the Avs were up on the score board and really dominating the entire game gave the Avs the "go ahead" to go full offence and take more risks. Everyone wanted to score last night to rid themselves of those 7 game losing streak demons. I wouldn't read too much into it until we see how the D come out and play in the next game.

18. Pokecheque

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    I was way more concerned at the defensive zone breakdowns and utter failure to tie up guys parked in the slot. They have GOT to figure that out, it's ridiculous how much of an open path they leave for guys in scoring position.

One thing they did do much better in this game was pick up the trailing player on the drop pass. During the losing streak they were outright terrible at that.

CobraAcesS likes this.
  19. Steerpike

Steerpike We are never give up

Member of the Patriarchy
    I feel like the PP units need to slightly adjust the drop pass entry play. It's so effective because it causes the opposition to stop skating at their blue line, allowing a blazing fast MacKinnon to pick his entry point. However recently I've notticed all of the other Avs ALSO stop skating and just stare at Nate.

Nate sure does pass the puck in the slot a lot for having a huge league lead in shots. I've never been much of a yell-"SHOOT"-at-players fan but he's sort of drivin me nuts.

20. I always yell SHOOT while banging on the glass.

21. McMetal

McMetal Writer of Wrongs

I just don't see how Nemeth doesn't get bumped down to #7 duty when Z comes back. He's an adequate warm body, but has little upside. If Graves can keep playing this up-tempo game and jumping up smartly, there's no way he goes back to the AHL, he's got his own limitations but I'm sold at least on Graves > Nemeth.

CobraAcesS, JordoMack and BrickAHL like this.
  22. Iracundia

Iracundia Registered User

As much as I would like to see this, I think we need see Graves on the PK before that could happen.

JordoMack likes this.
  23. JordoMack

I'm on that train too. Let z have nemeths pk time maybe? Nemeth should sit. Hes so passive. I get trying to play safe and smart but plays to get the puck up help the offense too and sometimes you gotta take chances. Just pick your spots.

24. JordoMack

Another good point. If he's passable get nemeth the hell out

25. Pokecheque

Wannabe Blogger
    Home Page:
    Nemeth has been okay far as I'm concerned. He's not icing it like he used to, he's skating it to the red line before flinging it down the ice, which is fine. Only glaring thing about him is that when the puck comes back to him on the point he doesn't do much with it...he was kinda/sorta able to get that short slapshot through traffic last season.

Barberio is more concerning to me. This is the 2nd time in two seasons he's missed major time due to injury. And his bad play was way, way worse than Nemeth at his worst.

I'd like to see more from Graves for sure, but I don't think he's a clear-cut above Nemeth already. Keep in mind he's still playing a very sheltered role, and at times has been overly aggressive, but for the most part his pinches and stepping up to lay the big hit have been good. Either way, we're looking at a very, very small sample size, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I was intrigued to see more.

Bender and CobraAcesS like this.