GDT: GAME ONE of 2019: Slumps vs. Sharks

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Varly had good starts and bad starts.
Grubi had good starts and bad starts.

Both are as inconsitent as it gets - like the rest of the team.
Grubauer is not in Varly's league. Varly may not be the answer (injured again) but Grubauer is a below average NHL goalie.

Edit: Not saying Avs would have won this game with Varly. A coaching change is badly needed imo.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Grubauer is not in Varly's league. Varly may not be the answer (injured again) but Grubauer is a below average NHL goalie.

Edit: Not saying Avs would have won this game with Varly. A coaching change is badly needed imo.

Holy overreaction Batman. He had a poor game, but he showed plenty of times in Washington that he is a very good goalie. How about we give him more than a dozen and a half games before we write his eulogy?

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
The Universe is basically trying to tell Jared that Frank should be our starter for awhile. Will he listen? Outlook not so good.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Holy overreaction Batman. He had a poor game, but he showed plenty of times in Washington that he is a very good goalie. How about we give him more than a dozen and a half games before we write his eulogy?
No. I really don't want to see more of him.
Edit: I've been saying this since the pre-season, though. So it's hardly an overreaction.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No. I really don't want to see more of him.
Edit: I've been saying this since the pre-season, though. So it's hardly an overreaction.
How the hell is it not an overreaction then? His track record for Caps was pretty damn good. And he's been good in most of the games, there's absolutely no reason to be all doom and gloom after 18 games. It's not like he was horrible in every single game he played.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I still hope Sakic trades one of our goalies before the deadline, I honestly think keeping all three is the worst move possible. Imagine if Varly walks at the end of the season and Francouz decides to test free agency because he wasn't given a decent chance either. Uhg.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
How the hell is it not an overreaction then? His track record for Caps was pretty damn good. And he's been good in most of the games, there's absolutely no reason to be all doom and gloom after 18 games. It's not like he was horrible in every single game he played.
Caps were a pretty damn good team and he lost the net as soon as they actually needed good goaltending because teams play a bit harder in the playoffs. He just isn't a goalie you can rely on. It's a shame because I've been waiting for a German to be on this team ever since Krupp played here but he's not good enough.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Caps were a pretty damn good team and he lost the net as soon as they actually needed good goaltending because teams play a bit harder in the playoffs. He just isn't a goalie you can rely on. It's a shame because I've been waiting for a German to be on this team ever since Krupp played here but he's not good enough.
As soon as they needed good goaltending? He was the most important reason they made the playoffs, to begin with given how piss poor Holtby has been. Grubauer has been an absolute wall for them late in the season and dragged them to the playoffs. Talk about creating a narrative that has absolutely no basis in reality.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Hi guys, I just wanted to say that imo Bednar probably lost this game for us and I think he is probably one of the worst during game coaches in the league. Bork was pure garbage on the first PK where his failed clear attempst lead to the goal, and what Bednar does? He puts him on the first PK unit against 5 on 3 where he failed to clear again. I was screaming at screen when I saw Bork on that PK.

I noticed Grauber was shaky and not focused from the first minute of the game, and after he all0wed that Kane goal I was again shouting at the screen to change the goalie but Bednar wanted one more just to be sure we cant recover after that. Imo that is serious lack of coaching skill when he cant predict such an obvious pattern.

I am so frustrated with his lack of actions during games, and stuff like not calling the TO in the crucial moments, too many men penalties and embarrassing performances in OT. It should be no brainer to fire his ass if we dont make the PO this year. He managed to avoid the responsability for the worst record of any team in the modern era of NHL and am not sure that was entirely on the players.

I would give him the rest of this season, and if something doesnt changes I think we need to expolore other coaching options.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
As soon as they needed good goaltending? He was the most important reason they made the playoffs, to begin with given how piss poor Holtby has been. Grubauer has been an absolute wall for them late in the season and dragged them to the playoffs. Talk about creating a narrative that has absolutely no basis in reality.
Sure. Whatever.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
0-4-2 since Zadorov got injured. Like Patrick Bordeleau that one year, he is obviously the key to winning.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hi guys, I just wanted to say that imo Bednar probably lost this game for us and I think he is probably one of the worst during game coaches in the league. Bork was pure garbage on the first PK where his failed clear attempst lead to the goal, and what Bednar does? He puts him on the first PK unit against 5 on 3 where he failed to clear again. I was screaming at screen when I saw Bork on that PK.

I noticed Grauber was shaky and not focused from the first minute of the game, and after he all0wed that Kane goal I was again shouting at the screen to change the goalie but Bednar wanted one more just to be sure we cant recover after that. Imo that is serious lack of coaching skill when he cant predict such an obvious pattern.

I am so frustrated with his lack of actions during games, and stuff like not calling the TO in the crucial moments, too many men penalties and embarrassing performances in OT. It should be no brainer to fire his ass if we dont make the PO this year. He managed to avoid the responsability for the worst record of any team in the modern era of NHL and am not sure that was entirely on the players.

I would give him the rest of this season, and if something doesnt changes I think we need to expolore other coaching options.
Didn’t Bednar start rolling Mackinnon through separate lines at opportune moments, start a complete press game and almost lead the team to a 4 goal comeback?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Sure. Whatever.
Nice retort. Just FYI, Grubauer closed out the last season posting a 93.5% in his last 15 appearances, posting a record of 10 wins, 3 losses and 2 no decisions (kept his net clean on both occasions). In those appearances, he cracked the 93% 9 times, had 92.9% two more times, and three games under 90%.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

If memory serves, he only had one or two years of solid play for them. Before the expansion he wasn't even on anyone's radar.

I still feel as I did at the start of the season. Gru hasn't shown enough for me to be confident in his starting abilities. Meanwhile Franco has been solid combined with the AHL.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If memory serves, he only had one or two years of solid play for them. Before the expansion he wasn't even on anyone's radar.

I still feel as I did at the start of the season. Gru hasn't shown enough for me to be confident in his starting abilities. Meanwhile Franco has been solid combined with the AHL.
He had two good NHL seasons and before he was a fairly well-rated prospect. Kind of funny to praise Francouz when he hasn't show 1% of what Grubauer has at the big league level. And I say this as someone who was pretty excited when we signed him having watched him play in the KHL quite a bit.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Francouz should get the start against the Rangers, this team needs a spark and both Grubauer and Varlamov haven't been able to provide that, on the contrary. It's also the perfect oportunity to get a good look at Francouz at the NHL level.

Long term i tend to think going with Grubauer and Francouz makes the most sense, but Grubauer being this bad makes it difficult to let Varlamov go.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The recent trend of picking up a back-up who's stuck behind a top 10 goalie and hoping their small sample size holds up isn't consistent, and there was no guarantee Grubauer would establish himself here. However, I can't imagine anything other than him being at least the starter to begin with next year, given the contract situations of our three goalies.

The chance for success with this arrangement is up for debate.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
He had two good NHL seasons and before he was a fairly well-rated prospect. Kind of funny to praise Francouz when he hasn't show 1% of what Grubauer has at the big league level. And I say this as someone who was pretty excited when we signed him having watched him play in the KHL quite a bit.

I know it seems backwards given Franco's proof so far, but I have a hard time believing in Grub over him. Strong prospect, yes. But barely playing backup quality hockey (again, if memory serves). Grub just doesn't have the pedigree to say he will be a starter for us anymore than Franco does in my opinion. Lots of good backups on good teams went on to never make the leap. Meanwhile at least Franco is showing he can handle the starter's load quite well in the AHL and in his limited reliefs in the NHL he's been superb. Grub hasn't really done much in relief even.

Fair shake or not, I feel like at this point Grub has to prove some of us wrong rather than still get the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
All I can say is he has yet to prove that he can play well on a team that isn't a top tier team like Washington. Lots of trash starts with a few glimpses of decency is not starting goalie material. He had more than few chances to take the starting job and run with it, but can't seem to do it, I'm getting really fed up with him.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
People are blaming Grubauer for the same reason that many are blaming Varlamov, because it is an easy and simple answer. It would be nice to think that goaltending is the primary issue, because it suggests an easier fix. While the goaltending has been spotty at times, the current issues with the Avs go far beyond who is playing in net. One issue is that the special teams have seemingly imploded. I don't know how big a part of the problem rests with the coaching, but it does seem like teams have really scouted and prepared for the Avs in all facets of play lately.

As far as Varlamov, I see that many posters are firmly behind him going forward, which is fine. I will say that it should be evident (or at least highly likely) that he will not be with the organization past July, if you can take Colorado's prior treatment of players approaching UFA status as any kind of precedent. Varly's latest injury woes likely only seal his fate with Colorado.

Reactions: Ivan13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad