GDT: GAME ONE of 2019: Slumps vs. Sharks

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Frankie looks technically better than Grubauer. He can also handle a puck on his stick unlike Varly.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Frankie looks technically better than Grubauer. He can also handle a puck on his stick unlike Varly.

I think it was either the 2nd or 3rd goal on Grubauer bothered me more than anything. You have a shark with the puck at a sharp angle at the circle, so why in the hell are you not up against the post? Plus there was another one where he was out of position and just didn’t even seem to bother. I’ve been defending him this year but that was just god awful by him.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Dang. Another loss eh? Wasn't able to watch this one but you have to wonder what in the hell this team needs to do to start righting the ship. Judging from some of the posts, it seems that Grubs did not have a good game which just points to us having two terribly inconsistent above average goalies. This team just hasn't found that next elite starter after Roy unfortunately. Time to give Paul Frank a shot.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Haven't been convinced with Grubauer all season. He's a good goalie, but I don't think he's the answer at all. The drop off in athleticism is quite obvious between him and Varly (when he's healthy)

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
I hate Patrik Nemeth more and more every game. I also hate Gabriel Bourque with a passion. That first Sharks goal is directly on him. The puck is right on his ****ing stick and he completely whiffs on it.
Him and f***ing Borke are f***ing useless this year. I have zero idea why Bednar puts Bork on the pk. He doesn't do shit jack all on the PK and is more of a detriment than a positive. He had the hand eye of a f***ing absolutely plastered barrie.

As much as I hate bork, he does well on the 4th line but having him on the top unit PK is KILLING our PK

Reactions: The Kingslayer

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
I'm glad that people are coming to senses regarding Grubauer. He could be a good back up but he has too many flaws to be a succesful starting goalie. Some how he managed to evade loss column marker again despite of being the one responsible for a loss. If Varly is still banged up Francouz should be given a fair chance to show what he is able to do.

One thing that amazes me is that Grubauer seems to have quite poor core strength even though Mitch Korn has used medicine ball with Holtby quite much. Grubauer can't stay upwards when things are happening around the net and he falls on his ass way too easily.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
My biggest gripe on Grubauer is his positioning. He always seems to be a foot out of position like on the Kane goal for instance. If he’s just a few inches to his left that puck hits him in the chest, but he left just enough room for Kane to slide that puck top shelf. We had better hope Francouz can do something because we need someone to steal a game for us whether it’s a goalie or the top line getting hot again.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
My biggest gripe on Grubauer is his positioning. He always seems to be a foot out of position like on the Kane goal for instance. If he’s just a few inches to his left that puck hits him in the chest, but he left just enough room for Kane to slide that puck top shelf. We had better hope Francouz can do something because we need someone to steal a game for us whether it’s a goalie or the top line getting hot again.
If he has his catching glove up that goal might not go in either. He looked like a little kid playing street hockey on that goal.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Whoo, it is a bitch to watch a game you know they are going to lose.

Frank looks like Robo cop out there. Just lazer focused, and extremely fast. He reminds me of a young Quick actually.

JT Compher is like a damn coal miner, just blue collar all day all the time, and earns his paycheck.

Jost got lucky AF, still didn't think he was great. Not quite as painful as of late though. Honestly if Jost could learn to have a sniper's mentality of finding soft ice and letting his team mates do most of the work I think he'd actually be a good trigger man. Just handle the puck as little as possible, back check, and try to find soft ice. Maybe a James Neal type game without the dirty shit, but I'd take it if Jost became a sob too.

Graves is like a more engaged, a bit less physical, more agile version of Zadorov. Some of the times he just made the simple play, and even had a sequence where he was pressured and held the puck instead of putting it up off the glass into nowhere or icing it in panic. He might be the most fun to watch third pairing D I've seen on this team in terms of talent and role not including guys who are expected to have more upside like Z or G. It is really cool to see a guy like that pick his spots, jump into some plays, and just keep things simple not stupid.

Its very surprising how much poise he has played with considering his NHL experience. I'm not sure Girard had that much ice in his veins in hist first few NHL games. Graves just has the mindset right now that the puck coming off his stick should have some purpose even if it is at least an aerial soft pass that is 50/50 but usually he takes a little off it to give it a good chance of not being an icing. That is something Nemeth never does. If he is firing hes aiming for the far corner with a pretty much whatever on his forward having a prayer of getting a piece of it.

Graves is deferring to Nemeth way less also. Great sign of some confidence IMO. We'll see if it goes to his head and he starts pushing beyond his capabilities or if he maintains a smart simple game. Right now hes working his D partner out of a job lol.

EJ was good too, and it didn't get much time but I like the attempt to use him as the right hander on the wall for the second unit. That will be interesting to see if it bares fruit if they keep up with it. Apparently EJ has to be treated like an OFD otherwise his brain just quits. Put Cole with him, and give Graves a try with Barrie. Wouldn't that be a test for the kid lol? Graves could be an interesting partner for Barrie too because like Cole hes not shown to be completely devoid of puck skill like Nemeth.

Top line was meh, Landy over handling the puck, MacK was good, and Mikko was generally invisible. I think it is kind of interesting that the better MacK looks the worse Mikko looks, and vise versa during their stretches. The more in command MacK looks on that line the more of a back seat Mikko seems to take. I'm even more in favor of splitting them for a stretch than I was before.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
If we stay this course, or if Sakic stays this course (no Trades, changes, whatever), so be it. I´m ok with it. Our rebuild isn´t over. But prepare for the probable outcome of this season: No playoffs. We are playing against Chicago (2x) and LA at home and only gain 2 f***ing points. Whenever our games are going into OT, well, that´s it. Every single time a loss. This team shows only up for 20 minutes a night, THAT are our main problems up to date, not losing against a very good team like the Sharks or Tampa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->