OT: Game Of Thrones

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
when you get threw the lul of #7-9 then you get rewarded. between Lan, Rand and Matt, you get rewarded in end.
Ive read alot of novels and Matrim Cauthon is one of my favourite characters i have had the pleasure to follow:laugh:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Matt is the only reason to read the series.

That said, the last book was actually ok.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I don't think they are very concerned with properly representing character ages. Take Robb Stark for instance... looks 25 on the show, is 15/16 in the book.
George actually has said he regrets making them so young at the start so I think the shows representation is ok age wise.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Yeah one more day.

Just finished watching both seasons and started on book 2

One more sleep!

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
I'm actually in the middle of The Wheel of Time right now. Just about through the 7th book. Loving it so far, though this series also has a tendency to move quite slow.

GoT is outstanding, and The Wheel of Time could have been decent, and was for for the first few books. I hate to tell you this, but by book 9 you'll probably stop reading like I did - over thousand pages of nothing (unless you like reading a full chapter of what kind of dress Egwene is going wear and why- yeah, that bad). Robert Jordan, IMO, got a severe case of writers block, but had to publish something so he did. What drivel the last few books were - didn't bother wasting any more money.

GRRM on the other hand, outstanding writer. There was only one character I didn't like reading, but the ending of book three even changed that for me. If you read GRRM, you'll won't bother with the rest of Jordan's craptacular series. It's too bad as TWOT started very strong and was very promising.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Just a reminder...use the [SPOIL] tags or you'll be forum banned from every section of HF except the Canucks board and be renamed to "Bieksa's#1fan". ;)

I didn't get to see it tonight, so I'm gonna have to watch it tomorrow. :(

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
One would imagine that HBO has some kind of agreement in place with GRRM to finish the books to fit the timeline of the show. You can't exactly have a 5 year break in between shooting seasons. That being said, I don't think you'll hear him give a timeline until the next one is ready to publish.

There's no worry about the tv series catching up with the books. Season three is only half of Storm of Swords, second half is season four. A Feast for Crows should fit into one season, season five. A Dance with Dragons will probably be two seasons, seasons six and seven. So four years should be enough time for starting to film the two (or even three) seasons of The Winds of Winter.

My biggest fear is the show becomes too expensive and HBO cuts production before all the books are filmed.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
There's no worry about the tv series catching up with the books. Season three is only half of Storm of Swords, second half is season four. A Feast for Crows should fit into one season, season five. A Dance with Dragons will probably be two seasons, seasons six and seven. So four years should be enough time for starting to film the two (or even three) seasons of The Winds of Winter.

My biggest fear is the show becomes too expensive and HBO cuts production before all the books are filmed.

i think you could put DwD into one book, there is a LOT of character stuff that could be compressed into a shorter time frame in DwD

SoS is being done in 2 seasons because there are about 8 crazy things that happen in the book... i also think the HBO folks are trying to give GRRM another year head-start on the final 2 books

you are right though, there is MORE than enough material to drag out another season or two if GRRM is a little behind in his publishing (and we know *that* won't happen right? lol)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Everyone started out older than they were in the books. The only problem will be with the youngest ones. That's where most of the change happens. Arya, Bran and Rickon will physically change the most. With makeup and costumes, everyone else will look more or less the same through the series.

i don't really think it's a big deal at all to be honest

the book portrays the characters as much older than we think of 16 year olds nowadays... for instance, nobody would expect a 16 year old to be picked as a leader and lead entire armies, but that is exactly what robb stark does in the book... the same goes for the actions of arya and all the other young characters

additionally, actors that are in their mid-20s play teenagers all the time in movies, that is practically the norm actually.... i don't think it will be a big deal for this to happen in GoT either

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
That scene with Tyrion and Tywin was great.

Thought the episode was great, very dialogue heavy, but left me immediately counting down to next Sunday. Haven't read any of the books, so not sure if the books read the same way the show is laid out, but I find the directors/producers have it down to a fine science just how much time/story to allot to each character.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Just to clarify on the spoiler free thing. I think we should only go as far as where the TV show has left off. If a poster hasn't watched for a bit and is behind on the show, then they can't really complain about spoilers. So if you aren't up to date with where the show has left off and want to avoid learning anything before you get a chance to watch, then I'd advise you stay out of this thread.

Everyone understand and ok with that?

makes sense.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Spoiler Alert:

Liked everything about the 1st episode except two things:

1. No Strong Belwas! How could they leave the greatest "comic relief" character out of the show! Big disappointment.

2. Having Selmy admit who he is straightaway. I get that since he's already been on the show in season 1 the whole "Whitebeard" angle may have been hard to pull off, but it still blows that they've done away with the mystery involved.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I'm Team Dany. her scenes yesterday were quite engaging. i'm too hyped on her POV. lol

Tywin just straight pooped on Tyrion. lol.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Agreed with Bangers, the end of that scene was disappointing but when put into a 10 episode season context I understand why Selmy came clean right away. He's one of my favourite characters from the novels. And I'm holding out hope that SB makes an appearance...

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Spoiler Alert:

Liked everything about the 1st episode except two things:

1. No Strong Belwas! How could they leave the greatest "comic relief" character out of the show! Big disappointment.

2. Having Selmy admit who he is straightaway. I get that since he's already been on the show in season 1 the whole "Whitebeard" angle may have been hard to pull off, but it still blows that they've done away with the mystery involved.

i just don't know how they would have hidden him from the people watching the show... in the book, GRRM is rather coy about the descriptions, and you don't actually see the persons face for yourself, but on TV you couldn't hide the fact that it was selmy... it worked in the book very well, i just don't think it would have had the same effect at all on TV... it would just confuse people to see the actor playing a 2nd character... they would have to do some cheesy aside where the character talks to himself, thus revealing his true identity... i think it was just easier to reveal him right away, so they did

no strong belwas is too bad, i admit ... one of my fave characters from the later books... i really think you're going to see a LOT of characters in daenys story get chopped out though, as there are just SOOOO many that don't really play an integral part in the overall storyline

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad