OT: Game Of Thrones

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Glad to see it's getting such a good reaction. I read the books so long ago and loved it, makes it hard to judge the show on it's own merits. Cant tell if I'm liking the show or my knowledge of the books is clouding that.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I read the books first, then watched the show after. I found I liked that arrangement because it helped lessen the confusion when watching the show, and gave some much needed context to what was happening and why.

I do wonder if GRRM is going to stay alive long enough to finish the last 2 books, or if we're going to have another Robert Jordan situation.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Sorry about the spoilers, it was just two words but I get it. I think some of you are really missing out by not reading and supporting the author though -- like I said, nothing is as vivid and sharp as your own imagination, and written word breathes life and sparks it like nothing else.

The casting has been bang on for a couple of characters, in particular, after having read the books and seeing images (as stated before I still haven't watched the series).

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
I read the books first, then watched the show after. I found I liked that arrangement because it helped lessen the confusion when watching the show, and gave some much needed context to what was happening and why.

I do wonder if GRRM is going to stay alive long enough to finish the last 2 books, or if we're going to have another Robert Jordan situation.
Luckily George talked to HBO and gave them a rough outline for the last 2 books, incase that does happen. So at least the show will have it all.

Musicman798

Feb 28, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The books are an incredible read, and I've not yet watched the series. I am almost reluctant to do so, because it might feel like a letdown -- nothing compares to the vivid clarity of your own imagination. The first time I read about the [spoil]Red Wedding... it literally felt like a punch to the gut.[/spoil] He is a tremendous author, though I've heard books 4 and 5 are slow and not quite as good as the first 3 (haven't hit those two yet but they are bought and sitting there staring at me...).

I've read all five, they all have their slow moments, when you read 4 and 5 they do keep you wanting more, though. I honestly can't wait for the next book to see what happens with certain characters that you get left hanging with at the end of book 5.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011

GRRM has actually expressly said that he would NOT allow anyone else to finish the series if he died before he was done.

Like Diamondillium said, he did share the major plot points to the end of the series with the producers, so at least there's that I suppose.

But I will say this - this is the last time I start reading a book series before it is done. I HATE the wait. I started reading the series last year. Got through all 5 books before watching season 1. The I was like "ooh - can't wait for book 6..." Then I started looking at the publishing dates:

GoT: Aug 1996
CoK: Feb 1999 (2.5 years - long but not bad)
SoS: Nov 2000 (1.75 year - nice)
FfC: Nov 2005 (5 years - not good at all)
DwD: Jul 2011 (over 5 and a half years!!!! Doh!)

A lot of the delays had to do with setting up the TV show, tours and other stuff, but all that aside, he is a very slow writer. It sucks, but Winds of Winter probably won't be out for another couple of years at least, and then A Dream for Spring probably what, 7-8 years from now? Beuh.

Musicman798

Feb 28, 2008
Winnipeg, Manitoba

I'm actually in the middle of The Wheel of Time right now. Just about through the 7th book. Loving it so far, though this series also has a tendency to move quite slow.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
I have about 60 pages left in WoT and at this point I'm only reading to finish it. Brutal series. Before you crucify me however, in my defense I have a lot of down time at work and was loaned each book in the series.

Fans of GoT may also enjoy Canadian author Steven Erickson' Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I've read the first two of that and it's fantastic. It's also already completed so there's no risk of a GRRM happening.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

I read somewhere he has the outline done for the series...just in case

didn't Robert Jordan do that too?

either way, my bro met Martin in 2005 when he came to Chapters for a book signing...

signed my bros' book "Winter is coming"

badass

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I'm actually in the middle of The Wheel of Time right now. Just about through the 7th book. Loving it so far, though this series also has a tendency to move quite slow.

WoT, as much as I loved it for many years, by the end of the 9th book it basically wore me out. I've never gone back to the series, and the odd thing is I'm not entirely sure why.

Book 5 (Lord of Chaos) is one of my all-time favourite Fantasy novels though.

"Kneel...or you will be knelt." BAD. ASS.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Fans of GoT may also enjoy Canadian author Steven Erickson' Malazan Book of the Fallen series. I've read the first two of that and it's fantastic. It's also already completed so there's no risk of a GRRM happening.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check it out. ;)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

this is a pretty widely held worry among the ASOIAF fans... at GRRM's current rate of 1 book/6 years, we're likely in pretty big trouble

the good news is that he has told a select few HBO people how the story will finish... i'm assuming HBO wasn't willing to pay him millions without the assurance of knowing how it would all end... so even if GRRM does die, we'll at least get the ending that GRRM wanted... sure, it won't be as good as the books, and lots of smaller storylines wouldn't be wrapped up, but at least it would be better than the "wheel of time" or "dune" books

edit: i see others have pointed the HBO stuff out as well

Last edited:

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Anyone read the books or seen the show? Im on the 3rd book and im trying to read as fast as I can before the start of the 3rd season. Sorry if there's a thread on this already just didn't want to go and search for an old thread to bump.

Who else is pumped for 3rd season?

Btw, not sure if this had been mentioned before but.

Brienne Of Tarth
Brienne+of+Tarth.jpg

Lennart Petrell
i

:handclap:

finish that 3rd book ASAP. its WAY better than the TV show could ever do it justice.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
But I will say this - this is the last time I start reading a book series before it is done. I HATE the wait. I started reading the series last year. Got through all 5 books before watching season 1. The I was like "ooh - can't wait for book 6..." Then I started looking at the publishing dates:

GoT: Aug 1996
CoK: Feb 1999 (2.5 years - long but not bad)
SoS: Nov 2000 (1.75 year - nice)
FfC: Nov 2005 (5 years - not good at all)
DwD: Jul 2011 (over 5 and a half years!!!! Doh!)

A lot of the delays had to do with setting up the TV show, tours and other stuff, but all that aside, he is a very slow writer. It sucks, but Winds of Winter probably won't be out for another couple of years at least, and then A Dream for Spring probably what, 7-8 years from now? Beuh.

most of the delays were because he wrote himself into a corner and had no idea how to set up the remainder of the story from what I can gather. Hell if not for the tv show we'd probably still be waiting on aDWD. Being able to tie the new book coming out with the popularity of the show put a lot of pressure on him to finally finish the thing. Hopefully the remainder goes a little quicker now that he's basically set everything up for a bunch of resolutions to start happening.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
most of the delays were because he wrote himself into a corner and had no idea how to set up the remainder of the story from what I can gather. Hell if not for the tv show we'd probably still be waiting on aDWD. Being able to tie the new book coming out with the popularity of the show put a lot of pressure on him to finally finish the thing. Hopefully the remainder goes a little quicker now that he's basically set everything up for a bunch of resolutions to start happening.

One would imagine that HBO has some kind of agreement in place with GRRM to finish the books to fit the timeline of the show. You can't exactly have a 5 year break in between shooting seasons. That being said, I don't think you'll hear him give a timeline until the next one is ready to publish.

mxk83

Apr 10, 2006
Books are awesome, I'm 1/2 way through book 5 ADWD. The show has done an amazing job so far, first season was about as perfect as can be. Second season was great, but unfortunately the 2nd book was much better as a book and doesnt translate to the TV screen as well (So much thought and scheming!).

Storm of swords however was my favorite book thusfar, which makes me think the 3rd and 4th seasons of Game of Thrones will be epic. ASoS should translate as well as the first season did.

I'm curious how they will put books 4 and 5 together for TV.

I've never been more excited for a TV series to resume as I am for Game of Thrones season 3!

Valar Morghulis!

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
One would imagine that HBO has some kind of agreement in place with GRRM to finish the books to fit the timeline of the show. You can't exactly have a 5 year break in between shooting seasons. That being said, I don't think you'll hear him give a timeline until the next one is ready to publish.

Well, he has a few years. They're breaking up book 3 into 2 seasons, and will probably end up doing the same for books 4 and 5. Assuming that the producers need the story to be able to do the screenplay, casting, shooting, etc at least a year ahead of time, if he can get book 6 out before then end of 2014, that would give him another ~3-4 years to get the last one done.

I wonder what they are going to do with the actors and timelines - Arya is not going to look like a 10 year old girl in 5 years - she's 16 now...

mxk83

Apr 10, 2006
Well, he has a few years. They're breaking up book 3 into 2 seasons, and will probably end up doing the same for books 4 and 5. Assuming that the producers need the story to be able to do the screenplay, casting, shooting, etc at least a year ahead of time, if he can get book 6 out before then end of 2014, that would give him another ~3-4 years to get the last one done.

I wonder what they are going to do with the actors and timelines - Arya is not going to look like a 10 year old girl in 5 years - she's 16 now...

I don't think they are very concerned with properly representing character ages. Take Robb Stark for instance... looks 25 on the show, is 15/16 in the book.

Neilio

Navi-X, Google it
Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I don't think they are very concerned with properly representing character ages. Take Robb Stark for instance... looks 25 on the show, is 15/16 in the book.

Everyone started out older than they were in the books. The only problem will be with the youngest ones. That's where most of the change happens. Arya, Bran and Rickon will physically change the most. With makeup and costumes, everyone else will look more or less the same through the series.

UncleDal

Metal Thrasing Mad
Aug 8, 2010
Edmonton
I just finished the 3rd book which I just flew by. About to start the 4th after my small break from reading too much.

Does anyone know when the "Dances with Dragons" paperback book comes out? I read it was supposed to be on the 26th but it was delayed.

UncleDal

Metal Thrasing Mad
Aug 8, 2010
Edmonton
My coworker read that entire series. I wish to start reading those actually. He told me it moves slow but it's all worth it at the end.

undertow

Sep 26, 2007
WoT, as much as I loved it for many years, by the end of the 9th book it basically wore me out. I've never gone back to the series, and the odd thing is I'm not entirely sure why.

Book 5 (Lord of Chaos) is one of my all-time favourite Fantasy novels though.

"Kneel...or you will be knelt." BAD. ASS.

when you get threw the lul of #7-9 then you get rewarded. between Lan, Rand and Matt, you get rewarded in end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad