OT: Game of Thrones SPOILER Discussion - Here be tales of SPOILERS and drinking giant’s milk!!!

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
That’s... not true.

He had all the houses in the North behind him. He has the free folk/wildlings behind him. He has storms end (Gendry/House Baratheon) behind him, plus it’s hinted that others would stand behind him too. He’s a legitimate war hero in the eyes of most of the Westerosi.

If you think GW could just murder Jon Snow and sail off to Qaarth without consequence... It would trigger another war, whether or not the forces standing behind Snow are enough to take down the remaining Unsullied&Dothraki are up to debate, but there would be massive losses regardless of who won. They also don’t have any more dragons, which is what allowed them to win the Battle of Winterfell and take Kings Landing with minimal losses.

I don't think any of Unsullied or Dothraki would care of consequences. He killed Dany he is dead, that's it.

I wish there would have been a scene where Jon Snow is roaming the city all depressed after what he has done and Davos finds him and he's like "the Dothraki are going nuts attacking civilians because Dany is dead and Grey Worm wants your head". Then Jon would try to rally his remaining Northmen to stop the Dothraki. It turns into a guerilla war in the streets of the remaining King's Landing. That would have been the episode instead of endless slow walking.

Actor Charles Dance/Tywin was asked about the ending and said:"Daenerys has just being killed and then it cuts and they choose the next leader over tea basically". Exactly, buddy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't think any of Unsullied or Dothraki would care of consequences. He killed Dany he is dead, that's it.

I wish there would have been a scene where Jon Snow is roaming the city all depressed after what he has done and Davos finds him and he's like "the Dothraki are going nuts attacking civilians because Dany is dead and Grey Worm wants your head". Then Jon would try to rally his remaining Northmen to stop the Dothraki. It turns into a guerilla war in the streets of the remaining King's Landing. That would have been the episode instead of endless slow walking.

Actor Charles Dance/Tywin was asked about the ending and said:"Daenerys has just being killed and then it cuts and they choose the next leader over tea basically". Exactly, buddy.

Ya exactly..I don't get how killing Dany did not start a war in itself. Unlike Cersei, she had a lot of supporters. Even if people want to argue she lost some of her popularity killing those innocent civilians, the Dothrakis, the Unsullied, and the Northmen didn't seem to care one bit as they joined in.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
It's over.
4739566_1.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
SPOILER WARNING FOR GAME OF THRONES - Exit NOW if you don’t want spoilers.

This is a temporary 2-week OT thread, PGT, GDT and PGT dedicated solely to discussing Game of Thrones as we approach the final episode and has been moderator approved.

If you haven’t caught up or see this thread for the first time prior to watching the final episode, STOP READING NOW.

This will be a thread with SPOILERS, so proceed at your own risk. Otherwise, you are allowed to speak FREELY and say whatever is on your mind about the show, theories, insider news, and of course, SPOILERS.

I suggested this to be its own GoT SPOILER thread until the end of the month and for it to be merged with the main TV and movie thread at that time.

Please refrain from discussing GoT in the regular TV and movie thread as you may accidentally blurt a spoiler.

Note that spoiler tags are OPTIONAL in this thread, so be aware of that if it isn’t clear...

There will be SPOILER discussion.

(Yeah, this is a hockey forum, but since our viewing options are limited...)

Thank goodness you’ve created this thread.

I can’t imagine what it would have been like to manage this content in the Movies thread. We’re at 37 pages and counting in this thread, we’ve got quite the rabid GOT fan base.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Thank goodness you’ve created this thread.

I can’t imagine what it would have been like to manage this content in the Movies thread. We’re at 37 pages and counting in this thread, we’ve got quite the rabid GOT fan base.

Honestly, I was annoyed with half the GoT posts in the other thread debating the use of spoiler tags, both for and against. I just wanted a “safe zone” where if people want to discuss GoT without any concerns of spoilers, we should have a place for it. It would also spare the moderators grief of having to edit and delete posts should the need arose once we wrapped the show up last weekend.

Hopefully next weekend, which was when I suggested the thread merge, everyone has caught up. To be frank though, I think that anyone who follows the show, even casually, should know how it ended by now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Honestly, I was annoyed with half the GoT posts in the other thread debating the use of spoiler tags, both for and against. I just wanted a “safe zone” where if people want to discuss GoT without any concerns of spoilers, we should have a place for it. It would also spare the moderators grief of having to edit and delete posts should the need arose once we wrapped the show up last weekend.

Hopefully next weekend, which was when I suggested the thread merge, everyone has caught up. To be frank though, I think that anyone who follows the show, even casually, should know how it ended by now.

I hope they let this run longer until it shows signs of letting up. It’s its own world at this point and respectfully submit that it deserves to have a life of its own for some time yet. Posters are uniquely invested in this, in ways rarely seen in here for an OT thread.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I think the show would have better if the dragons weren’t so big. If they remained medium sized, never growing into massive super-weapons.
No get out of jail free card for the writers.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Ya exactly..I don't get how killing Dany did not start a war in itself. Unlike Cersei, she had a lot of supporters. Even if people want to argue she lost some of her popularity killing those innocent civilians, the Dothrakis, the Unsullied, and the Northmen didn't seem to care one bit as they joined in.

Really feel like they didn't think this through at all. They wanted the show to end and that's it. I can just imagine "umm well all the writers have gone home? umm oh well let's just have Jon Snow goes over Dany and they say some things and he stabs her the End".

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think the show would have better if the dragons weren’t so big. If they remained medium sized, never growing into massive super-weapons.

Just not making the dragons too powerful would have been better. Compare how they did Drogon in Season 7 episode 4 where he was much slower and it felt more magestic. Yet got almost taken down by one scorpion manipulated by Bronn. In 8 x 5 he was untouchable flying at the speed of a super-hero. Even the way he burned things was different as he was doing this slowly in 7 x 4 and even doing some breaks between his spits whereas in 8 x 5, he was an endless cannon flame projector no fatigue. I wish they would have made him less powerful but make him do more things. Like hook himself into some houses with his claws, eats some people like a living gargoyle. A different kind of rampage, not just unlimited fire throwing.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Watching the GOT doc now. Really something seeing all the actors at the read through. Esp. seeing their reactions when a character is killed. Kit was all emotional when he read he was killing Dany cause he was the only one that did not read the script. Emilia was looking at him smiling like "yep".

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Interesting watching the table reading, it seems like originally the last scene was supposed to be Jon Snow stabbing Dany. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better if they had done this. Would have felt really Game of Thrones to do that, you cut the legs of the viewers and boom credits.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
It's funny you say that - because up until the 2nd to last episode, i kept thinking to myself the Dragons were kind of puny and weak. They simply never looked that big or powerful to be able to tip the scales in a war that had tens of thousands of soldiers. They looked to be about the size of an elephant or 2 in some shots.

I think it goes back especially to all the talk of the dragons in prior seasons being able to be what tips the scale in Danerys's favor and helps her conquer Westeros. They always looked too small to be a real differentiator to me. Until i guess they were...

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's funny you say that - because up until the 2nd to last episode, i kept thinking to myself the Dragons were kind of puny and weak. They simply never looked that big or powerful to be able to tip the scales in a war that had tens of thousands of soldiers. They looked to be about the size of an elephant or 2 in some shots.

I think it goes back especially to all the talk of the dragons in prior seasons being able to be what tips the scale in Danerys's favor and helps her conquer Westeros. They always looked too small to be a real differentiator to me. Until i guess they were...
Even if not massive..their opponents are mostly little spears and archers..so..they didnt need to be huge.
Then they created mega spears that can be shot..

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Even if not massive..their opponents are mostly little spears and archers..so..they didnt need to be huge.
Then they created mega spears that can be shot..

But apparently they could only hit one dragon from 10 miles away, and could hit one hovering over Kings Landing with dozens and dozens of Scorpion locations ready to go. Just cringeworthy writing.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
They've apparently started or will start filming the new show. I believe it's set thousands of years before the start of Game of Thrones.

"Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know."

Game of Thrones Prequel Series Explained - GoT Spinoff TV Show Details

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
"Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know."

Game of Thrones Prequel Series Explained - GoT Spinoff TV Show Details

Is it supposed to be a story covered in the books?

It still baffles me how they made the WW and NK so pointless in the end while knowing they were going to do a spin-off show about their origin. I mean, who cares now?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Watching the GOT doc now. Really something seeing all the actors at the read through. Esp. seeing their reactions when a character is killed. Kit was all emotional when he read he was killing Dany cause he was the only one that did not read the script. Emilia was looking at him smiling like "yep".

It was all fake though, they filmed it knowing it was for the after series special,D&D told them to get all emotional for the final read. I worked with Peter Dinklage in the spring, he gave me some juicy gossip. That's right, I just name-dropped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->