TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part IX -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Yes that was posted a while back. These 'theory' things exist because of how detailed GRRM's writing is. You read through the perspective of a specific character each chapter, and while the things they see or hear from others may not have meaning to the POV character it always has meaning and paints a picture of other stories going on without spelling them out.

Dan and David on the other hand, while I'll say they've done a great job with the adaption and an okay job carrying it beyond GRRM's work at this point it's just TV writing. There isn't anything so complex going on anymore, especially at this point, what you see is what you get.

D&D's way of dealing with complex character motives is just to kill them. They couldn't come up with some master plan for Doran Martell so they just made him useless and had him killed off. The whole High Sparrow and Tyrells plot was too complicated for them so they just had Cersei blow them up.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Not sure it's been discussed but I like this theory:

I posted this video - twice! - earlier in the thread and it never really seemed to garner the kind of discussion I had hoped for

I'm firmly onboard with him still being alive. All the signs point to it

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
lmao there is zero chance Littlefinger is still alive. There are 6 episodes left to wrap up this entire series, and he was a side plot at this point.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Dan and Dave couldn't write them selves out of a wet paper bag.

U6RauO2.jpg

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Isn’t this the no book talk thread?

Yes technically it is. The point I brought up I was merely trying to point out the differences between the writers as the reason why that 'theory' is most likely BS, without getting into any details in the actual books. Some of these specific examples though belong in the other thread.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What was extremely poor about it? He was back in a room in front of the Starks, whose father he royally screwed.
LF is one of the smartest persons in the world of GoT. After all, he started the entire thing. And then in season 7 he suddenly comes up with the worst scheme the show has ever seen and at the same time we see the main characters (Arya, Sansa, Bran) figure out said terrible schemen in the laziest way possible. It was bad. Really bad. A return of LF would be redeeming and actually explain why LF's end was that bad (= badly written) in the first place. Because it was part of a bigger (better) plan.

Him convincing a faceless man to take his place (and die for him) would explain a lot. The question is, what is he up to in the meantime?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
LF is one of the smartest persons in the world of GoT. After all, he started the entire thing. And then in season 7 he suddenly comes up with the worst scheme the show has ever seen and at the same time we see the main characters (Arya, Sansa, Bran) figure out said terrible schemen in the laziest way possible. It was bad. Really bad. A return of LF would be redeeming and actually explain why LF's end was that bad (= badly written) in the first place. Because it was part of a bigger (better) plan.

Him convincing a faceless man to take his place (and die for him) would explain a lot. The question is, what is he up to in the meantime?
I dunno. Once Bran came back into the picture it makes anything seem "too easy". Dude can see the past.

I'm sure GRR Martin would have done it better.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I can't really blame them for just wanting to get rid of that plot, it's bad in the books and it was bad on the show.
What we had in the books at least had some direction and fit the theme in some way.

"I want to avenge the Martells by murdering the Martells" was just an insane deviation from the source material.

Also they murdered my boy Hotah.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Really? It's one of the most complex and layered plots in the entire series. Come'on man.
It's a sidebar plot that does a lot of world building but little to move the main story along. They should never have tried to adapt it to the show at all. It deserved the Tom Bombadil treatment.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
It's a sidebar plot that does a lot of world building but little to move the main story along. They should never have tried to adapt it to the show at all. It deserved the Tom Bombadil treatment.

Or its the deepest and and most important plot in the entire series. We won't know until winds comes out.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Or its the deepest and and most important plot in the entire series. We won't know until winds comes out.
Which is part of the problem, he has introduced quite a few side plots that don't currently tie into the overall narrative very well.

We know D&D are working off of am overall plan from GRRM with where the story is headed but that they fill in details and change things as needed. So either Dorne is fairly unimportant like in the show, or someone else got their importance on the show.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
There is a reason that GRRM has been taking so long to write the rest of the series. There are way too many threads to tie together in two books without a lot of them being relegated to nothingness like Robb Stark's aspirations for the Iron Throne.

Reactions: Blender

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not sure it's been discussed but I like this theory:

To add (from the same guy):

I'll say this much...

Re-watching Season 1 right now, and watching how Littlefinger masterfully orchestrated essentially every major event to unfold exactly the way it did... It's simply not believable in the slightest for him to be outsmarted by a pair of teenager girls the way he supposedly was at the end of season 7. It's extremely lazy and unbelievable writing if that truly was the end of littlefinger.

The way he sets up the Starks and the Lannisters against each other and essentially starts a new war out of nothing is remarkable. Flat out he would have long foreseen the events that unfolded between him and the Stark sisters and found an escape route if the show still held true to the beginning.

We'll have to see what happens but to me it would be a disappointment(And sadly an expected one at this point) for his character to have been killed so seemingly easily. Hopefully these theories prove true.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I'll say this much...

Re-watching Season 1 right now, and watching how Littlefinger masterfully orchestrated essentially every major event to unfold exactly the way it did... It's simply not believable in the slightest for him to be outsmarted by a pair of teenager girls the way he supposedly was at the end of season 7. It's extremely lazy and unbelievable writing if that truly was the end of littlefinger.

The way he sets up the Starks and the Lannisters against each other and essentially starts a new war out of nothing is remarkable. Flat out he would have long foreseen the events that unfolded between him and the Stark sisters and found an escape route if the show still held true to the beginning.

We'll have to see what happens but to me it would be a disappointment(And sadly an expected one at this point) for his character to have been killed so seemingly easily. Hopefully these theories prove true.
Littlefinger was THE mastermind. He manipulated and schemed to create most of the events that happened south of the wall. But in any drama, the devious schemer usually has some point which he overlooks or can't account for.

For Littlefinger to not get done in by "two teenage girls" he would have to account for an all-knowing seer. How and why do you think that is the more likely scenario?

Reactions: HanSolo and SimR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->