TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part IX -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I'd rather prefer GoT not explaining its magic and gods. Lost (the series) tried to explain the island's secrets and failed miserably. Just like in real life, whether gods, religion, magic or miracles really exist or to what extend and with what intend or not is up to each and everyone of us individually (believe, trust, ...).

Much like Westeros is just the UK map turned up side down, whatever magic, witchcraft and gods people believe(d) in in our past we'll never know the truth. I'd be surprised if we ever see a "Lord of the Light" or "Red God" figure appear in the show - that at least won't leave room for (mis)interpretation.

Reactions: Vikke

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Exactly! He asks the Lord of Light and the Lord of Light does it, its not Thoros' will!

Sorry that direct quotes from the characters involved counter your argument but I admire you saying that it doesnt matter what any one says and call what characters tell us as a theory, quite entertaining

Um, he still has those powers, duh. When he can use them in his own opinion, is not of his own will he believes.

You are looking pretty foolish here trying to use your own theories as gospel.

Not only is it quite clear all of this is ambiguous to anyone actually paying attention, I’ve already provided the author’s own words confirming that.

Which means Ayra may be getting powers from the Many Faces god, or she has learned how to tap into shape shifting powers. We have no idea, because once again we have no clue which gods exist and where magic in this realm actually derives from.

But do continue on like your made up absolutes are gospel. You are literally trying to tell us something the author has denied. Quite a silly look for yourself.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Um, he still has those powers, duh. When he can use them in his own opinion, is not of his own will he believes.

You are looking pretty foolish here trying to use your own theories as gospel.

Not only is it quite clear all of this is ambiguous to anyone actually paying attention, I’ve already provided the author’s own words confirming that.

Which means Ayra may be getting powers from the Many Faces god, or she has learned how to tap into shape shifting powers. We have no idea, because once again we have no clue which gods exist and where magic in this realm actually derives from.

But do continue on like your made up absolutes are gospel. You are literally trying to tell us something the author has denied. Quite a silly look for yourself.

That quote doesnt prove anything, it doesnt even say anything really. Unless someone was thinking a god was actually going to show up in person to defeat the White Walkers. What it appears he is getting at is maybe there is a bunch of gods or perhaps its all the same god, nothing about a priests power. Not sure why you quoted something not even from the show, something you tried terribly at to give me shit for so its ironic at least

Do you really think Thoros could of revived anyone? No, he asked the Lord of Light to bring Beric back and the Lord of Light wanted to, why? Perhaps to help Jon Snow survive to have a kid with Dany, who knows. Why does the Lord of Light have so many chosen ones anyway? Probably because they have a specific purpose to fulfill, or maybe just trying to hitch itself to a winner

And im not using my own theories, im using actual dialogue that says he has no power and that its the Lord of Light that brings people back from the dead. Not exactly a stretch, well to some

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That quote doesnt prove anything, it doesnt even say anything really. Unless someone was thinking a god was actually going to show up in person to defeat the White Walkers. What it appears he is getting at is maybe there is a bunch of gods or perhaps its all the same god, nothing about a priests power. Not sure why you quoted something not even from the show, something you tried terribly at to give me **** for so its ironic at least

Do you really think Thoros could of revived anyone? No, he asked the Lord of Light to bring Beric back and the Lord of Light wanted to, why? Perhaps to help Jon Snow survive to have a kid with Dany, who knows. Why does the Lord of Light have so many chosen ones anyway? Probably because they have a specific purpose to fulfill, or maybe just trying to hitch itself to a winner

And im not using my own theories, im using actual dialogue that says he has no power and that its the Lord of Light that brings people back from the dead. Not exactly a stretch, well to some

I disagree and we can debate what Thoros meant on and on. His quotes are honestly of little significance and a poor reach on your part to prove an absolute that hasn’t been revealed to us.

The significant quote is the one I’ve already given from the very writer of the Game of Thrones. There is no better authority for this discussion than him.

He flat out says it’s all ambiguous.

So you are obviously being deliberately obtuse so you don’t have to admit being wrong, or you have a reading comprehension issue.

You want to say “hey, this is what I believe...” then that’s cool. However, stop passing your theories off as absolutes.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I disagree and we can debate what Thoros meant on and on. His quotes are honestly of little significance and a poor reach on your part to prove an absolute that hasn’t been revealed to us.

The significant quote is the one I’ve already given from the very writer of the Game of Thrones. There is no better authority for this discussion than him.

So you are obviously being deliberately obtuse so you don’t have to admit being wrong, or you have a reading comprehension issue.

You want to say “hey, this is what I believe...” then that’s cool. However, stop passing your theories off as absolutes.

The politics board was nuked. They have to go somewhere to argue.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009

The problem is you say my argument is my opinion and not fact but think yours is fact. That GRRM quote has zero barring on the discussion, if you think he is saying gods may or may not exist you are wrong, he is not saying that at all. He is discussing the validity between religions and that no god will actually appear to save they day, not that gods may or may not exist as they clearly do

If you are going to completely ignore hard evidence directly from the show just so you can win in your mind there is never going to be an end because facts have no meaning to you

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The problem is you say my argument is my opinion and not fact but think yours is fact. That GRRM quote has zero barring on the discussion, if you think he is saying gods may or may not exist you are wrong, he is not saying that at all. He is discussing the validity between religions and that no god will actually appear to save they day, not that gods may or may not exist as they clearly do

If you are going to completely ignore hard evidence directly from the show just so you can win in your mind there is never going to be an end because facts have no meaning to you

Again, you lack reading comprehension. That’s not my problem.

GRRM flat out says it’s all ambiguous. I’m sorry you have trouble understanding that and that you can’t discern between how you talk in absolutes and I have not.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007

They don't. I can find you a guy who claims Jesus Christ spoke to him last week and got him a job, doesn't make it true.

Thoros is a believer, so obviously he's going to say his god is the power behind his magic, but it's all just magic imo. There are different types of magic, not multiple gods. You've got the Others with their ice magic, CotF with their tree/forest magic, Valyrians with their fire magic, Faceless Men with their..whatever the hell it is magic, etc.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
They don't. I can find you a guy who claims Jesus Christ spoke to him last week and got him a job, doesn't make it true.

Thoros is a believer, so obviously he's going to say his god is the power behind his magic, but it's all just magic imo. There are different types of magic, not multiple gods. You've got the Others with their ice magic, CotF with their tree/forest magic, Valyrians with their fire magic, Faceless Men with their..whatever the hell it is magic, etc.

Cool

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

Well, to be fair to LOL, the only people capable of resurrection are those who ask the LOL for help.

You don't hear people saying, "Oh great magic, please heal thy person."

So bare minimum, healing magic wants to be called the Lord of Light. It appears to ignore you unless you label it as such. That would give it some type of intelligence, no?

Reactions: Mr Fahrenheit

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Well, to be fair to LOL, the only people capable of resurrection are those who ask the LOL for help.

You don't hear people saying, "Oh great magic, please heal thy person."

So bare minimum, healing magic wants to be called the Lord of Light. It appears to ignore you unless you label it as such. That would give it some type of intelligence, no?

Hence that it is the Lord of Light that does the resurrecting, not the people themselves

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Hence that it is the Lord of Light that does the resurrecting, not the people themselves

I'm glad you changed your mind from your initial post. That you now admit that the LOL gives/grants them the powers, unless you think the LOL is busy and can't keep track of his two Priests. Thus, they have to get his attention.

"Hey. Lord of Light, need some help here. Are you around? Are you done brunch yet? Can you resurrect this dude or whatever other magic needs to be done at the moment?"

It seems much more believable that he gave them these powers and if they needed them they could use them. That they have an inherent magical ability to channel these energies. Takes a lot out of Priests to resurrect someone.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I'm glad you changed your mind from your initial post. That you now admit that the LOL gives/grants them the powers, unless you think the LOL is busy and can't keep track of his two Priests. Thus, they have to get his attention.

"Hey. Lord of Light, need some help here. Are you around? Are you done brunch yet? Can you resurrect this dude or whatever other magic needs to be done at the moment?"

It seems much more believable that he gave them these powers and if they needed them they could use them. That they have an inherent magical ability to channel these energies. Takes a lot out of Priests to resurrect someone.

Yeah the great power of whispering into someones ear for help

Makes a lot of sense

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah the great power of whispering into someones ear for help

Makes a lot of sense

Exactly. Priests aren't necessary, and pretty much useless. Just written in to the story for banter.

That interpretation sounds ridiculous. Makes me wonder why you chose it.

Say Hey Kid

it's better to burn out than to fade awa
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I read LOTR and other fantasy before the first SW movie. I'm a huge fan of the show, watching it for the second time, and think it's all great (movie level budgets and production values for one aspect) except for Martin's plot. Martin was never considered a great writer before this show and he isn't a great writer.

In this patriarchal society as soon as the Queen told Ned about her children, he as the King's hand would have been honor bound and required to strike her and her children down on the spot. It's not just incest, it's treason of the highest order.

This is meant to be balanced post from a big fan so I hope it can be allowed to stand.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I read LOTR and other fantasy before the first SW movie. I'm a huge fan of the show, watching it for the second time, and think it's all great (movie level budgets and production values for one aspect) except for Martin's plot. Martin was never considered a great writer before this show and he isn't a great writer.

In this patriarchal society as soon as the Queen told Ned about her children, he as the King's hand would have been honor bound and required to strike her and her children down on the spot. It's not just incest, it's treason of the highest order.

This is meant to be balanced post from a big fan so I hope it can be allowed to stand.
Can you give examples in history, since that is what you are referencing here with "honor bound", of a Queen being killed on the spot? If it happened I'm interested. However, even Henry VIII had all of his wives formally executed, one of whom he believed to have been adulterous and incestuous.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
ghEpyT0.jpg

Reactions: Make
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->