TV: Game of Thrones | Season 7 | Part VII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
There are more, but I did this fairly quickly and can't remember everything at the moment. Before you say it, yes sometimes they showed them traveling, but it always served a separate narrative purpose. What was important with the travel scenes was not that they were traveling, but what was happening on the journey. When it hasn't served the plot to show a travel scene, they haven't shown one. The big difference between season 6 and previous seasons is that there were many (sometimes 4 or 5) independent story lines happening at the same time, so they could stretch the cuts out over multiple scenes or episodes to hide it better. The actual depiction of physical travel times and the passage of time hasn't changed though, you just notice it more now because the story is narrower. Just because the presentation isn't ideal, doesn't mean it is physically inaccurate though. Just because something isn't shown or said, doesn't mean it didn't happen in a logical and plausible way, and it doesn't do you or anyone any good to jump the conclusion that it must be wrong every time.

The recurring theme in all of these examples is they almost always show travelling (except Littlefinger but he often goes places on his own which makes it quicker, like how Cat caught up to Robert's party and arrived in KL shortly after them because it's just her and Rodrik on their own) and the other thing is there's always lots of stuff happening in other story arcs in between scenes. The problem in the more recent episodes is you've got certain characters doing masses of travelling without actually showing it (it's just "ta-da! here I am!" every time) while the others are seemingly just twiddling their thumbs, in the earlier seasons lots of stuff was going on alongside, so it gives more indication of passage of time.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
My issue with the jumps is this season is they feel more integral to the plot. In the past when Littlefinger jumped from KL to the Vale, it didn't really matter to the story how quickly he arrived. His dialogue or whatever would have just been pushed back or never happen if we were being realistic.

This season, the jumps are for armies, whose timing on the arrival is being used as an explanation to their success. That or in the case of the dragons, they are rescuing a group where the timing is again being used to elevate tension.

The frustrating part of all of this, if we just spent 10 minutes giving background on Euron, saying he has wizards on board, I'd probably be OK with his ships. If we spent 10 minutes explaining how the Lannisters/Tarley's immediately sieged down Highgarden I'd be happier with that. Instead we get Mel - Grey worm stuff or Sam emptying chamber pots.

This. They never bothered explaining strategy of taking Highgarden, no indication of how many men were defending. They also never bothered explaining how Dany and the Dothraki located Jaime's army and were able to get there to intercept them. They never explained how Euron was able to ambush Yara's fleet. I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation but the annoying part is they just don't tell you. Another one that bothered me from a while ago was they never explained how the Sand Snakes got from Dorne to King's Landing and onto Trystane's boat, but fans didn't like Dorne so they probably saw fit to spend as little time on that as possible.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The recurring theme in all of these examples is they almost always show travelling (except Littlefinger but he often goes places on his own which makes it quicker, like how Cat caught up to Robert's party and arrived in KL shortly after them because it's just her and Rodrik on their own) and the other thing is there's always lots of stuff happening in other story arcs in between scenes. The problem in the more recent episodes is you've got certain characters doing masses of travelling without actually showing it (it's just "ta-da! here I am!" every time) while the others are seemingly just twiddling their thumbs, in the earlier seasons lots of stuff was going on alongside, so it gives more indication of passage of time.

I don't see the issue. They only had 13 episodes to cover a lot of stuff, would you really want to see them actually travel back and forth between KL, Dragonstone, Winterfell and the Wall?

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Where did the WW get those giant chains? Did they carry them with them just in case they found a big baddie they wanted to convert? Lucky them!

Anyways, super stoked to see big ass WW dragon melt the wall... if it breathes fire and not ice anyways.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's weird to me that there's so much focus on the exact speed and distance a dragon can fly, or how likely it is for the wights to find chains.

I'm much more worried about all the cliched bad writing techniques that were used.

Going on a dangerous adventure? Might as well bring 5 extra guys, give them 0 lines, and never mention their existence, just so they can die dramatically while leaving our fateful heroes intact.

Then all the times where they were sure to die, but didn't.
-5 guys surrounded by 5000? Have them find a 10X10 rock and have the ice break right after that.
-Ice freezes back over? Have those 5 guys Bruce Lee the 5000 for way too long, and then have a dragon show up in the nick of time!
-Our hero is badly wounded and completely outnumbered? Have his uncle show up out of nowhere in the nick of time!

It's also fun how people bring up "suspension of disbelief" to cover up bad writing. That's not how it works

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Where did the WW get those giant chains? Did they carry them with them just in case they found a big baddie they wanted to convert? Lucky them!

Anyways, super stoked to see big ass WW dragon melt the wall... if it breathes fire and not ice anyways.

I'm guessing they used some sort of magic and made them out of the ice? :dunno:

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
I don't see the issue. They only had 13 episodes to cover a lot of stuff, would you really want to see them actually travel back and forth between KL, Dragonstone, Winterfell and the Wall?

Nobody twisted their arm to "only" have 13 episodes left. That was their choice. If they want to half-*** it down the stretch that's too bad, people are going to complain.

Arguably this series will be the highlight of these writers and most of these actors careers. The fact they want to "move on" (despite announcing spin-offs) to other projects is laughable, but ok. But don't water down/give us crap to finish this show without expecting people to be critical.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They could have had 20 episodes! "Not enough material" my arse!

I agree that they should've taken their time to wrap up the story at a slower pace, but for whatever reason it is (budget, other constraints), they decided to finish in 13 episodes instead of 20. The travel scenes are mostly filler, so that's what they decided to cut.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
This is just the plot saying no. You bring arrows and someone who can shoot and you can end the show in that episode.

Considering they had a extremely long voyage sailing back to Eastwatch they could have started to make stuff with the dragonglass. It's especially awkward when you consider they had a expert weapons maker with them.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

The WWs are thousands of years old, I think they've had some time to get some giant chains:laugh:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

To be fair, most 'travel' scenes don't actually depict travel though, they are intermediate scenes between the departure and arrival points. So what you get is instead of a character jumping from point A to point C, they jump from point A to point B then to point C with some dialogue/action at point B.

This is exactly what I'm saying though, and if this is how the discussion is framed I have no problem with having it. The actual physical in universe travel time and passage of time is the same as it has always been, but because of the more narrow and intertwined story the cuts are more jarring than they used to be. If we want to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of each approach and which is better, let's have that discussion. What is utterly ridiculous and without merit are the comments every week about 'teleporting' or 'how did they make that trip in one day?' as if people zipping across the map in an indeterminate amount of time is anything new.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Considering they had a extremely long voyage sailing back to Eastwatch they could have started to make stuff with the dragonglass. It's especially awkward when you consider they had a expert weapons maker with them.

They did make stuff with dragonglass, all of them but Jon and Beric had dragonglass weapons.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What happened to this archer from the Brotherhood?

Give that guy some dragon glass arrowheads and he could've taken out the Night King north of the wall

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
They did make stuff with dragonglass, all of them but Jon and Beric had dragonglass weapons.

Well the post I quoted was talking about arrows.

Probably the easiest thing to make, especially on a ship considering you wouldn't need a forge or anything to make them.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

I'm not sure being a blacksmith qualifies Gendry to work with dragon glass

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Nobody twisted their arm to "only" have 13 episodes left. That was their choice. If they want to half-*** it down the stretch that's too bad, people are going to complain.

Arguably this series will be the highlight of these writers and most of these actors careers. The fact they want to "move on" (despite announcing spin-offs) to other projects is laughable, but ok. But don't water down/give us crap to finish this show without expecting people to be critical.

Well I am sure their friends Money and Time were what was twisting their arm. Who knows, maybe some of these actors are ready to move on from GoT. Its amazing that real people can get sick of being an entertainer and don't want to be seen as a one-trick pony. But I digress... there were probably multiple factors in this.

The time travel stuff doesn't bother me as much either. Yeah its kind of wonky and to me it's not about watching them travel or anything, it's just putting the actual good content in the episodes. I dunno. It's bothersome but not enough to make me upset about it.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't know, it's kinda like expecting a baker to know how to make authentic Mongolian dishes

You don't forge dragonglass though, he would just need to shape it. Even if he's never done it he should have the required skills to shape and sharpen dragonglass.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's weird to me that there's so much focus on the exact speed and distance a dragon can fly, or how likely it is for the wights to find chains.

I'm much more worried about all the cliched bad writing techniques that were used.

Going on a dangerous adventure? Might as well bring 5 extra guys, give them 0 lines, and never mention their existence, just so they can die dramatically while leaving our fateful heroes intact.

Then all the times where they were sure to die, but didn't.
-5 guys surrounded by 5000? Have them find a 10X10 rock and have the ice break right after that.
-Ice freezes back over? Have those 5 guys Bruce Lee the 5000 for way too long, and then have a dragon show up in the nick of time!
-Our hero is badly wounded and completely outnumbered? Have his uncle show up out of nowhere in the nick of time!

It's also fun how people bring up "suspension of disbelief" to cover up bad writing. That's not how it works
More bad writing: all that trite dialogue at the start as they are endlessly trudging through the snow. Terrible writing that induces yawns, not anything else.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
More bad writing: all that trite dialogue at the start as they are endlessly trudging through the snow. Terrible writing that induces yawns, not anything else.

The sparring between the Hound and Tormond in regards to Brienne was a hilariously dialogue. If you have a sense of humor that is....... :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->