TV: Game of Thrones | Season 7 | Part VII -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
When Thoros and Baric ignited their swords, I freaked out and laughed at the same time. That was some old school,turn based squad game stuff.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Man the shot of Jon angrily staring down the Night King with Drogon screaming in the background.

At the very least this episode was excellent eye candy.

I was hoping he'd jump on Rhaegal and fly out of there. Speaking of which, do we know which dragon went down?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It's an imperfect episode for a small number of reasons

1.) Rocket powered raven (even if its top speed is 60 mph, how do you motivate a Raven to fly that fast for that far...though in all honesty the idea that you can send a raven somewhere and it will know exactly where to go is a bit silly to begin with if you think about it. When carrier pigeons were used IIRC, the messages were sent in large numbers and were encrypted)

2.) Arya/Sansa bs. I haven't been as hard on Sansa as others, and I still feel she was more in the right here, but this was such a massive waste of time. And I know it's supposed to lead into some kind of big event at Winterfell but like season 5's plotlines, it's been a sloppy road to whatever it is.

3.) Jon being a plot device for the death of Benjen. Even in the visual execution of events you just get the sense that he didn't stay behind for any reason but for a plot purpose.

Still I thought the episode was a lot of fun. Better than the dragging and wasted storylines of season 5. I feel that was the true weakpoint of the series. Season 6 was better but not best. This season has been good yet rushed. This was the most disappointing episode to me but also the most fun. I can forgive the weak writing for the spectacle I got. Despite its deficiencies, it's an episode I can go back to for entertainment.

Agree with everything but one:

Ravens in GOT aren't carrier pigeons. They can repeat some words like parrots (at least in the ASOIAF world) and are trained to fly from one place to another (exclusively).

As for the awful Sansa-Arya plotline. As cringe worthy as those scenes are, I think Arya's playing everyone.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Agreed which this whole season has been emphasizing. I just don't get why she would now be inclined to believe a letter 2 days later.

The letter doesn't make her believe the full threat, seeing it does. What the letter did was send her into a panic about losing Jon who was in trouble.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
While this season has been good, this whole storyline with getting the wight and bringing it to Kings Landing has been a bit ridiculous and forced. There had to be better writing than this and they have shown it in the first half of this season.

Seriously, how did a raven get from Eastwatch to Dany in enough time for her to get it and get there just in time to save everyone?

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Man the shot of Jon angrily staring down the Night King with Drogon screaming in the background.

The best part of the episode is the way the Night King nonchalantly grabs the ice spear from the other walker.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
So I have to say I actually thought the scene with Daenerys and Jon at the end was fantastic. Daenerys pledged herself to help Jon fight the army of the dead without conditions, and Jon swore fealty to her. Daenerys' reaction to Jon calling her "my queen" was perhaps the most humble and vulnerable we have ever seen her, and her response of "I hope I deserve it" was great. Here is probably the most honorable and selfless person she has ever met, and he is telling her that he trusts and will follow her. She's not sure she even deserves that level of trust from someone like Jon, who she clearly thinks is better than her, but she's incredibly touched by it. Add to that the fact that both of them clearly love the other and the subtle hints towards a marriage alliance, and it was a great scene.

Yeah that really was a fantastic scene. Man this episode is such a blend of good and meh.

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Not that I love all the Arya/Sansa plot, because it's been the weakest part of the season, but she's clearly testing Sansa's loyalty by playing the game of faces with her to learn the real truth.

She's a revenge bot and has been for some time.

Either she's testing her, or not telling her she's playing LF. Nothing else makes any logical sense given what they've told us about Arya.

I'm not just giving her the benefit of the doubt. The show told us she can fight like Brienne. The show told us she has enough senses to fight blind (and know when someone is stalking her). The show told us she can tell truth from lies. She's 100% completed her training and all the abilities that gives her.

She's not a revenge bot. She went North once she knew Jon was King. Her reunion with Sansa, especially that 2nd hug, was all about becoming Arya again.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hard to play the game of faces when the other person refuses to play.

Not to mention her entire demeanor comes off as if she thinks Sansa is guilty from the start. She is just terrible at figuring out the truth if she is really looking to determine Sansa's loyalty.

She is playing the game of faces though, but instead of hitting her physically she is jabbing her verbally after every answer with either an insult or a harsh accusation.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Seriously, how did a raven get from Eastwatch to Dany in enough time for her to get it and get there just in time to save everyone?

7lzGCddYuIN0zd4e4Pr7ch9kwkl-fDMrPYS8t7GsQBY.jpg

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec

I have no idea how Jon will manage to defeat the Night King in a one-on-one battle but I can't imagine anyone else being able to do it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I did like the way they developed Jon and Dany's relationship in such a short time.

I have no idea how Jon will manage to defeat the Night King in a one-on-one battle but I can't imagine anyone else being able to.

I wanna say Drogon but the way the Night King moved those dragon Flames I really doubt it.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
If the nk had this plan to trap them and slay a dragon why not move faster and kill all the dragons I mean you know they're coming. Gendry run and send a raven we will sit on this rock. Jon falls in ice water he gets out is about to get mobed oh wait here comes benjin. Jumps off his horse and gives it to Jon who doesn't die of hypothermia. Other than the hound and thormunds banter this is some grade 2 story writing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
But they walked all night, so I think it would be way more than a 2 hour run

Then consider it's at altitude and the conditions are harsh, and I'm just not sure it's all that realistic

They didn't walk all night though. There was never a night time scene during the adventure part of that episode.

Unless you think it was night time when they bear attacked. But I dont think it was I think that was more that the weather had turned to **** because they were right next to a Whit bear and were also getting closer to the Army.

I think they were about 10-15 Kms away from the wall which could be done in 2-3 hours of running.

I mean I dont care that people are taking up issue with the teleportation this season. It has no effect on the story for me personally and I get the argument from Eurons joy ride back in Episode 2/3 from KL to CR.

But this one with the Raven isn't one for people to truly get up in arms about IMO. It's at most a matter of 5-6 hours off in terms of time.

I think people just dont understand how fast ravens can actually fly, and how far of a distance they can travel without stopping/resting and that's why they think it should have taken days for this all to have happened instead of the ~1 day that it did take.

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
So I have to say I actually thought the scene with Daenerys and Jon at the end was fantastic. Daenerys pledged herself to help Jon fight the army of the dead without conditions, and Jon swore fealty to her. Daenerys' reaction to Jon calling her "my queen" was perhaps the most humble and vulnerable we have ever seen her, and her response of "I hope I deserve it" was great. Here is probably the most honorable and selfless person she has ever met, and he is telling her that he trusts and will follow her. She's not sure she even deserves that level of trust from someone like Jon, who she clearly thinks is better than her, but she's incredibly touched by it. Add to that the fact that both of them clearly love the other and the subtle hints towards a marriage alliance, and it was a great scene.

Agreed. I run hot and cold on Clarke scenes, but she was excellent in this episode.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Agreed. I run hot and cold on Clarke scenes, but she was excellent in this episode.

She's been really strong all season I think, especially her facial expressions. She's at her weakest when she gets loud and upset (where are my dragons!)

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
She is playing the game of faces though, but instead of hitting her physically she is jabbing her verbally after every answer with either an insult or a harsh accusation.

If it was just the game of faces then I could get on board, possibly. But she is also providing threats to her sister without getting any answers.

Talking about killing her and taking her face, then not even using it as a tactic to potentially get the truth out of her. That's just insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->