TV: Game of Thrones | Season 7 | Part VI -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS #654

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No.

When i go ice fishing holes I drill in the morning are often frozen by the afternoon. And that isnt at particularly cold.

The implication I got from the show is that they spent one night (waking up, finding Thoros frozen).

A small hole you drill for ice fishing is not the same as a large ice sheet freezing enough to support thousands of men. :facepalm:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The only gripe about that is why the wights needed to the rock (the hound threw) to see that the lake was frozen. Wouldnt the Night King and other walkers know if the lake is frozen or not?

Yeah why not send the bony one through as a test.... lol. The Hound kinda throws like a girl too....

I also thought the Hound should keep breaking the ice with the hammer all around them.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I cant find it now, but there was a post over on Reddit(The Wildlings Reddit page) a few days ago that did the math on it all and proved that the Raven and dragons all could have done what they did in the time frame they supposedly did it in(20 hours for the Raven to get from Eastwatch to Dragonstone, and ~4-5 hours for the Dragons to get from Dragonstone to just North of Eastwatch).

You have to factor in Gendry's time spent running

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Me thinks people dont understand how fast Ravens can fly.

They can fly upwards of 60 MPH. Dragonstone is roughly 1000 miles North of Eastwatch.

That message can be sent from East watch to Dragonstone in less than 24 hours. And the Dragons are going to fly significantly faster given the size of them.

This hardly the worst example of time warping from the show. This isn't even unreasonable.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Won't complain about teleportation,

proceeds to make a complaint about teleportation the very next line. :laugh:

Though I'll say this, I've defended time jumps since the arguments have arisen but I can't defend the speed of that raven. It's just impossible. Gendry I can maybe understand, maybe they didn't get that far. Dany I can understand how fast she got there cause dragons. I cannot fathom how a small bird flew over the country in one night. That's the one time I absolutely cannot excuse it. Other times you know, I can infer that time has passed when characters jump from one spot to the next. The timeline just doesn't make sense here. Oh well.

I kinda gotta agree. Based on what is established, but I'm just gonna take it for what it is. You're absolutely right. As a whole that's the flaw.. And it's virtually inexcusable.

Yet I still ate it up and enjoyed it.

So I dunno what to think.

I haven't been this invested since BotB

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Yeah it's a bit off to me.

She has been good this season and seems to have an outfit for every occasion. :)

Dany cannot have children and see stated it several times in this episode. It's almost like a Luke, Leigha thing where they will find out before anything happens.

i wonder how she knows she can't.
like did that witch do something?

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
That's pretty selfish given the fan base this show has generated

They're supposedly starting a new fictional TV series about the African slave trade /Civil War. However there is some good news on the horizon. HBO had greenlit 4...I repeat 4 different GOT prequel spinoff series that will be written by GRRM and the other head writers. Production will start right after the final season has concluded. :)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So the alternative is that they're standing there in extreme cold, without fire or food, for how long?

I got one night. Gendry arrives at Eastwatch in the evening (its noticeably darker) and then it shows them waking up.

Even if it was two nights, its still not long enough for a Raven to make that flight and Dany back.

Wait, where was it said that it was "extreme cold"? We don't know if it was a few degrees below freezing or twenty.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Fair enough :laugh:

In any case, this is the first time I'll say a "big" GoT episode left me somewhat disappointed. There were definitely some writing fails. But it was fun. The spectacle of it all was very impressive. I'm willing to give this one a pass if the rest can finish strong (who am I kidding, even when it's dumb this show is still a ton of fun)

Despite my gripes about the passage of time, I agree with everything youve said here.

The episode of the season was 4, and it wasnt even close (to this point).

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Did they travel all that way while someone sat atround and drank a beer in another scene?

Gendry runs X miles back to the wall. Then a Raven flies, what, 1000 miles south to Dragonstone? Then Dany flies back on a dragon? In ONE night.

Come on. I love this show, but its getting really ridiculous.

You're turning a molehill into a mountain, my man.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Sansa/Arya stuff is kind of annoying. They've both spent 6+ seasons of dealing with ****, yet they're both being played like a fiddle by Littlefinger. It makes them both look kind of stupid.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
The extra time really allowed for a classic Thrones episode with some dialogue filling in some blanks.

• Jon and Jorah talk about the Lord Commander and Jon offers the sword back.
  • Gendry gets a "WTF, guys?" moment with the Brotherhood.
  • An entertaining scene with Tormund and The Hound
  • A small quibble, but if you're going to have those scenes, maybe Gendry, or even The Hound, can drop an Arya reference to Jon
  • I had accidentally spoiled myself about the Ice Dragon stuff. Unfortunate, but certainly didn't ruin the episode for me
  • I actually kind of like that the death count for our team of heroes was so short. I was expecting more, and this allows them to save some deaths for the finale and beyond. Also, given the point of the episode was to cement the Jon/Dany and holy **** ice dragon stuff, better to not kill off a beloved character and have it get buried amidst a bunch of other storylines.
  • I remain of the view Arya is playing LF. She *literally* played the game of knowing truth from lies - and told her as much - with Sansa. It's ludicrous to think she wouldn't believe Sansa when she told her she wrote the letter, under duress, to save Ned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad