"Game Management"

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
The ref may have considered the first as a dive or embellishment, followed by obvious retaliation on the second. Just sayin'...this may or may not have been game management.
When only a fraction of infractions are called, it makes it harder to tell.

Video quality sucks on that twitter video. Anyways Reinhart was swinging at the puck hence his body twisting as he got hit and even if they considered it a dive or embellishment then that would still beg the question on why wasn't that called then?

Quite frankly if Reinhart doesn't swing at the puck hes going face first into the boards. Reinhart retaliates and gives Doughty a check into the arse which sends him face first towards the boards. We've all seen the no calls when our team is on the PP and they swallow their whistles. I'd bet that most 5 on 3's are from delay of game penalties, something they're forced to call.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The first hit he gets pushed over and falls to the the ice hitting his back against the boards,it also looks divish the second hit he skates across the ice in an attempt to hurt someone then hits him from behind causing him to go face first into the boards.
They are not the same
Doughty trips him using his foot its not the hit above that's a penalty the poor quality video doesn't help.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
This is why diving can work to your advantage unfortunately. Excuse for a makeup call.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
It suggests a smart move would be to build an aggressive physical team with very good special teams.

You get to take liberties with other teams, and regardless of how physical they are, the PP opportunities will generally be pretty equal.

You see it individually too. If teams were called on penalties they do against McDavid, they'd spend the whole game in the box.
Sounds like Boston has been in on the secret for some time then.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
xaz46wdj9p541.png

I put this chart together using penalty data from nhl.com from the last 10 years to take a look at "game management" in the NHL. It's obviously a very basic analysis for a complicated (alleged) issue, but the correlation is also incredibly high.

If reffing were purely objective, you'd expect there to be a weak relationship between penalties drawn and penalties taken. There could still be some correlation, because if one team is being aggressive and dirty, it can tend to bring out that same behaviour in the other team. Regardless, over a full regular season, you'd expect that a "dirty team" would be penalized far more than their opponents, and a "clean team" to be penalized far less than their opponents.

Above is date from 2010-present, 10 seasons (with the asterix of 2013 being lockout shortened, and this season being only partially completed). There is a VERY strong correlation, R2 value of 0.912 for those of you that know basic statistics. To me this absolutely screams that refs are interfering in games on a very very regular basis. Rather than calling games objectively, they constantly do "make up calls", and try not to "interfere" in the game too much.

I.e., if one team is dirty and gaining a lot of penalties, they'll make a bunch of softer calls on the other team to "even things up" (this represents the higher end of the distribution where teams with a ton of penalties for also have a ton of penalties against). On the flip side, cleaner teams, because they commit very few penalties, will have very few penalties called on their opponents regardless of how the opponent is playing, allowing their opponents to get away with what should be penalties (see low end of the distribution).

This creates a situation where refs aren't calling penalties objectively on both teams, but are instead constantly shifting the goalposts, and creating different standards for different teams.

You cannot use R-squared to determine whether the coefficient and predictions are biased, which is why you must assess the residual plots.
R-squared does not indicate if a regression model provides an adequate fit to your data. A good model can have a low R2 value. On the other hand, a biased model can have a high R2 value!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Video quality sucks on that twitter video. Anyways Reinhart was swinging at the puck hence his body twisting as he got hit and even if they considered it a dive or embellishment then that would still beg the question on why wasn't that called then?

Quite frankly if Reinhart doesn't swing at the puck hes going face first into the boards. Reinhart retaliates and gives Doughty a check into the arse which sends him face first towards the boards. We've all seen the no calls when our team is on the PP and they swallow their whistles. I'd bet that most 5 on 3's are from delay of game penalties, something they're forced to call.
I'm pretty sure diving/embellishment suspect by the refs negates far more calls than it produces diving calls, including coincidental ones where the original infraction is called as well.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I saw some game management tonight. A different kind, but I still consider it game management in that the ref is trying to keep the game "fair" and close.

Leafs up early, PP goal, dominating Tampa. Morgan Rielly jumps over Andersen to avoid him, knocking net off - Delay of game.

Later in the game, Leafs are up, and Killorn does this:

No call.

Jumping over the goalie (while winning) - PENALTY
Jumping ON TOP of the goalie (while losing) - ALL GOOD!

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
It's possible to replicate this graph by having zero correlation within any given year, but then change the strictness of officiating from year to year.

TurboLemon

Mar 11, 2013
It would be nice to see this chart for each season since 2010. Seeing as how many rosters have high turnover, I'm wondering how it affects cup standings year over year.

Can some teams plow through game management like I suspect Chicago and Pittsburgh?

How advantaged by it were Boston, LA, Columbus, Washington the years they won or went to the finals?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I hate the game management thing, but I don't blame the refs, I blame the league as the refs are told to call it like this! If they made calls based on actual penalties, all the good fast teams would have a lot more power-plays and the slower and worse teams would have a lot less.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad