GDT: GAME LXVII: Avs @ Canucks: 10PM (MT)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Z was okay in the Calgary series, and brutal in the San Jose series.

Today is today, not last year, but you are severely understating Zadorov's contribution in that Flames series.

He completely neutered Tkachuk, and played a big part in shutting down Gaudreau and Monahan.

That series is completely different if just one or two of those guys produced like they normally would. Avs wouldn't have been guaranteed to win at all.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I love me some Z. I don't see what he would learn from a full game benching that he didn't learn from the part-game benching he got last game - but I guess Beds has his reasons and rationale. I still think it is super weird that other players can have absolute stinker games, and shit runs, but apart from Z and Kamenev no one else rides the pine. I also think Z is under way too harsh a microscope from most here. Its almost as bad as him getting penalties for being big. He gets shit on because he is Z. I don't disagree he didn't have his best game against the Ducks but the outrage aimed his way was way overboard, in my opinion. He was gone for over 30 minutes of play (half of period 2, all of period 3, and OT) and yet somehow he's still responsible for a loss.

Reactions: sethro109

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
A 21 year old 5'8" Girard is the only defenseman I trust in this current lineup.
You say 5’8” like he isn’t the only Avs defencemen to have supplementary discipline and a fight this year. :sarcasm:

No surprise on Z. Long overdue. Would have been nice if it started 7 games ago because Petry came into the lineup.

Reactions: Avs_19

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Z scratched, eh? Probably for the best. He's been making some boneheaded plays of late. Hope this gets him on track.

Of course, it also further depletes a roster that is half call-ups as it is, but if it helps in the long-run, so be it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You say 5’8” like he isn’t the only Avs defencemen to have supplementary discipline and a fight this year. :sarcasm:

I was thinking about this the other day when the Ducks were taking run after run at the Avs, where's the 'take a five minute major for a borderline hit' Ian Cole? Not that I want him to put the Avs at a disadvantage or hurt anyone but nothing? No big questionable hits? No sticking out the knee? No repeated cross checks to a player who gets near his goalie?

All of the focus is on Zadorov's lack of aggression and physical play and rightfully so but I hope Cole can discover some of that before the playoffs as well. You can get away with a lot more so there will be less chance of penalties too.

Reactions: Avs71

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This just feels like it's gonna be a big fat L tonight. Like a 7-2 type loss.
Yup, I feel the same. Hungry Nucks team at home desperate for points who are on a losing streak vs half AHL Avs team. Doesnt add up to W for the Avs.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Hope you forgive a Nuck fan posting here...

Love your team and the way they play. Too bad about the injuries to your team, but it seems you keep winning despite, sign of a contender imo.

Would have loved to see Makar tonight, it would have been great to see him and Hughes do their thing. Alas, we'll have to wait until next time.

Mini scouting report on our team: Demko while promising, lets in a poor goal almost every game, sometimes twice a game. Big drop-off from Markstrom. Horvat is playing with some sort of a groin injury and is laboring. Hughes is playing hurt and not practicing very much, as he's been hit into the boards a couple games ago. He's been targeted with crosschecks and hits last 6 or 7 games and you can tell he is not the same player. Normally shouldn't be playing, but we are in a fight for our playoff lives. EP still figuring it out, some nights he is a superstar, other nights completely neutralized. Our defensive structure is horrendous, and their is lots of panic back there. Myers injured, and he's actually been really solid for us both ways last half of the season. We can hemmed in our zone consistently and giving up 40 plus shots is almost a norm. Makes for exciting hockey though.

Can't wait to watch Big Mack though, my favorite non-Canuck to watch in the league!

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I’m a huge Z fanboy, but if he’s playing like shit then sitting him for a game is fine. But if Bednar does it multiple games it will be a problem

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I love me some Z. I don't see what he would learn from a full game benching that he didn't learn from the part-game benching he got last game - but I guess Beds has his reasons and rationale. I still think it is super weird that other players can have absolute stinker games, and shit runs, but apart from Z and Kamenev no one else rides the pine. I also think Z is under way too harsh a microscope from most here. Its almost as bad as him getting penalties for being big. He gets shit on because he is Z. I don't disagree he didn't have his best game against the Ducks but the outrage aimed his way was way overboard, in my opinion. He was gone for over 30 minutes of play (half of period 2, all of period 3, and OT) and yet somehow he's still responsible for a loss.
No one has blamed him solely for the loss? His pairing was downright horrific and was a big contribution to us losing though. I also don't know if this is necessarily a teaching benching for Z either, I think this is just sitting a player because he has been really bad for a long time. He does seem to come back well from benchings though so maybe this is Bednars way to hopefully get Z to take his head out of his ass and play better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad