GDT: Game LIX: Avalanche vs Holden Knights | 7 PM MT | February 18, 2019

Moosehead44

Feb 11, 2019
So many games Graves should've been in for Nemeth, Cole,or Barbs...
Are you serious. Cole averages over 20 minutes while Nemeth is close to 17 per game. Graves has played 15 games and averaged 11.5 minutes per game. Barbs has been injured all year and has only played 12 games so I doubt he is the reason for the losses this year.

TheDangerBowen

Highway to
Jul 4, 2011
CO
I think when guys get called up and score is probably one of my favorite things to see in the NHL.

Of course it doesnt top the draft though since the Avs have made me love draft day.

Reactions: MacBradley

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That’s just who he is. A really bad hockey player.
That's not 100% fair, he is just a floater with bad defensive awareness. His offensive skills are fine and he is a good passer. He'd be perfectly fine as a 2nd line winger on a deep team, where he could solely focus on his offense and have the other guys cover up his deficiencies. Unfortunately on our team he is relied upon to be a big contributor on the 2nd line which he is not.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That's not 100% fair, he is just a floater with bad defensive awareness. His offensive skills are fine and he is a good passer. He'd be perfectly fine as a 2nd line winger on a deep team, where he could solely focus on his offense and have the other guys cover up his deficiencies. Unfortunately on our team he is relied upon to be a big contributor on the 2nd line which he is not.

He isn't good enough to be a top 6 player on a good team. He's too easy to defend. He's a good skater and good passer but that's about all he brings to the table.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He isn't good enough to be a top 6 player on a good team. He's too easy to defend. He's a good skater and good passer but that's about all he brings to the table.
Disagree to an extent, he is easy to defend but if he was on line where he was the third wheel he'd be fine because the other guys would draw the attention which would open up more room for him to utilize those skills you mentioned. He'd be fine in that role and could probably give you 50 pts doing that role.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Disagree to an extent, he is easy to defend but if he was on line where he was the third wheel he'd be fine because the other guys would draw the attention which would open up more room for him to utilize those skills you mentioned. He'd be fine in that role and could probably give you 50 pts doing that role.

I see a Spooner/Parenteau type player in Kerfoot. Fine in a top 6 role on a bad team. But if you have ambitions of being competitive they won't cut it.

Reactions: Avs44 and chet1926

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I might be a Debbie Downer, but I really am not all that sure Varlamov has bounced back, or that he has anything above an average game, regardless of the shutout. I mean he has some really nice saves, but had vegas players been a bit more concentrated they could've potted 3-4 goals on rebounds alone.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I might be a Debbie Downer, but I really am not all that sure Varlamov has bounced back, or that he has anything above an average game, regardless of the shutout. I mean he has some really nice saves, but had vegas players been a bit more concentrated they could've potted 3-4 goals on rebounds alone.
He’s had a lot of good games recently though. Dating back to the Islanders game he has looked like 2013/14 Varlamov for 5 of his last 6 games with the outlier being the Toronto game where it was a courtesy pull more than anything since the goals weren’t his fault.

Reactions: klozge and Avs

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, he had a few bad rebounds last night no doubt, but the biggest thing was that he battled to make the 2nd saves. Something he wasn't able to do until recently.

I mean he's never been the best at rebound control, but his athleticism used to give him a good chance to make the 2nd and 3rd saves when called upon.

I really think he might have been playing injured for a while.

Reactions: sethro109

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
He’s had a lot of good games recently though. Dating back to the Islanders game he has looked like 2013/14 Varlamov for 5 of his last 6 games with the outlier being the Toronto game where it was a courtesy pull more than anything since the goals weren’t his fault.

And that Toronto game scared the crap out of me. Just when Varly was starting to turn his game around, that game happened and I was afraid it was going to set him back again.

But he rebounded from that game better than anyone could have asked him to.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Fair enough.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To be fair, I’m not convinced this is the Varly we’re going to continue to see either.

I’m just saying last night wasn’t the only sign of positivity.

I honestly have no idea what to think about all of this. We have no idea how long will this last and we have no idea about the future of the team between the pipes. The only thing getting more evident with each passing day is that they have no faith in Grubauer, that trade could be worse than the Berra one.

PS

Honestly, I'd trade him for an upcoming UFA goalie like Howard or Miller.

Reactions: 21

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, he had a few bad rebounds last night no doubt, but the biggest thing was that he battled to make the 2nd saves. Something he wasn't able to do until recently.

I mean he's never been the best at rebound control, but his athleticism used to give him a good chance to make the 2nd and 3rd saves when called upon.

I really think he might have been playing injured for a while.

I've been referencing comments from other goalies about the surgery for a while now. Luongo specifically mentioned playing through pain for the first year afterwards. Rinne, Lou, Thomas, all recovered fully after.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I know what you mean but based on the goaltending we been getting since December I think im gonna give him a pass haha. I think if the Knights had any touch around the net tonight they get 2-3 goals. We got lucky on a few of their missed chances but hey thats hockey and we havent been getting those kinda breaks for a long time.
Oh no doubt I would take this goaltending over anything in the previous two months.

Some people just can't be satisfied, Varly has a 40+ save shutout and I read in here, that had to be the worst shutout I've ever seen. Lol, just be happy that he played well made a few big time saves and the team won 3-0. I can probably point out moments of luck, bad rebound control and near misses in ever shutout ever recorded.

Who cares if his rebound control wasn't perfect, or there were some shots that just barely missed. What did we have like 3 posts and least 2-3 shots that just barely missed, on Subban. It's seems to me that is kind of how the game works. Every game is decided by a few inches here and there.

It's seems ridiculous to say anything negative about goaltending when you get a a shutout, literally the best possible outcome for a goalie.
Just call me out or quote my post if you disagree with it, don't go around the bend and say "some people" when it was purely directed at me. I thought Varlamov was amazing on the PK, but really average everywhere else. The best saves he made in that game were ones where he was directly responsible for terrible rebound control.

Now I understand that rebound control is the toughest aspect for goalers and even the best goalers give out bad rebounds, but it was beyond constant for Varlamov. Every one shot, the defence had to fight for and clear because he's not being aggressive anymore. Part of it could come from the goaler coach, but the highest percentage of goals come from rebounds and that is something where Varlamov will destine to fail in if he continues this type of exposure for opposing teams to capitalize on.

Not only that, but it was also a weak shutout from some of the golden opportunities VGK players missed (some were wide open nets like Patch's chance). What happened to VGK is what happened to the Avs when we played the Blues. Allen was good in that game, but Avs prime chances all missed the net or the game would have been very much different. You keep rolling with Varly, give Grubauer one of the BxB, and continue with Varlamov (we're not in a position to care about his groin anymore or hope that Grubs gets his confidence back).

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I honestly have no idea what to think about all of this. We have no idea how long will this last and we have no idea about the future of the team between the pipes. The only thing getting more evident with each passing day is that they have no faith in Grubauer, that trade could be worse than the Berra one.

PS

Honestly, I'd trade him for an upcoming UFA goalie like Howard or Miller.

Also, LV missed about 5 goals last night. We didn't dominate them in the 3-0 win. That game could have easily gone the other way.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Oh no doubt I would take this goaltending over anything in the previous two months.

Just call me out or quote my post if you disagree with it, don't go around the bend and say "some people" when it was purely directed at me. I thought Varlamov was amazing on the PK, but really average everywhere else. The best saves he made in that game were ones where he was directly responsible for terrible rebound control.

Now I understand that rebound control is the toughest aspect for goalers and even the best goalers give out bad rebounds, but it was beyond constant for Varlamov. Every one shot, the defence had to fight for and clear because he's not being aggressive anymore. Part of it could come from the goaler coach, but the highest percentage of goals come from rebounds and that is something where Varlamov will destine to fail in if he continues this type of exposure for opposing teams to capitalize on.

Not only that, but it was also a weak shutout from some of the golden opportunities VGK players missed (some were wide open nets like Patch's chance). What happened to VGK is what happened to the Avs when we played the Blues. Allen was good in that game, but Avs prime chances all missed the net or the game would have been very much different. You keep rolling with Varly, give Grubauer one of the BxB, and continue with Varlamov (we're not in a position to care about his groin anymore or hope that Grubs gets his confidence back).
You're not the only person bagging on Varly's shutout, I've seen multiple posts about his supposed shit rebound control. I just find it weird to bag on a shutout. It wasn't a perfect shutout he made some errors but at the end of the night he made every save. Last I checked the only stat that matters is 0 goals against. He did his job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->