GDT: Game LIX: Avalanche vs Holden Knights | 7 PM MT | February 18, 2019

Parker27

Aug 3, 2005
Montana
Mikko is just squeezing his stick right now. kerfoot on the other hand should sit in the box for the next game for to many interference penalties on his own teammates. Credit to Bednar for switching things up. But end of the day biggest credit goes to Varly. Two weeks ago that is a different outcome. Positive of the night we are 2-1 in the last three games. Think small sample size right now.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Haha Bednar is smarter than any of us. Talk about blending the lines. I was concerned before the game how the players would react to this. Great response from them. The effort was there from the start. The PP sucked even more though.

Great game by Varly. This is what I was talking about the last few week. There are always breakdowns in a game bt when it happens you need your goalie to bail you out. That is exactly what Varly did today. Numerous big saves. In fact he has been great for the last 3-4 games now. Good on him to get things back on track.

We can trade the OTT's 1st now because we have Agozzino now for our 2nd line....... OK maybe not but I was really happy for him. Well deserved.

Reactions: MarkT

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Solid team win, the Bednar blender actually worked and I thought everyone was rolling tonight. Nieto again with another strong game, that's three in a row. MacKinnon was also superb and actually Ghetto was also passable today. There were still a lot of missed assignments concerning team defence, but Varly on the PK particular was fantastic and kept the momentum on our side. Thought Zadorov got great as the game went along and it seems there was a lot more team unity compared to the two previous months. Want to echo the comments above, McGahey is absolutely outstanding. Sad we were stuck with Hayes for like twenty years and now get stuck with Moser for another twenty.

Now with that said, that had to be one of the worst shutouts I've ever seen a goaler get. Rebound galore to the max, slot? Cheque. Around the net? Cheque. Near the posts? Cheque. Back to Vegas fowards? Cheque. Sure he did good, but there are still a ton of issues surrounding him today.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Frankie and Kaut taking in the game

Sounds like a bunch of players actually have apartments in the Denver area and drive to Loveland for practice and games. I believe Toninato mentioned that he stays in a hotel room for the back-to-back ones. Seems kind of like a waste of money, but better than actually staying in Loveland or Greeley your entire time.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Solid team win, the Bednar blender actually worked and I thought everyone was rolling tonight. Nieto again with another strong game, that's three in a row. MacKinnon was also superb and actually Ghetto was also passable today. There were still a lot of missed assignments concerning team defence, but Varly on the PK particular was fantastic and kept the momentum on our side. Thought Zadorov got great as the game went along and it seems there was a lot more team unity compared to the two previous months. Want to echo the comments above, McGahey is absolutely outstanding. Sad we were stuck with Hayes for like twenty years and now get stuck with Moser for another twenty.

Now with that said, that had to be one of the worst shutouts I've ever seen a goaler get. Rebound galore to the max, slot? Cheque. Around the net? Cheque. Near the posts? Cheque. Back to Vegas fowards? Cheque. Sure he did good, but there are still a ton of issues surrounding him today.
I know what you mean but based on the goaltending we been getting since December I think im gonna give him a pass haha. I think if the Knights had any touch around the net tonight they get 2-3 goals. We got lucky on a few of their missed chances but hey thats hockey and we havent been getting those kinda breaks for a long time.

Reactions: MacBradley

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Some people just can't be satisfied, Varly has a 40+ save shutout and I read in here, that had to be the worst shutout I've ever seen. Lol, just be happy that he played well made a few big time saves and the team won 3-0. I can probably point out moments of luck, bad rebound control and near misses in ever shutout ever recorded.

Who cares if his rebound control wasn't perfect, or there were some shots that just barely missed. What did we have like 3 posts and least 2-3 shots that just barely missed, on Subban. It's seems to me that is kind of how the game works. Every game is decided by a few inches here and there.

It's seems ridiculous to say anything negative about goaltending when you get a a shutout, literally the best possible outcome for a goalie.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Kerfoot sucks ass. Get him outta here now. Other than that I thought everyone played well at 5v5 except Jost. He was alright but nothing special.
tumblr_inline_pk4b9jE7Yw1qg5kg0_540.gif

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Nice to see a win so close to the last win. It's been awhile there.

Only complaints are that Kerfoot and Ghetto should have been nowhere near MacK. Dump them on the 4th line (With Greer because Bednar will forever hate him) and stick Aggz and Compher on Mack's wings, they had better games and wanted it more.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I clearly don't pay enough attention outside of games - why the **** is Tommy Tomatoes out of the line-up and replaced by someone else from the AHL?
I am available when Bednar get canned. Probably cheaper, too.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Excellent win. I thought all the lines looked good except the 4th, which didn't really get a chance to be either good or bad.

Ghetto-MacKinnon-Kerfoot: This line may as well be the MacKinnon line as you could tell the wingers were laser-focused on getting the puck to Nate. Honestly I don't really mind that since Mac is so amazing at creating offense all by himself. Hopefully if it stays together they build a little more chemistry, although I like others thought Kerfoot was overall terrible, maybe playing with Nate will help him be an NHL-level player.

Nieto-Soderberg-Rantanen: A very solid line - good defensively and was able to get some pretty good offensive chances as well. Personally I'm just ecstatic that they actually gave Soderberg a talented offensive winger. I want to see this line get more time together.

Landeskog-Jost-Calvert: I actually really liked this line. Landy and Calvert were able to take on all the defensive responsibility, and Jost actually impressed me with his forechecking, which was solid all night. He's still a bit of a disaster with the puck on his stick, but if these guys just focus on cycling and let Landy do most of the puck handling, they could be very solid.

Overall the defense looked good. Graves and Zadorov I thought were kinda shaky and inconsistent, but neither was bad, and Barrie managed to be good enough offensively that it more than balanced out his usual defensive deficiencies.

Varly: As other have pointed out, his rebound control was pretty bad, but he was clearly tracking the puck well and was playing with confidence. I hope this shutout helps him further build his confidence and that in turn will lead to better rebound control. Great night overall though - hard to argue with a shutout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->