GDT: GAME IV - 10/11/18 5pm Colorado @ Buffalo: The Rasmussance

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
A lot of MacKinnon's success comes from Duchene being traded. How many peoples still miss Duchene?

Well, most of us probably wanted him to succeed here but he didn't and we are moving on, life is tough sometimes. It was definately the right decision to move him, Duchene needed new environment/change and the Avs too. I feel a sorry for him about the mess in Ottawa though.

Nathan McKinnon is such a great powerful player, I like him more and more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avs

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Nice response to Columbus although I feel 6-1 was a bit harsh on the Sabres. Mack made that breakaway goal so effortless.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Remember when EJ used to just go with the puck? Now it seems like he’s always trying to defer to Girard. Would be nice to see the Condor take flight again.

Thought Girard has some good moments, but a couple bad turnovers again. He makes so many good plays he is bound to give the puck up every now and then.

Still not a fan of Z being paired with other defence men that require him to be the puck mover. At least while he isn’t looking confident.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You know what has impressed me most with MacKinnon over the past year the most, it's good ability to read the flow of a game or a couple of games and then adapt to it.

Example being right now to start the season he is scoring a bunch of goals. This is mainly because Rantanen and Landy are struggling to find the net so MacKinnon knows he's got to do the heavy lifting and get goals. I guarantee when they start getting hotter shooting the puck MacKinnon will start to rack up assists.

This is what Sakic used to do. When we needed goals he'd get goals. When others were feeling it he'd get them the puck in good spots. He just knew what he needed to do to help the team win and that is what MacKinnon is don't right now. Making the right plays to help us win.

The maturation of MacKinnon has been very impressive, I'm very excited about where he is heading.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Remember when EJ used to just go with the puck? Now it seems like he’s always trying to defer to Girard. Would be nice to see the Condor take flight again.

Thought Girard has some good moments, but a couple bad turnovers again. He makes so many good plays he is bound to give the puck up every now and then.

Still not a fan of Z being paired with other defence men that require him to be the puck mover. At least while he isn’t looking confident.
EJ's been good, though. So solid defensively.

Speaking about defense, Avs' PK is impressive. I like it so much more now without Comeau wandering around. With Kamenev (and hopefully Timmins) joining in soon it should even get better, too.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
To be quite honest, at this point I just think we're becoming a legitimately good team. We've got one of the best players in the league. One of the top lines in the league.

Our biggest area of weakness is a legit 2nd line, but we make up for that and then some by having really strong depth through the bottom 6 that other teams simply dont have. Soda, Jost, and Compher down the middle is very strong behind Mackinnon even if none of them are legit 2Cs. Kerfoot so far is turning quite a few of us into fools. He looks like a legit Top 6 winger this year, scary with the puck on his stick because while he is certainly a pass first type of player, he's shown a willingness to shoot this year a lot more and as we saw last night he actually has a good shot when he uses it.

And then you look at the Defense. We have 3 legit Top 4 Defenders for sure on the team(Girard, EJ, Barrie). And in Girard we're witnessing a kid emerge as a 20 year old Top pairing Defender as well. Then behind them you have some quality depth once again in Zadorov, Cole and Nemeth. Cole and Zads are capable of being Top 4 guys when they're playing well, and Nemeth is almost the perfect bottom pairing Defender in todays game.

Right now, we're just a legitimately good team with strong depth in every position. And we really should only get better as the season goes on, and then next year when we add all the prospects we have coming up into the fold as well.

It's a truly great time to be an Avs fan.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Okay, will share thoughts about the game (or the highlights I saw) later, just thought I'd post this photoshop of Bob Dahlin that didn't make the cut.

Attachments

• rasmus-dahlin-2018-7049.jpg
    rasmus-dahlin-2018-7049.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: DanishAvsfan

Makar to MacK

Sep 14, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
To be quite honest, at this point I just think we're becoming a legitimately good team. We've got one of the best players in the league. One of the top lines in the league.

Our biggest area of weakness is a legit 2nd line, but we make up for that and then some by having really strong depth through the bottom 6 that other teams simply dont have. Soda, Jost, and Compher down the middle is very strong behind Mackinnon even if none of them are legit 2Cs. Kerfoot so far is turning quite a few of us into fools. He looks like a legit Top 6 winger this year, scary with the puck on his stick because while he is certainly a pass first type of player, he's shown a willingness to shoot this year a lot more and as we saw last night he actually has a good shot when he uses it.

And then you look at the Defense. We have 3 legit Top 4 Defenders for sure on the team(Girard, EJ, Barrie). And in Girard we're witnessing a kid emerge as a 20 year old Top pairing Defender as well. Then behind them you have some quality depth once again in Zadorov, Cole and Nemeth. Cole and Zads are capable of being Top 4 guys when they're playing well, and Nemeth is almost the perfect bottom pairing Defender in todays game.

Right now, we're just a legitimately good team with strong depth in every position. And we really should only get better as the season goes on, and then next year when we add all the prospects we have coming up into the fold as well.

I agree 100%. When you add the our 1st rounder plus Sens pick, Kaut, Ranta, Bowers, Saigeon, Makar, and Timmons man I cant wait to see what our lines look like in 2 seasons. The Avs are the real deal and are only going to get better as out youngsters get there NHL legs going. #GoAvsGo

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
Landeskog-Mack-Rant
Krebs-Jost- Kakko
Kerfoot- Compher-Kaut
Kamenev-Bowers-Calvert
Wilson-Soderberg-Nieto
Ranta-Shiryev-Saigeon
Kovalenko-Beaudin-Weiss
etc...

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
A lot of MacKinnon's success comes from Duchene being traded. How many peoples still miss Duchene?

That's actually not true, he started his rev-up when Duchene was still in burgundy. If there was one major change that led to the explosion it was when Bednar put Landeskog on the left wing with NM and Rantanen.

People also seem to forget that while Nate was warming up, Duchene played quite well for the Avs and kept them above water. It wasn't like he showed up last season and pouted the whole time.

I'm not gonna sit here and say getting a distraction out of the locker room and allowing the team to breathe a collective sigh of relief didn't help matter, obviously it did (more importantly, it happened on the eve of Colorado's trip to Sweden for the Global Series, which a lot of players have cited as the trip that brought them together as a team), but I'm just not havin' it with this narrative that Matt Duchene was some kind of boat anchor around Nathan MacKinnon's neck.

Some of us can be thrilled with the trade and the wonderful assets it brought in (like Sammy Girard) and lament the loss of a good player who, for reasons not entirely under his control, did not work out.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Hello all,
I’m a long time lurker and I occasionally pop in from time to time. Just want to say thanks for having such a great community and awesome posts.

I think we need a bit of a reality check. That was not an excellent win last night. We are not a top team. We’re good and getting better, don’t get me wrong, but we have along way to go before we are a top team.

Last night was an example of the statistics lying to you.

- Our PP was 2/4... but in reality, our PP looked pretty bad. We struggled really badly with zone entries, and were constantly chasing the puck back down the ice. The Jost goal was pretty good, but the Wilson goal was a lucky bounce, it landed right on his stick...

- Our P.K. was 7/7 but In reality it was pretty bad. Buf truly lacks any finishing instinct but they had our P.K. twisted in knots most of the time. With excellent passing and easy zone entries their pps were almost constant pressure. If not for BUF sucking and Varly being really good, it could have been a different game. Also 7 PPs??? That’s too much.

Honestly BUF had the better special teams, they just lack finishers.

Mackinnons first goal came right after BUF scored, after they had worked so hard and for so long in our zone and they finally got one. They had actually won the puck battle in their own end, against Rantanen, and were exiting the zone when the puck got tangled up in the refs skates. He unknowingly kicked it right back to Rantanen who was already set up for a 2 on 1 with Mack. Pass. Shot. Goal.

That goal broke BUF’s back. They worked so hard to get one, and then the ref just kicks a freebie over to Mack and Rants.

After that goal Buf was dead in the water.

So it’s nice to see some secondary scoring and we did score some nice goals, Girard IS a young hockey god and we will be a very good team in the near future, but this game was an example of some good puck luck and beating a bad team.

Not a great win, and we are not YET a great team. Lots of things to work out.

Thanks, said my piece. Love ya. Go avs, ✌️ peace out

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's okay to revel in a win, even against a very bad team like Buffalo. And unfortunately for their fans, and a couple of them are friends of mine, this is still a very, very bad team.

However the power play gets goals is fine by me, they don't have to look great. The 2nd score by Wilson was kinda off a broken play, but whatever, if anything this team needs to score more ugly goals, that was a problem last season.

There's still plenty of positives you can take out of this. How many times in years' past did we get on the Avs for not finishing off a demoralized opponent? How many times could they have turned a close game into a laugher only to let them right back in the game? They didn't do that this time, and that's the mark of a good team.

Do I think they already are a dominant team? No...and I don't think anyone is saying as much. But we might finally be seeing the blessed progress we have waiting so patiently for. This doesn't look like some fluke run buoyed by a goaltender standing on his head and one or two players going on ridiculous scoring streaks. This team is passing the eye test AND their underlying numbers overall are looking good. And what's more, I don't think the goaltending has been stellar. It had to be in times past in order for this team to win.

If nothing else this should be a bit of a confidence builder for a team that struggled on the road last season.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Hello all,
I’m a long time lurker and I occasionally pop in from time to time. Just want to say thanks for having such a great community and awesome posts.

I think we need a bit of a reality check. That was not an excellent win last night. We are not a top team. We’re good and getting better, don’t get me wrong, but we have along way to go before we are a top team.

Last night was an example of the statistics lying to you.

- Our PP was 2/4... but in reality, our PP looked pretty bad. We struggled really badly with zone entries, and were constantly chasing the puck back down the ice. The Jost goal was pretty good, but the Wilson goal was a lucky bounce, it landed right on his stick...

- Our P.K. was 7/7 but In reality it was pretty bad. Buf truly lacks any finishing instinct but they had our P.K. twisted in knots most of the time. With excellent passing and easy zone entries their pps were almost constant pressure. If not for BUF sucking and Varly being really good, it could have been a different game. Also 7 PPs??? That’s too much.

Honestly BUF had the better special teams, they just lack finishers.

Mackinnons first goal came right after BUF scored, after they had worked so hard and for so long in our zone and they finally got one. They had actually won the puck battle in their own end, against Rantanen, and were exiting the zone when the puck got tangled up in the refs skates. He unknowingly kicked it right back to Rantanen who was already set up for a 2 on 1 with Mack. Pass. Shot. Goal.

That goal broke BUF’s back. They worked so hard to get one, and then the ref just kicks a freebie over to Mack and Rants.

After that goal Buf was dead in the water.

So it’s nice to see some secondary scoring and we did score some nice goals, Girard IS a young hockey god and we will be a very good team in the near future, but this game was an example of some good puck luck and beating a bad team.

Not a great win, and we are not YET a great team. Lots of things to work out.

Thanks, said my piece. Love ya. Go avs, ✌️ peace out

Who let you in?

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
I agree. There are so many positives to take from a win like this. Girard is a beauty, Kamenev looked good. Soderberg has been a beast to start the year. Jost is on the board. Mackinnon really doesn’t look like himself, but gosh darn it the goals are still going in !

But we gotta take some lessons from this one too. We gotta be more disciplined, and we have to work on our special teams, big time...

That being said I love the direction of this team, I couldn’t be happier with the development of Girard... he could easily have been out best skater tonight.

I don’t think Mackinnon is playing like his normal self, but my belief is that he’ll get back there sometime soon and THEN we may actually be dangerous

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine

I agree and I think obviously a legit 2nd line center would be optimal but I'm kind of hoping Sakic goes out and gets the big time winger a la Panarin.

I think that would make us a true contender and I think we have the assets. I know fans want us to be patient to really see what we have but I think we're going to have to go out and get that last piece to push us over the top. And that's all I think we'll need. One solid trade or FA signing.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
I agree and I think obviously a legit 2nd line center would be optimal but I'm kind of hoping Sakic goes out and gets the big time winger a la Panarin.

I think that would make us a true contender and I think we have the assets. I know fans want us to be patient to really see what we have but I think we're going to have to go out and get that last piece to push us over the top. And that's all I think we'll need. One solid trade or FA signing.

I really think it depends on what we look like at the deadline, and then again over the summer no matter what. If the Avs are playing really well and looking good heading into the deadline, we could see Sakic try and go after a piece like that then. I'd fully support that.

Over the summer...MacKinnon had some quotes, I think in his Prewitt piece, where he said he was fine with Sakic being patient this past summer but next summer he's going to be in his face telling him to go for it. I feel like that mentality is all over the team: go hard in the paint next summer.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad