Speculation: Game-fiddlin' (rule changes that would help the Oilers)

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
other question/same topic...

will smaller pads help or hinder any of our goalies?
Talbs/Nilsson/Broissoit/Laurikainen....etc.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Rule changes that would help the Oilers:
1. No contact
2. Opposing goalie removed on power plays
3. Oilers moved to the Eastern conference

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Ban offsides.

Agreed, not that i'm a fan of cherry pickers. But I hate when offsides are called when a guy is half a step over the blue line. Is it really that big of a deal? If there was a way to ban the trap as well that would be beautiful. Just show the league a video of hockey in the 50-80's and say to all the teams, "Play this way, not the way you play now"

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Call the rule book as it is written, regardless of age of the players involved, game situation, or what penalties were called earlier. Actually call obstruction.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
A really big change that will never happen.......

Once you gain the blueline , the puck has to go back over centre before you would have to gain it again, will create less forced offsides and more room to create for players to attack with speed , less ability of standing up the play at the blueline for the defence , should spread out the defenders allowing more passing lanes and dump and chase opportunities

Could go back to the full 2 min pp....and really punish a PK by not allowing icing as well...score as much as you can...much like a 5 min major now

This. I've been hoping the NHL would try out the floating blue line for a preseason for a while now to see how it goes. There would be way more chances off the rush.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Couple changes I'd like to see.

Call the rule book as it is. There would be a ton of penalties, but like every other sports league players will have to adjust if they want to play.

International head shot rule. I really don't like that an accidental hit to the head is a penalty or even a 5 minute major, but what I hate more is not knowing what the hell constitutes a head shot in the NHL period. Go with the 5 minute major for any contact and be done with. It forces players to play smarter.

Smaller goalie equipment. Either that or larger nets. I prefer smaller equipment as it wouldn't change the look of the game as much.

Final one and this is just a longshot that I've never heard of, but 2nd period the visiting team gets last line change. Would give us a chance on the road to have one period(our worse period apparently anyway) to shelter our players. Would still give us two periods at home.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Couple changes I'd like to see.

Call the rule book as it is. There would be a ton of penalties, but like every other sports league players will have to adjust if they want to play.

International head shot rule. I really don't like that an accidental hit to the head is a penalty or even a 5 minute major, but what I hate more is not knowing what the hell constitutes a head shot in the NHL period. Go with the 5 minute major for any contact and be done with. It forces players to play smarter.

Smaller goalie equipment. Either that or larger nets. I prefer smaller equipment as it wouldn't change the look of the game as much.

Final one and this is just a longshot that I've never heard of, but 2nd period the visiting team gets last line change. Would give us a chance on the road to have one period(our worse period apparently anyway) to shelter our players. Would still give us two periods at home.

Yeah I'd be fine with all of that. Contact with head should be an automatic 5-minute.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Agreed, not that i'm a fan of cherry pickers. But I hate when offsides are called when a guy is half a step over the blue line. Is it really that big of a deal? If there was a way to ban the trap as well that would be beautiful. Just show the league a video of hockey in the 50-80's and say to all the teams, "Play this way, not the way you play now"

If offsides are eliminated then there's no neutral zone and in theory no neutral zone trap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad