Game Day Nutrition

nwharris74

Nov 11, 2010
Just wondering what everyone does for pregame meals? What you eat, how long before the game you tend to eat, any horror stories of what not to eat. I know from personal experience that Jack in the Box an hour before the game is not recommended.

Thank you.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
You can search this forum and you'll find a lot of threads on this. The short answer you'll get from a lot of people on this topic is to eat light before a game or at least give yourself plenty of time in between your meal and the game.

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
On game days I like to have plain oatmeal in the morning and I mix in a trail mix with it so it has a better taste.

Stay away from pasta and white breads and stuff, it will give you some energy at the start but cause you to crash later on, likely during the game.

Chicken is really good to have as well, with a vegetable of some kind on the side. I also carry Pepitas around with me, which are the inside of a pumpkin seed or something like that. You can find them anywhere. They give you some energy.

Stay away from sugary things, and try to have some protein with every meal (chicken, almonds, oat meal, all contain protein)

You should try to eat at least every 2 - 21/2 hours because if not your body will release cortisol.

I learned all this from the training place I went to. Following a proper diet make a big difference. I use to feel tired throughout the day but now I feel like I have energy throughout it and feel mentally sharp. I notice the biggest difference if I dont eat right, you just feel sluggish.

Lastly drink a ton of water, and be prepared to be always hungry. Thats the worst part of eating properly, you get hungry fast.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do *not* skip breakfast. Oatmeal (plain, not loaded up with tons of sugar) is a godsend because it will fill you up right off the bat.

Usually I have plain oatmeal + some dried cranberries + 1 packet of sweenter (that eases the taste) and a protein shake for breakfast.

As said above I'd avoid breads and a ton of pasta. Eating at Subway may seem like a smart thing to do before a game, but the heavy amount of bread can make you sleepy after.

Seasoned chicken + veggies on the side is a can't miss.

I like to take in a little bit of sugar (maybe a fruit bar) + combined with 1 scoop protein shake about 30-40 minutes before any kind of work out/game.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I don't mean to thread hijack but starting this Sunday I'm going to be playing twice in a day.

First session is 6-7pm and second session is 11pm-12:30am.

Is there anything I can do nutritionally to keep myself energized for game 2? I figure that the first few weeks of that is going to be rough since I'm not accustomed to soaking up that much ice in a day.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would eat a lot in the morning, put some gatorade in your water bottle, have some chocolate milk after the first game, and then a snack afterwards. Take a hot shower and do a lot of stretching between games. I'd imagine your legs will suffer the most. But I think you'd adapt after a few weeks.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
I suggest having some fast digesting carbs and protein immediately after game one, ideally a whey protein shake along with drinking that gatorade in your water bottle the first game and chocolate milk that Jarick suggested. You want something that digests fast because of the recovery time between those games. Maybe some fruit and granola after that?

Something similar after game two as well, with the carbs and protein. Then once you get home maybe if you can microwave some leftovers/slower digesting food to help with recovery overnight.

+2 on the stretching, especially quads and adductors. If you can get a foam roller I also suggest that after game two when you get home. You should feel a world of difference the next day if you haven't done a post game nutrition/recovery routine like this before. :)

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
Why are you avoiding breads/pasta the day of a game? Complete opposite of what you should be doing.

High carb/light protein/low to no fats 3-4 hrs before a game. Lots of water for hydration and water and/or sports drink right before and during.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
My fav is a homemade stir-fry; vegetables, chicken, brown rice. I try to eat several hours in advance if possible.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I would eat a lot in the morning, put some gatorade in your water bottle, have some chocolate milk after the first game, and then a snack afterwards. Take a hot shower and do a lot of stretching between games. I'd imagine your legs will suffer the most. But I think you'd adapt after a few weeks.

What if I use a protein shake instead of chocolate milk? I'd love to take some chocolate milk, but the flavouring agent used by most milk companies contains gluten.

I suggest having some fast digesting carbs and protein immediately after game one, ideally a whey protein shake along with drinking that gatorade in your water bottle the first game and chocolate milk that Jarick suggested. You want something that digests fast because of the recovery time between those games. Maybe some fruit and granola after that?

Something similar after game two as well, with the carbs and protein. Then once you get home maybe if you can microwave some leftovers/slower digesting food to help with recovery overnight.

+2 on the stretching, especially quads and adductors. If you can get a foam roller I also suggest that after game two when you get home. You should feel a world of difference the next day if you haven't done a post game nutrition/recovery routine like this before.

Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely grab a shower and do some stretching after the first game, and after game 2.

I might cook up some eggs with veggies and some toast (breakfast for dinner!) after game 2. Would you recommend another protein shake after the second game?

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I usually eat light about 3-4 hours before, with a big breakfast, and mostly carbs. Rarely ever eat protein, and when I do, I don't play well at all.

Razzmatazz

Feb 2, 2010
I've gotten much better at this, having been playing more the past few months.

This is assuming for night games.

Big dinner the night before.

On the day of the game(s): Big breakfast. Moderate lunch. Light dinner, nothing greasy. I'll try to work a salad in there at some point, and try to eat more fruit during the afternoon.

Water water water....drink as much as you can, at least 5 hours before, and up to about an hour and a half before the game. I'm usually running in the doors when I get to the rink to take a leak, and then I'll go one or two more times before the game starts.

I'll have a banana driving over, and a gatorade with some ice in it, if I'm not thirsty, I don't bother with it.

Half an energy drink across the 30 minutes leading up to the warmup, and then a gatorade primer while the zamboni is going (I hadn't used these for a long time, but they do make a big difference)

Big bottle of dilute LOW CALORIE gatorade (50% gatorade, 30% ice, 20% water) on the bench...I often have to force myself to take a swig every time I come off the ice, especially if I'm playing games back to back, but there are some games I'm good to go barely touching it.

If it's a back to back game situation, finish that energy drink after the game, and I'm good to go.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the tips guys... this is gonna be an adjustment and a half. I can't remember the last time I've been this tired... even tournaments never felt this bad! It was great until the last 30 minutes or so... I pretty much scaled back to 30 second shifts and really only played two zones (backcheck like a demon then float offensively, or go all out offensively and coast back).

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
What if I use a protein shake instead of chocolate milk? I'd love to take some chocolate milk, but the flavouring agent used by most milk companies contains gluten.

I might cook up some eggs with veggies and some toast (breakfast for dinner!) after game 2. Would you recommend another protein shake after the second game?

Protein shake would work but you'd need some fast digesting carbs to refill your glycogen stores as much as possible otherwise you'll be running on fumes big time in the second game. Yes on the protein shake after second game, basically any time after strenous exercise - I can't remember the exact timelines but there are studies out that state that recovery is enhanced dramatically in the first 10-30 mins post exercise with some form of carbs & a whey protein shake.

Chocolate milk is good because it contains a small amount of protein (most contain between 7-10g of protein per cup or 250ml) and carbs. But there are other carby options like fruits, yogurts, gatorade, various juices for fast digesting - the slower ones would be like granola bar, pasta... in your situation you probably want something to even it out because there is a 4 hour gap between those games.

When I play late, post game I usually go with a protein shake containing 20-25g of protein and something like fruit or fat free yogurt or even a gatorade - and try eat something else if I have room so I don't feel so miserable next morning. You'll have to toy with what works for you, but it sure is fun when you figure it out :D

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Personally I reduce carbs because it screws with my blood sugar and appetite and I'm trying to drop some weight. So long as you eat a big meal with lots of carbs after you exercise or play hockey, you'll have a full glycogen supply and enough energy for the game. I'm fairly well adapted to lower carb so I don't have problems most of the time.

This past Saturday, I had a total of 70g of carbs for the day before my 5pm game, and I had my best game yet with 4 goals and 8 breakaways. I was also packing and moving all day long. I've played many games with under 30g carbs for the day and did fine. What screws me up is having any alcohol 24 hours before the game, as that screws with my blood sugar and energy levels pretty badly.

If you don't want store bought chocolate milk, mix regular milk with chocolate syrup. It's the combination of protein, fats, and carbs in a very good ratio. A protein shake would work as well, but you'll want to add some sugar to it.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Too many variables to give a good answer. You're going to have to listen to everybody's advice and find the perfect system for you. It took me a long time to figure out what I need to eat the day of the game and the day before the game and now that I know I stick to that system.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->