Game breaking Franchise Mode Glitch (Help if you can)

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I recently got the game, started a Franchise Mode, made the 32nd team. Just finished my second season, so its time to sign the prospects that I drafted my first year (that will now be UFA's).

For some reason any time I try to sign a rookie to an ELC it says "we would like to join but your roster is full", except my roster isn't even close to full. I can sign some random pending UFA on my team no problem, as well as RFA's. Apparently its just pending UFA rookies on their first contract.

I have tried several different things, like releasing all pending UFAs besides the ones I need to sign, and no luck. My only thought was maybe I glitched the game because I traded a few goalies during the draft, so maybe it won't let me sign anyone because I have only one goalie on contract? But that doesn't make sense really since I can sign random older UFA's

No idea what to do, it sucks. I'm going to have to restart to my last autosave and lose like 4 hours of work, or let 3 elite potential rookies walk free.

The weirdest part is I have done some searching and haven't seen anyone else with this problem.

Please let me know if you have any ideas

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
in the resign contract page at the bottom out of 50 how many players does it say you have?

It says only like 30/50 when free agency starts, and I've tried dropping more and still no luck

Release all the UFA:s, they count as players on the roster despite not being signed.

I did that and I watched the number go down, even into the 20's, and it still didn't work. I could sign random UFA's no problem but the rookies just say theres no room

It makes no sense

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
It says only like 30/50 when free agency starts, and I've tried dropping more and still no luck

I did that and I watched the number go down, even into the 20's, and it still didn't work. I could sign random UFA's no problem but the rookies just say theres no room

It makes no sense

Oh?

Damn. Then it must be some other kind of bug. :/

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015

It makes no sense

I call this the ELC bug and it's been around for as long as I can remember. I recently wrote a little something about this in one of my GM logs(unposted). I think I've figured it out, alas there is no real solution. Obviously you can attempt to subvert this circumstance by trading away any unwanted/unsigned prospects before the next draft occurs. However, I find that it's a losing battle.

"
Ah! the ELC bug has reared its ugly head in this year’s game. This bug will not allow you to sign any entry level contracts during the re-sign phase. All the prospects say the roster is full, even though it clearly isn’t. This tends to occur after I’ve drafted a lot of players leading me to believe there is another limit to the roster. You can have 50 players under contract and you should be able to have as many un-signed prospects as you like. However, it appears that once you’ve reached a certain number the game recognizes it as a full roster. Ignoring the fact you don’t have 50 players under contracts. Now I’ve got to battle it out with other teams in FA to sign 3 of my prospects. Luckily, I’ve never had one stolen because of this.
"

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
I call this the ELC bug and it's been around for as long as I can remember. I recently wrote a little something about this in one of my GM logs(unposted). I think I've figured it out, alas there is no real solution. Obviously you can attempt to subvert this circumstance by trading away any unwanted/unsigned prospects before the next draft occurs. However, I find that it's a losing battle.

"
Ah! the ELC bug has reared its ugly head in this year’s game. This bug will not allow you to sign any entry level contracts during the re-sign phase. All the prospects say the roster is full, even though it clearly isn’t. This tends to occur after I’ve drafted a lot of players leading me to believe there is another limit to the roster. You can have 50 players under contract and you should be able to have as many un-signed prospects as you like. However, it appears that once you’ve reached a certain number the game recognizes it as a full roster. Ignoring the fact you don’t have 50 players under contracts. Now I’ve got to battle it out with other teams in FA to sign 3 of my prospects. Luckily, I’ve never had one stolen because of this.
"

Ahhh its nice to hear Im not the only one, but I'm sorry to hear it happened to you.

And that totally makes sense. I had like 4 first rounders, and probably at least 15-20 picks total both years. I was just trading scraps that I signed in FA for late picks. Little did I know I was only hurting myself.

Well I appreciate your post and for tipping me off to why it was happening. Thankfully I have an autosave from the previous offseason, so eventually I'll go back once I'm less pissed off about wasting so much time. And I won't make so many damn draft picks.

Thank you

Reactions: GrnEggsNHam

Tom Collins

Aug 26, 2013
Well boy am I glad I saw this before going ahead with the "build through the draft" plan with my Regina Royals. Lack young depth something fierce and I was going to stock up on picks for the 2020 (next) draft.

GrnEggsNHam

Mar 10, 2015
Well boy am I glad I saw this before going ahead with the "build through the draft" plan with my Regina Royals. Lack young depth something fierce and I was going to stock up on picks for the 2020 (next) draft.
You can still do it for 1 year, but if you draft 15-20 players 2-3 years in a row you'll see the bug. It sucks because everyone knows the first 2 drafts are the deepest.

Hemp1991

Dec 27, 2018
I've got this in NHL 19. Is there any way at all to avoid it? I built a very good Detroit red wings team through draft and development only to lose like 5 guys to UFA that were the rookies. 3 top 6 high pot and 2 elite Cs. Ticked me off hardcore. Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad