GDT: Game 9: Sweden Vs Switzerland | 1PM EST 7 PM CET | SWE 5 - 2 SUI

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Nice move, nice shot. Well deserved second goal, SWE a little bit careless in the 3rd period.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Is this a Swedish phenomenon? I feel like this is happening every year at this tournament when Sweden just gets comfortable and plays like crap, while other teams, Canada and USA in particular just keeps going when they're dominating a game

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Is this a Swedish phenomenon? I feel like this is happening every year at this tournament when Sweden just gets comfortable and plays like crap, while other teams, Canada and USA in particular just keeps going when they're dominating a game

Yupp (lagom) or Jante minde set you shall not think you are something :lol:

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
He has been subpar compared to the others, but worse than Ginning? No.
I disagree. Ginning can at least, on occasion outmuscle his oppponent, Björnfot on the other hand is just as bad with the puck along with not being able to outmuscle people. But neither should really be on the team.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Ginning hasn't seen much ice but he's come as advertised, not in the same division as our other D. It's just mind boggling how Söderström (who was fantastic this game too) was left off this team in favor of Ginning. Said it probably 10 times but that's some crazy stuff.

Anyway, good game. Complete domination until they stopped playing.

Reactions: Star Ocean

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Ginning hasn't seen much ice but he's playing as advertised. It's just mind boggling how Söderström (who's been our best player IMO) was left off this team in favor of Ginning. Crazy stuff.

Anyway, good game. Complete domination until they stopped playing.
Yup, the fact that he wasn't supposed to be on the team is borderline criminal. The game against Finland would've probably been a loss without him.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Every now and then, when Sweden plays a dominant period like the first against Switzerland, where they looked 1 class above Switzerland, they take it a bit easier at the begining of the 2nd.

Not this time, pretty much monoplizing the puck for most of the period, relentless forechecking if for once losing it. Totally outclassing the Swiss, in every aspect, giving them no time and space to move, makeing them look lost. And if the Swiss can't outwork the Swedes, they barely can hold a candle to them.

The 3rd was just the Swedes saving energy for future purposes.

As a Swiss, you just have to accept this defeat today by a superior opponent with a clear gameplan.

Even if the other side is the killer group. If the Swedes stay this focused, I wouldn't wanna meet them in the QFs.

Reactions: Slimmy

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I disagree. Ginning can at least, on occasion outmuscle his oppponent, Björnfot on the other hand is just as bad with the puck along with not being able to outmuscle people. But neither should really be on the team.

If that is your assessment of Björnfot, it must have been the first time you have ever seen him play. Maybe not be that quick to judge. I have seen him probably 30-40 times.

Björnfot is a mobile two-way defenseman with hockey sense, hands, skating ability that Ginning only could dream of. He can also play with an edge, play the body and is usually very solid defensively.

I kind of agree he has not been great so far, but trust me, you will change your mind in the future and be amused that you once prefered Ginning over Björnfot.

As for Ginning, there are 10-15 better junior defensemen back home in Sweden. It also looks like Montén is finally realizing it as well, not playing him more than necessarily in the two opening games.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
If that is your assessment of Björnfot, it must have been the first time you have ever seen him play. Maybe not be that quick to judge. I have seen him probably 30-40 times.

Björnfot is a mobile two-way defenseman with hockey sense, hands, skating ability that Ginning only could dream of. He can also play with an edge, play the body and is usually very solid defensively.

I kind of agree he has not been great so far, but trust me, you will change your mind in the future and be amused that you once prefered Ginning over Björnfot.

As for Ginning, there are 10-15 better junior defensemen back home in Sweden. It also looks like Montén is finally realizing it as well, not playing him more than necessarily in the two opening games.
I've seen him play plenty of games for the j18 national team. He's just generally overrated IMO.

Well on Ginning, maybe the lack of ice time for him is making me perceive him as a better player than Björnfot, who IMO getting exposed by fairly decent TOI. On the other hand Ginning did, in his few minutes of actual play in this game manage to create a goal against via a massively stupid penalty.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
björnfot looked great in NHL preseason. How do you go from that to looking like crap at wjc?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Every now and then, when Sweden plays a dominant period like the first against Switzerland, where they looked 1 class above Switzerland, they take it a bit easier at the begining of the 2nd.

Not this time, pretty much monoplizing the puck for most of the period, relentless forechecking if for once losing it. Totally outclassing the Swiss, in every aspect, giving them no time and space to move, makeing them look lost. And if the Swiss can't outwork the Swedes, they barely can hold a candle to them.

The 3rd was just the Swedes saving energy for future purposes.

As a Swiss, you just have to accept this defeat today by a superior opponent with a clear gameplan.

Even if the other side is the killer group. If the Swedes stay this focused, I wouldn't wanna meet them in the QFs.

I just watched the highlights and based on those I didn't get the feeling that the Swedes were dominant. All five of their goals happened because the Swiss didn't defend properly. I saw a lot of lost battles in the slot and puck watching, like last game mainly by the more experienced players. This just cannot happen. Not excusable. Also, even though it's true that Hollenstein cannot be blamed for one of the four he let in, he still shouldn't have been starting. He had his chance and we have three great goalies.

Anyway, in hindsight I'm pretty glad that I missed this stinker. Probably would have blown up my friggin house watching my countrymen's play against the puck. Brutal. Especially Aebischer. As great as he was in game 1, that was a joke of a game 2. Wtf.

Some of the vets gotta finally pull their heads outta their asses if they wanna get anywhere this year. Seriously. This can't be just the flu but I'm gonna get the flu watching this defense.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I just watched the highlights and based on those I didn't get the feeling that the Swedes were dominant. All five of their goals happened because the Swiss didn't defend properly. I saw a lot of lost battles in the slot and puck watching, like last game mainly by the more experienced players. This just cannot happen. Not excusable. Also, even if it's true that Hollenstein cannot be blamed for one of the four he let in, he still shouldn't have been starting. He had his chance and we have three great goalies.

Anyway, in hindsight I'm pretty glad that I missed this stinker. Probably would have blown up my friggin house watching my countrymen's play against the puck. Brutal. Especially Aebischer. As great as he was in game 1, that was a joke of a game 2. Wtf.

Some of the vets gotta finally pull their heads outta their asses if they wanna get anywhere this year. Seriously. This can't be just the flu but I'm gonna get the flu watching this defense.
Yeah ok. Switzerland isnt better than this.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
No way we're weaker. We're much better. Much deeper and much more experienced. 13 returning players from last year I guess, many on the roster are established pro players. No superstar but a very deep roster with 3 excellent goalies, 3 elite defenders and 4 dangerous forward lines all able to generate offense. The only weakness is depth on defense but with Berni, Gross and Moser all logging big minutes and Aebischer hopefully playing well we should be fine.
I think even Germany is more skilled this year than swiss.

Reactions: AB13 and Star Ocean

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think even Germany is more skilled this year than swiss.

I wasn't talking about skill. You shouldn't need much of it anyway if you have three of the best goaltenders and such a veteran squad with this many established pro's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->