GDT: Game 9: Stars @ Coyotes | Why bother to put an effort into this? Part 2

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just got back. I think the Stars finished with 16 SOG? Solid defensive game, but we couldn't create much offensively either. I know we had quite a bit more shots, but it just didn't seem like we had much forecheck and continuous time in the other end. The plethora of PP's helped us for sure, even though we looked like total crap on a couple of them. I loved Torres' first shift, and them showing Torres on the jumbo tron. Glad he's back, and I can tell he wasn't looking for the big hit. Still interested to see what happens against Chicago.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Also, anyone that watched the broadcast have any insight why the lines were changed up? I was trying to pay attention and see if I didn't see someone coming onto the ice that started, but I don't feel like anyone was injured? Was Tipp just trying to mix things up to get better opportunities?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Just got back from the game.

First, I love Yandle, but he had a bad game tonight, way too many turnovers....but the Jelly Jam on the boards was fantastic.

Second, DeMo should be on the 1st PP unit with OEL

Now boys, we've seen a much worse PP for years under Gretzky, our PP this year is light years ahead of anything we've had since we've been here and you have to remember that Sullivan is the main guy that drives the quality 5 on 4 PP unit with Vrbata and Bods.

DeMo is absolutely playing fantastic, and Torres is such a great energy player and wrecked a couple guys tonight.

Miele is out of his league, but he is better than Bolduc, who contributed absolutely nothing, at least Miele had a couple nice tips at the goal tonight.

Boeds looks good, glad he got rewarded for going to the net. The kid's confidence is growing and Vermette is playing really well, starting to turn into one of my favorites, absolutely sneaky defensively.

Tonight was one of those games we had 3 years ago in Tipps first year when we just dominated the games and the other team didn't have a chance. The Stars had 8 SOG going into the 3rd period, 8 SOG...just remarkable defensive team.

Nick Johnson can flat out hit the corners...he doesn't hit the goalie in the middle of his chest, yes, I'm talking to you Korpikoski.

Great game tonight, need to do the same thing to the Wild on Monday

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm currently in New Mexico and the regional sports channel on Directv here is Altitude sports, which is the Avalanche channel. But for NHL center ice I'm located in the Phoenix region. So I get blacked out. It's complete crap.

In the bankruptcy filings the Yotes territorial tv rights map included New Mexico.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
What is the limit on the $1 beers per customer? When I was there last year I think it was 2 or 3 but I might be wrong.

2 beers. No offense to the fans, but I was sitting next to 2 kids from NAU that didn't even get out of their seats when we scored a goal. Hell, even the parents(they were a couple), were giving them crap. "Don't be afraid to look a little exciting for the home team goal". It just wasn't a really exciting game to get into for the most part. Granted we held them back and they couldn't do anything offensively, but there just wasn't these times of continued offensive pressure to get the crowd going.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Just got back from the game.

First, I love Yandle, but he had a bad game tonight, way too many turnovers....but the Jelly Jam on the boards was fantastic.

Second, DeMo should be on the 1st PP unit with OEL

Now boys, we've seen a much worse PP for years under Gretzky, our PP this year is light years ahead of anything we've had since we've been here and you have to remember that Sullivan is the main guy that drives the quality 5 on 4 PP unit with Vrbata and Bods.

DeMo is absolutely playing fantastic, and Torres is such a great energy player and wrecked a couple guys tonight.

Miele is out of his league, but he is better than Bolduc, who contributed absolutely nothing, at least Miele had a couple nice tips at the goal tonight.

Boeds looks good, glad he got rewarded for going to the net. The kid's confidence is growing and Vermette is playing really well, starting to turn into one of my favorites, absolutely sneaky defensively.

Tonight was one of those games we had 3 years ago in Tipps first year when we just dominated the games and the other team didn't have a chance. The Stars had 8 SOG going into the 3rd period, 8 SOG...just remarkable defensive team.

Nick Johnson can flat out hit the corners...he doesn't hit the goalie in the middle of his chest, yes, I'm talking to you Korpikoski.

Great game tonight, need to do the same thing to the Wild on Monday

Just got back. Was also fun to see Raffi back out there at last and that hip check Yandle made almost made up for his turnovers tonight - but I aint complaining we won & got to go to Zoyo for dessert.

We took 3 extra people to the game tonight - two of them had never been to a hockey game before and they loved it. I'm sure winning the game helped with that.

P.S. I had 2 small beers 2 Pepsi and 4 hot dogs tonight and I feel fine...so far anyway...

OOEEL

Apr 9, 2012
Arizona
Am I the only one that thought Miele was alright? Obviously he's not going to be a Conacher or St Louis but he seemed to get a little better as the night. He seemed really out of place on those super short 30-ish second shifts but later into the game he was back checking in the neutral zone and he was completing his checks, for what little impact he has :laugh:

That Miele/Johnson/Korpi line actually got on quite a bit in the 3rd, good to see Tips extending his bench on the second half of a back to back.

ALSO:

I was thinking about our d-corps and think I've got them in order so far from best to worst:

1. OEL
2. DMo
3. Schlem
4. Stone
5. Z(Stone/Z have been a toss up)
6. Rundblad
7. Yandle

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Just got back. Was also fun to see Raffi back out there at last and that hip check Yandle made almost made up for his turnovers tonight - but I aint complaining we won & got to go to Zoyo for dessert.

We took 3 extra people to the game tonight - two of them had never been to a hockey game before and they loved it. I'm sure winning the game helped with that.

P.S. I had 2 small beers 2 Pepsi and 4 hot dogs tonight and I feel fine...so far anyway...

LOL were you in section 214?

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I don't notice it much, but the upper bowl is pretty packed compared to the lower bowl. Just need to work on the lower bowl attendance. First time in upper bowl tonight, but I loved the view and didn't mind it at all.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I think the bottom line is we are actually starting to see a team that plays like the team of the last 3 years. In the last week their points % has jumped from .200ish to .444. I'll take it.

3 wins in a row and they are right in the middle of it. Chicago will be tough, but if Smith can be at least average and the Yotes stay disciplined they can do it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Also, anyone that watched the broadcast have any insight why the lines were changed up? I was trying to pay attention and see if I didn't see someone coming onto the ice that started, but I don't feel like anyone was injured? Was Tipp just trying to mix things up to get better opportunities?

So much PP time juggled the lines a bit.

Schlemko played 22:20, a little more than Yandle and 2nd on the team. Tippett is on to him.

pfp

Sep 4, 2007
The people in front of us had Aucoin and Whitney. I felt bad for them, losing both of the players in the same year.

This is why i won't put a players name on my jersey. However I am considering #3 Turnover.

TeamTourigny

Formally TeamTurris & TeamTippet & TeamTocchet
Jan 16, 2007
Vegas
You rail on Yandel but last I cracked he lead the team in +/- and was tied second with a bunch in points. Last season finished second in points. no other defenseman on this team has his speed to carry that puck out. He does bobble the puck sometimes (no excuses) but in no way should he be the wipping boy he is portrayed. He is a major contributing factor to the segnificantly improved PP. He stopped shooting the puck into opposing teams shin pads, I'm content.

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012
I really liked Torres' game. He threw some solid and clean checks, brought the energy and had a few good chances. The guy has serious hockey talent when he decides he wants to score. I think he might surprise a few people with his offensive talents this year.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
First time I had seen a game live or on TV in about 3 games cause of travel. Nice way to return.... :handclap:

From all appearances, we look like we have tightened up a little bit. A lot fewer positioning mistakes (although the only way to work that out is to play), and have t believe that we've hit that curve in learning that we will see our play continue to get better in that regard.

Still forcing a lot of things. People are correct in saying that this is where Yandle gets himself in trouble, but if you take away the forced plays and that he is breaking the habit of the "fake slapper" routine, he's playing effectively. These are simply the games that I want to see more often from him - forcing plays just kills things. Fantastic hip check, had that one lined up - didn't have a great view, as that's the only area where there is bench traffic, etc. from my seat. All I had to do was wait for the sound of the boards crunching :laugh: Smith forced things a little too much coming out of the crease. Not willing to give him a pass on all of them.

We're starting to let the game come to us - great signs, and the offensive chances keep going. I'm confident we can turn it around, and if we can do so coming up on the road, I'd say it bodes very well for us going forward.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
As for little pieces of the game - 1st period was very rocky. Up and down all the way through. Dallas did change something up in it's neutral zone formations and forechecking that I think through us for a little loop - hence, the forced plays. Guys not talking - we dump around the boards, and two players don't talk. Each one thinks the other is going to get it, and we wind up flubbing it.

Whatever Tip said between the 1st and 2nd, let's hope it rings through for about the next 70+ days....

Like Nick Johnson a lot - he just fits here well. Compares somewhat to Winnik, but a little bigger to work underneath the circles and on the crease.

PP entries have been a lot better this year. Still think that we need to be better in setting up the entry as we bring the puck through the neutral zone, but from center line in to our offensive end, we've been getting the puck in (and staying in) for a much longer period of time.

Torres played well - think he is still holding back some, and players are going to use that to get under his skin. Play hard, but not reckless, and it will calm. A lot going on his shoulders in the first game back, and thought he handled the situation extremely well...

I give Smith a pass on one of the assist attempts that led to the icing - but not the 2nd. He also played the puck in an awkward area in the 2nd - I stopped being nervous about Smith playing the puck about 30 games in last year, and this was the first one I had reservations about since :laugh:

Just keep doing what we are doing and play effectively in transition. The number of shots on goal is great, but it may have also led to the easy goals in transition and turning the puck over in the first 6 games or so...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You rail on Yandel but last I cracked he lead the team in +/- and was tied second with a bunch in points. Last season finished second in points. no other defenseman on this team has his speed to carry that puck out. He does bobble the puck sometimes (no excuses) but in no way should he be the wipping boy he is portrayed. He is a major contributing factor to the segnificantly improved PP. He stopped shooting the puck into opposing teams shin pads, I'm content.

The only issue I have with Yandle is the turnovers. If he can cut those down and keep it simple in our end, I would be happy. The fake shot, shot in pads routine, if the lane to the net is open,shoot it, if not pass it. Hint, watch DMO...

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
The way Derek Morris is playing right now defines the phrase "turn back the clock". He looks like the player he was when he was traded to Colorado. His desire and compete levels are up there with Torres and Smith. And to think I worried about him being a slow starter and not deserving a spot ahead of Stone and Summers :amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad