Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Predators @ Winnipeg

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
As the line-up stands now I wouldn't mind seeing Stalberg put with Legwand. Maybe put Bourque with them and put Wilson with Cullen and Smith. Lets face it. Bourque generally drives his line and I do not see him doing that with Smith and Cullen. He is simply another peice. I think having him with Legwand and Stalberg would be amazing. The issue with this is it leaves Hornqvist out to dry. Once Fisher is back however I could see Hornqvist and Nystrom joining in with Fisher.

I will probably be flamed for this but after watching Forsberg over the first 9 games I am not 100% sure he is ready right now. If he stays on the active roster I would put him on the 4th line and use him on the power play where he has been solid. His 5v 5 play really hasn't been that strong imo. With all that said this is how I would line the up once healthy and as always there is no top line. The top 3 lines would get equal time aside from special teams.

1A Nystrom/Fisher/Hornqvist (this line would do well against top lines of other teams as all of the players can be depended upon to play a full 200ft)

1B Smith/Cullen/Wilson (This would be our top scoring line imo but still would be strong on both ends.)

1C Stalberg/Legwand/Bourque (This could be the top scoring line but more than likely would be our second best scoring line. Lots and lots of speed!)

4 Spaling/Gaustad/Clune or Forsberg or Hendricks (Play Clune when you need a fighter. Play Forsberg when you think you can draw some penalties. Use Hendricks when his game finds him again.)

That is how I see our lines being well balanced and after watching the first 9 games I think these lines would be amazing together.

His biggest issue IMO is he needs to bulk up some. I think that will solve alot of his issues. He seems to get knocked around alot. That's why I think he is with Nystrom which could be hurting him also. I wonder how he'd look with Smith or Bourque compared to Nystrom.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
It's sad but like in Chicago, the way the lines are working right now, there really isn't a place to put him. Too bad he was injured the first few weeks because now he's lost what would have been his spot. I would really like to see him with Wilson, but that would mean Hornqvist would be demoted. I think if they could just get Hendricks off of the 4th line he'd be a heck of a lot better. Hendricks has been weighing that line down.

Also, I have a feeling that Josi has lost his spot next to Weber with the way Jones has played there in his absence.

When Fish comes back, wouldn't surprise me if Trotz left Leggy with Horns/Willy and had Fish center Stalz and FF; Gives FF a speedy skilsy kinda' guy, also has some toughness (that we're getting from Nystrom) and enough defensive-mindedness to cover for FF. That's 3 pretty equal/talented lines - just Trotzy's style. Nystrom and Spals with Goose and a couple nights-off for Hendricks should happen, too. However, Dickie may never see the ice again.

Josi goes back with Weber and Trotz can play with the bottom pairings. By putting any of KK/Jones/42 with Ellis we can make the minutes a little more equal - although shouldn't really slight Barts that way, he's played nicely the last several games. But we know KK is solid and all the kids are probably playing better than most had hoped at this point, so we don't have to roll Shea out there 25+ every night, but have the choice to pick-and-choose when we want too.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
When Fish comes back, wouldn't surprise me if Trotz left Leggy with Horns/Willy and had Fish center Stalz and FF; Gives FF a speedy skilsy kinda' guy, also has some toughness (that we're getting from Nystrom) and enough defensive-mindedness to cover for FF. That's 3 pretty equal/talented lines - just Trotzy's style. Nystrom and Spals with Goose and a couple nights-off for Hendricks should happen, too. However, Dickie may never see the ice again.

Josi goes back with Weber and Trotz can play with the bottom pairings. By putting any of KK/Jones/42 with Ellis we can make the minutes a little more equal - although shouldn't really slight Barts that way, he's played nicely the last several games. But we know KK is solid and all the kids are probably playing better than most had hoped at this point, so we don't have to roll Shea out there 25+ every night, but have the choice to pick-and-choose when we want too.
I want no part of Jones playing with Ellis. He's perfectly fine alongside Weber, so he should be doing nothing less than playing as the 3rd defenseman. Maybe later in the season if he starts to get worn out easier because if the strain on his body that isn't used to the 82 game schedule, but for now, I don't like it.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I like our top 2 D pairs as they are.

They are all clicking.

Maybe we'll get further info on Josi after the team is back in town, but we haven't even received any kind of info that he is even on a bike, let alone skating. He's one of my favorite players, but Jones has played himself onto the top line. And Eckholm is solid with Klein.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I know there were only 3 games yesterday, but Hutton made NHL.com's 2nd Star of the day for last night's play

3stars_zpsd32a86cc.jpg

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I know there were only 3 games yesterday, but Hutton made NHL.com's 2nd Star of the day for last night's play

3stars_zpsd32a86cc.jpg

Well, deserved. Chalk that up as one of those things I NEVER thought I'd see when we signed him. He played awesome, as did he in St Louis.

PS who does he look like? I can't decide if it's someone I know or if it's a celebrity haha but he looks familiar.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I like our top 2 D pairs as they are.

They are all clicking.

Maybe we'll get further info on Josi after the team is back in town, but we haven't even received any kind of info that he is even on a bike, let alone skating. He's one of my favorite players, but Jones has played himself onto the top line. And Eckholm is solid with Klein.

Weber and jones still need to work on some of their chemistry. That play where Kane was left alone in the slot was not a pretty one and it was either lack of comunication between them or Weber was simply trying to do to much as he came over to take Jones's man leaving Kane open. I have seen this done more than once and I'm not sure if the coaches are telling Weber to help Jones out or if it is just happening due to lakc of chemistry. They need to fix it though.

Once Josi comes back after what we have seen from Jones I would leave Jones with Weber unless there is a fatigue issue at some point. Put Josi with Klein on the second pairing anf put Ekholm with Ellis or Bartley on the third pairing. I think the top 2 pairings will be stronger like this over moving Jones to the second pairing. Ekholm deserves to be a top 4 d-man but with Jones/Klein/Weber/Josi he is simply our 5th best right now.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
How has Forsberg looked?

Forsberg looks good. He is hard on the puck, dangles and hits. He's hasn't found the line chemistry of the Smith/Cullen/Bourque line.

He gives me the feeling that it is just finding the right linemates for him that is keeping him from constantly scoring.

We like him.:handclap:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Forsberg looks good. He is hard on the puck, dangles and hits. He's hasn't found the line chemistry of the Smith/Cullen/Bourque line.

He gives me the feeling that it is just finding the right linemates for him that is keeping him from constantly scoring.

We like him.:handclap:

Good to hear.

To me, before the NHL, he's been like Ovechkin, only without the shot, less physical - while being somewhat more defensively sound.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
19 JIM SLATER 6' 0" 200 9 DEC 1982 30 LAPEER, MI, USA
27 ERIC TANGRADI 6' 4" 221 10 FEB 1989 24 PHILADELPHIA, PA, USA
26 BLAKE WHEELER 6' 5" 205 31 AUG 1986 27 ROBBINSDALE, MN, USA
44 ZACH BOGOSIAN 6' 3" 215 15 JUL 1990 23 MASSENA, NY, USA
33 DUSTIN BYFUGLIEN 6' 5" 265 27 MAR 1985 28 MINNEAPOLIS, MN, USA
5 MARK STUART "A" 6' 2" 213 27 APR 1984 29 ROCHESTER, MN, USA
8 JACOB TROUBA ** 6' 2" 187 26 FEB 1994 19 ROCHESTER, MI, USA
35 AL MONTOYA 6' 2" 203 13 FEB 1985 28 CHICAGO, IL, USA

Name another team in the NHL with more USA players.....guessing you can't.
Silly post.
I can name a team with as many American players The Nashville Predators have 8
7 MATT CULLEN 6' 1" 200 NOV 2, 1976 36 VIRGINIA, MN, USA
28 PAUL GAUSTAD 6' 5" 223 FEB 3, 1982 31 FARGO, ND, USA
26 MATT HENDRICKS 6' 0" 211 JUN 17, 1981 32 BLAINE, MN, USA
11 DAVID LEGWAND 6' 2" 205 AUG 17, 1980 33 DETROIT, MI, USA
24 ERIC NYSTROM 6' 1" 193 FEB 14, 1983 30 SYOSSET, NY, USA
15 CRAIG SMITH 6' 1" 202 SEP 5, 1989 24 MADISON, WI, USA
33 COLIN WILSON 6' 1" 216 OCT 20, 1989 24 GREENWICH, CT,
3 SETH JONES 6' 4" 205 OCT 3, 1994 19 ARLINGTON, TX, USA
It was a silly post in hindsight since I have not watched a game from Winnipeg and did not know they randomly booed a opposing player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad