PGT: Game 9: Czech Republic 1 - Russia 2

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
No it wasn't, stop.
Just because they didn’t score doesn’t mean it wasn’t good.
There were “good moments”. Even 4th line was all over Swiss.
I think you should rewatch the game because there were a few positives despite a negative game that you have not recognized or acknowledged.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Just because they didn’t score doesn’t mean it wasn’t good.
There were “good moments”. Even 4th line was all over Swiss.
I think you should rewatch the game because there were a few positives despite a negative game that you have not recognized or acknowledged.
They might have locked Switzerland in their zone a couple times, but how many dangerous chances did they actually generate?
I hope we see a completely different Czech team tonight, because the perfomace against Switzerland was really something else (in a bad way.)

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
They might have locked Switzerland in their zone a couple times, but how many dangerous chances did they actually generate?
I hope we see a completely different Czech team tonight, because the perfomace against Switzerland was really something else (in a bad way.)

I don't think it was a bad game. There were needless turnovers allowed during the 3rd period, and couple of needless penalties as well. But there were also multiple positive sides of the game. At the end, we got 2 points from a really tough game, of course it could end either way, but the game was not a bad one at all. Russia plays a completely different system, so the whole character of the game will be different, the keys to it as well.

Last edited:

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I think Varada wants to give this lineup one more chance before he starts making changes. Fair enough, but it's a risky strategy as he hasn't got much time.

As for putting Zadina-Necas-Kaut on one line, it's great but what happens when they get shut down, what then? So I understand his logic of spreading the scoring, but it has to work with more support for guys like Zadina. Lineup changes will happen if we don't see improvement tonight...

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
[QUOTE = "BigBadBoar, post: 154203779, člen: 296351"] Proč vtip? Dostál byl docela dobrý proti švýcarům a bylo by spíše neobvyklé, kdyby se změnilo výherní sestava. Pokud se hra neprobíhá dobře, jistě to přijde. [/ QUOTE]
The joke is the composition of the attacks

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
They might have locked Switzerland in their zone a couple times, but how many dangerous chances did they actually generate?(
I hope we see a completely different Czech team tonight, because the perfomace against Switzerland was really something else

I think Varada wants to give this lineup one more chance before he starts making changes. Fair enough, but it's a risky strategy as he hasn't got much time.

As for putting Zadina-Necas-Kaut on one line, it's great but what happens when they get shut down, what then? So I understand his logic of spreading the scoring, but it has to work with more support for guys like Zadina. Lineup changes will happen if we don't see improvement tonight...

Yeah I also see why he’s doing it. Will be interesting to see how things go. Wish Pekar was on the 2nd line though.
Anyways Go Czechs Go.

Last edited by a moderator:

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
It looks like Varada coaches like he played: as a plug.

For the sake of the Czechs (for the medal round), I hope they get killed and he is forced to change and stop playing duds over better players.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
It looks like Varada coaches like he played: as a plug.

For the sake of the Czechs (for the medal round), I hope they get killed and he is forced to change and stop playing duds over better players.
Varada did a great job with this team in the U18s, his decisions in this WJC have been questionable however.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
Varada did a great job with this team in the U18s, his decisions in this WJC have been questionable however.

I haven't followed the U18s, but it's possible Varada is better at handling grinders than talent.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Just a thought; In the 1987 Canada Cup, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux were played on different lines... until the big games when it mattered. We know how that worked out. It’s possible that Varada is sitting on this move for now, trying to prevent teams from getting an early read on the line’s tendencies.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Czechs should really play Zadina - Necas - Kaut in one line. They would be dangerous every shift.

Looks like the plan has been to have Necas and Kaut together playing their high possession game, while Zadina is on his own line dangling and trying to produce.

He was a one man show on his line in their first game, while the top line with Necas and Kaut were more of a unit.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Just a thought; In the 1987 Canada Cup, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux were played on different lines... until the big games when it mattered. We know how that worked out. It’s possible that Varada is sitting on this move for now, trying to prevent teams from getting an early read on the line’s tendencies.
That’s a good point. But I would still throw him on a line with Lauko and Kondelik.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Alright... game time!

I consider Russia a very heavy favourite... I do think we are capable of an upset but if we win, it is an upset.

Hate the lineup, love the goalie and love the players... just not how they are arranged. I'd like to see us score more than one goal and am very curious to how much fun the Russian's have with our D. Could get ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad