GDT: Game 9 - CBJ at TML - 21 Oct, 7pm

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Well. Don't see that every day.

I was surprised that was called a penalty shot since Nyquist actually got the shot off. If you had asked me, I'd have rather had the power play. 5 on 4, no, but 4 on 3? Every day.

But hey... we win!!

Frankly, I'm surprised we didn't hear the "refs you suck" chant earlier.

The penalty shot was not called for the breakaway, the ref raised his arm for a 2 min penalty, probably the hook on the breakaway. While the penalty was delayed, Marner covered the puck in the crease with his glove. That is an automatic penalty shot.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Every time I hear Korpisalo speak I think he sounds like Goldmember. He sounds more Dutch than Finnish.

giphy.gif

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Cam puts net back on......not sure why the way he is playing

His Best play of the night :sarcasm:

I think that was an underrated good play by Cam. Andersen knocked it off on purpose to get a line change because his guys were exhausted. Then Cam puts the net back on to make sure they can't change. I've never seen an attacking player put the net back on like that, ever....

Reactions: Derby and Dumais

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I have to go to class tomorrow with a bunch of Leafs fans. Too bad there's a federal election tonight that everyone is going to want to talk about instead.

Wennberg was fantastic tonight. All three periods and OT. Korpisalo made some huge saves. I feel okay about this team right now.

I drove up to Ottawa to see cousins a few weeks back, such a charming city. Sorry to hear about the Leafs fans.

Reactions: The Wheelchair

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I understand he was absolute **** for two years, but can people now stop piling on Wennberg and acknowledge how well he’s playing?

I think this version of Wenny, so far, is better than he was in his "good season". Some of us didn't even like him in that 59 pt season. He was mostly piling up easy assists on the PP that year. I'm going to be really cautious about expecting too much from this scoring pace, but he's been a useful player in a lot of different ways.

Was that some form of wrap-around?

Wennberg's shot? I suppose you can think of it as wrapping around the goalies leg pad to hit the five hole.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
On the post-game show, they said they'd check this, but it's probably the first time in CBJ history that they had a game where they got goals by penalty shot, even strength, power play, and shorthanded situations.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The penalty shot was not called for the breakaway, the ref raised his arm for a 2 min penalty, probably the hook on the breakaway. While the penalty was delayed, Marner covered the puck in the crease with his glove. That is an automatic penalty shot.

A bit more complicated than that.

"The first official game sheet cited Marner for “coverage of puck in the crease.” Leafs coach Mike Babcock was told it was hooking, though, and a second sheet reflected that even though Marner did also appear to cover the puck with his glove in front of goalie Frederik Andersen."

I don't know how you have different versions of the game sheet. Maybe they were going to call two penalty shots. Can you get two in a row? :laugh:

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
He has been better than decent. 3-0-1 in his last 4 games with a 0.922 save %. 3 of those 4 games were against teams who were ahead of us in the Eastern Conference.
38th in the league.... SV%.. One can't pick and choose games or series of games... He's playing decent with a .905.. He's getting better every game...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad