Goal-Day Thread Game 9: Canucks @ Coyotes | 10/25/2018 7:00 p.m. PDT | FS-A

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Grabner is a good role player and part of our number 2 PK.
don't think the yotes had a great game but found a way to win which is what winning teams do.
Alex will find his way , he and Keller need to stop force feeding it to each other.
I hope they stay with our backup goalie. Darcy played very good again. couple of posts too!!
looking like Fischer and Keller are looking like our two best forwards this year so far. Nice to see Perlini coming on a bit too. Did Stepan even play last night? He was invisible. And Strome was just average. He gets knocked off the puck so easily. He always has such poor leverage he seems to poke at the puck too much. He's not that small but probably a bad habit from juniors.

jmichael7753

Sep 29, 2017
A sign of a good team? Winning a game that you play like crap for two periods. I honestly have a hard time going back to Raanta on Saturday with how well Kemps has played the last two games. Ride the hot hand.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Should put Strome on that line and let Galchenyuk just worry about getting into position to shoot.

I don't understand RT coaching this game. Cousins can play wing, Strome can't. Why isn't Strome C for that line?

I’m at the beginning of the 2nd. I cannot ****ing believe that Strome is on LW with Cousins at center and Richardson on the goddamned 3rd line. Rick Tocchet is very stupid. Hinostroza fed Richardson with a beautiful pass, with a wide open net and he shoots high and wife because he’s a zero talent fourth line player who is playing exactly as he should. Then Cousins, who is a winger, loses his faceoff clean in the offensive zone for the goal against, while his winger, who is the best faceoff man in the NHL watches helplessly. Are you ****ing kidding me? Get rid of these coaches. Call up Nelson. Call up Keefe. Let’s turn the page.
Questionable lines for sure this game. We all know Strome can't play wing. I thought that experiment was tried last year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Grabner is a good role player and part of our number 2 PK.
don't think the yotes had a great game but found a way to win which is what winning teams do.
Alex will find his way , he and Keller need to stop force feeding it to each other.
I hope they stay with our backup goalie. Darcy played very good again. couple of posts too!!
looking like Fischer and Keller are looking like our two best forwards this year so far. Nice to see Perlini coming on a bit too. Did Stepan even play last night? He was invisible. And Strome was just average. He gets knocked off the puck so easily. He always has such poor leverage he seems to poke at the puck too much. He's not that small but probably a bad habit from juniors.
Good post. First game after a long road trip is tough. When Perlini is skating his game is totally different. Love the way Crouse is playing.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pretty bad game if you consider all the awful mistakes the Canucks had to make to help the Coyotes win.
I had a feeling we would not be on top of our game. We got back Wednesday after a long road trip, and that first game at home always is tough. We found a way to win, so give the guys credit.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
A sign of a good team? Winning a game that you play like crap for two periods. I honestly have a hard time going back to Raanta on Saturday with how well Kemps has played the last two games. Ride the hot hand.

Absolutely go back to Raanta on Saturday. I'm not saying this because I don't like Kuemper. (I do like Kuemper.) I imagined the plan was Kuemper now with the expected "easy" game against Vancouver, and then Raanta with the hard game against Tampa. And this plan should not be changed. Need two goalies, some people were protesting when Kuemper was started up- and we had to tell them we need two goalies going, and some people protest when Raanta is brought back in. Same thing. Needs two goalies going with good confidence.

If something should be done, it's calling up a goalie to take the blame for the expected loss against Tampa, and not harm any of this two with it...:sarcasm:

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Ugly wins are hard to come by for this team. Took advantage of a tired Canuck team in the 3rd. Well done!!

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m glad we won. But damn, did you watch? It was like two pretty bad junior teams.
In case you have not noticed, the Canucks are in first place in the Pacific. They have been playing good hockey.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
In case you have not noticed, the Canucks are in first place in the Pacific. They have been playing good hockey.

I'd say they've been OK. They have 4 more points than the Yotes but have played two more games. Sharks should be shown in 1st place with 11 pts in only 9 games. Also have best goal diff. Coyotes 2nd best goal diff and trending in right direction. :nod: The Pacific is wide open. We could win it.

153y7p3.png

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd say they've been OK. They have 4 more points than the Yotes but have played two more games. Sharks should be shown in 1st place with 11 pts in only 9 games. Also have best goal diff. Coyotes 2nd best goal diff and trending in right direction. :nod: The Pacific is wide open. We could win it.

153y7p3.png
P% is the stat you’re looking for. That’s how standings should be determined in-season with a disparate number of games played. P% is percentage of possible points.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

153y7p3.png

Yeah, prefer the games-played adjusted tables.

Like on dropyourgloves.

NHL standings at the end of play on Friday, October 26, 2018

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We were slow both skating and passing tonight. That Keller Galchenyuk Crouse line just looks out of synch. I can see why Montreal preferred Galchenyuk at wing. I'd love to see him working more on getting in position to shoot and letting someone else carry the puck. I do like Crouse having Keller's back though. Whether you like fighting or not, teams have been taking shots at Keller since last season. It's not going to stop unless he gets more established as a star in the league or teams have to pay a price for messing with him.

I know I've said this before and made a thread about it but Strome is a completely different player when he plays with skilled wingers. I still think we're wasting his talent. He looks so deflated. You can see how he just drops he head and skates off frustrated after some shifts. Then he gets benched while Crouse was out and Cousins gets bumped to the first line. I just don't get it. Wish we had media that asked tough questions and pushed for real answers.
The Chucky line if forcing it. I would have started Chucky on the third line until the rust wore off. I don't think Strome is deflated, but you are right, he needs skilled players who can finish. Why he is on wing is a mystery to me. Crouse is playing very well.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
They were eye bleedinglyhungover fromnpartying their asses off in Vegas and they limped into town without their two best players. They had every reason to look bad. We had every reason o I’ve our act together. Well rested and looking down the barrel of a long homestand.
And we won 4-1, whats your point? Be happy:)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree. I think most comments on this board about how we didn't play well and should have beat the Canucks more easily are inaccurate. The Canucks being viewed as a bad team with players missing skewed many fans view of the game. The Canucks played hard and well and we didn't play bad either, and I thought our D was good again. They made a few more critical mistakes and we won. The Canucks play like that all year and they won't be last in the West.

Our GAA is best in the NHL right now, that will carry us if it continues. Kconn is playing great and won't be out of the line up when Chych is ready.

Reactions: Jakey53

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The way I see it is that b/c Galchenyuk hasn't had a lot of game time this year, we just want to find out if there is any chemistry with the "unexpected" players in the lineup. Hence, all of the movement of players up and down the lines, although, yes, there are some players who get moved around in such bad lineup decisions, it does make you wonder. It could have even been as simple as Strome lining up at LW b/c he was a better matchup against the opposition while playing a wing's responsibilities vs playing C. If Strome's footspeed against a specific C is a question mark, then it may make sense to have Cousins line up there and take draws to match up after the face-off. :dunno:

Can't say that we can always understand what is the idea in a coach's head without being in the middle of the team. I know when I coached at various levels, there may have been a reason why I wanted player X with player Y, although this was at a level where only in really good matchups did I feel forced to adjust lines and roles for certain players. Just have to trust that there is a reason.

I am also venmo'ing my buddy $40 today. He is heading up to Vegas, and I will have him put that $ on the Yotes to win the division. Can't imagine that the odds are any better (or worse) than what had originally listed at the beginning of the year. But the Pacific is truly a wide-open race this year, and outside of the PP and maybe some defensive lapses here and there, there isn't much not to like about this team.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't understand RT coaching this game. Cousins can play wing, Strome can't. Why isn't Strome C for that line?

Questionable lines for sure this game. We all know Strome can't play wing. I thought that experiment was tried last year.
Strome was on wing because Tocc is protecting him on D but still wants him on the ice for offence.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome was on wing because Tocc is protecting him on D but still wants him on the ice for offence.
Strome is fine on D most nights. He won't produce on the fourth line wing, especially with snipers Archibald and Cousins. Also, I understand scratching Panik to send a message to him and the rest of the vets, but I would bring back Panik and scratch Archibald on that line.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I loved the physicality from Crouse, the team seemed to feed off of it too. Kuemper looked good again, great to see him turn it around. Keller running into that dman's elbow with his face is one of the most bizarre things I've seen in a long time, especially from a player as generally smart and aware as Keller.

Idk if anyone said anything about this but after the 2nd OEL was talking to Gudbranson because he thought it might have been on purpose... and then in the 3rd Keller went up to him and probably said something like "my bad". Weird play haha!

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Thursday night game. Heavy rush hour traffic. I got caught in it from about the Broadway curve almost to the 202

Yea, took us over an hour to get there from like 202 and Priest. Showed up late... but better than never. Glad to FINALLY see them win a game in person. Last one I saw was after we were rear ended on the way to the game last December. So, it's nice to see the goals, a win, and NOT have any issues haha.

I thought crowd wasn't particularly small or large. Not bad... people around us seemed pretty involved too. I've been there in the dark times when it was like 5,000 (at max) people against like St. Louis back in the day so... that's always going to stand out as the worst for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->