GDT: Game 9 | Calgary Flames @ Detroit Red Wings | 7:30 PM EST | FS-D (HD)

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
I want to know why our defense is getting beat up the middle on breakaway passes so often.
MOD
i would take hockey iq into consideration. and in this department detroit has a real weak defense corps.
but this is not new. we never replaced skill and hockey iq after rafalskis leave.
last player we added to this department was chelios i guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdd

Feb 7, 2010
And the worst part. Management doesn't do anything to change it, and haven't for several years now.

It's plain flat EMBARASSING.

They changed it by deciding that despite adding Brunner (who Babcock wanted in his top-six) that keeping Hudler (who wanted to stay for basically the same deal as Calgary gave him) was a bad idea, because it was more important to give that ice time and cap space to Cleary, Eaves, Bertuzzi, and Miller. That decision meant two scoring lines, two checking lines instead of three scoring lines, one checking line.

I'm still surprised.
I think it was Kronwall and Ericsson busted yesterday.

Ericsson did have a nice recovery and block near the end (although it didn't really matter at that point) on Hudler, after Hudler hit him in the corner and strolled away with the puck.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
You are wrong if you think that Helm won't instantly impact the game. He is a top third line center in the league because of his speed and ability to create scoring chances. He is hard for teams to handle.

I think his speed and puck pursuit is definitely helpful, but if people are waiting for him to come back into the line up to all of a sudden make our bottom 6 extremely productive, they will be sorely disappointed. Helm and Sammy won't all of sudden make them the most productive bottom 6 in the league, or even close to it. They will help for sure - anything is better than having Abby as 3C - but I am not fooled into thinking all of our secondary scoring woes will be solved once they slot back into the line up.

Aug 6, 2012
Helm may not be great offensively but he's good enough for a third line center. When he's back we'll at least have average production from the bottom-six. And we all know Helm brings a lot more to the table than just offense.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think Kronwall has been nearly as bad as people are proclaiming. The guy is a turnover machine, no doubt. I just think he's getting heat because he's not in the perfect place at the perfect time... Are there better #1 dmen out there? Of course, but Kronwall is definitely a worthy #1. I just wish we still had "pre-2012" Stuart to be paired with him.

We really need another borderline #1/#2 defenseman.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think Kronwall has been nearly as bad as people are proclaiming. The guy is a turnover machine, no doubt. I just think he's getting heat because he's not in the perfect place at the perfect time... Are there better #1 dmen out there? Of course, but Kronwall is definitely a worthy #1. I just wish we still had "pre-2012" Stuart to be paired with him.

This coming from a guy named Kronwalled lol

Aug 6, 2012

I don't think he's been very good at all TBH. I just don't think he's good enough to be a #1 defenseman other than the days he plays very well. He's a perfect 2nd pairing guy who shows flashes of more IMO.

This coming from a guy named Kronwalled lol

Great insight.

RedWingsNow*

Kronwalled 55 says:
Maybe I'm biased, but Kronwall ... don't even finish the sentence dude

RedWingsNow*

Helm may not be great offensively but he's good enough for a third line center. When he's back we'll at least have average production from the bottom-six. And we all know Helm brings a lot more to the table than just offense.

Helm is less that "not great" offensively. He's not good.

Worse, he's not good in the kind of way the can tough on our defense. Unlike the D and Z lines, he doesn't often keep lines penned in their own end.

Defensively -- he's still learning

What Helm does provide .. and this is important -- is speed and intensity. Though I still kind of like the days when Helm was a winger and he finished every check.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

I think his spot is 2nd pair puck mover. With increased responsibility he has floundered so far. I hope he can turn the corner, but it seems like he has been lost most of the season so far. Though, as you said, if he had a better partner he may look like a fine #2.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009
I don't think he's been very good at all TBH. I just don't think he's good enough to be a #1 defenseman other than the days he plays very well. He's a perfect 2nd pairing guy who shows flashes of more IMO.

Great insight.

Sorry captain I'm at work I didn't have time for an insightful post..

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
Kronwall is a fringe top pairing guy. He's near elite for the 2nd pairing on a stacked defensive group. He's alright for the top pair with the right partner. He's below average as a #1 and his hands are tied with a lack of support.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad