GDT: Game 81: Sharks @ Oilers 6:30pm NBCSCA

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I feel for Cooley. He had like maybe a chance on two of those goals. Now that the tank is secure I was hoping to see a little life from the younger players. No dice here.

I’m incrementally more of favor of making some signings and periphery moves to bolster the team for next season.
He’s not a NHL goaltender, the only goals he had not legitimate chance on were the redirects and even some of those were stoppable. He was constantly behind the play and instead of taking away the net he just would sprawl, it’s been a good story but he’s an ECHL or a goalie in Europe even then he’s still fighting to be a starter

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
He’s not a NHL goaltender, the only goals he had not legitimate chance on were the redirects and even some of those were stoppable. He was constantly behind the play and instead of taking away the net he just would sprawl, it’s been a good story but he’s an ECHL or a goalie in Europe even then he’s still fighting to be a starter

I’m sorry but I hard disagree that he had a chance on most of the goals. Like half were cross-crease tap ins. Here’s the recap

- McDavid banks it of Vlasic’s skate (no chance)
- Kulak point shot to the short side, off of Vlasic, and right to Henrique’s stick in the slot (no chance)
- Foegele wrister on a two on one break (coulda had this one)
- Wide open Holloway one-timer/redirect from low slot (gets through his five hole; I’m ecstatic if my goalie makes this save, and understanding if he doesn’t)
- Completely uncovered Foegele bangs in a rebound (Cooley definitely could have been more composed here; but like what’s the point of rostering defensemen if they’re just gonna let the opposition hang out uncovered 1:1 with the goalie)
- Tic tac toe to an uncovered Perry for a tap in (not much any goalie is gonna do here)
- Ceci tap-in/redirects a cross crease pass (pretty happy with a goalie if they stop this, understanding if they don’t. At least there’s a defender in frame this time)
- Bouchard finishes the three on one cross-crease tap in (no chance)

I’m not gonna sit here and say Cooley is some world beater, or anything more than a AHL lifer. But you drop any goalie in the league into that game for the Sharks and the final score isn’t gonna be all that different.

Last edited:

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I’m sorry but I hard disagree that he had a chance on most of the goals. Like half were cross-crease tap ins. Here’s the recap

- McDavid banks it of Vlasic’s skate (no chance)
- Kulak point shot to the short side, off of Vlasic, and right to Henrique’s stick in the slot (no chance)
- Foegele wrister on a two on one break (coulda had this one)
- Wide open Holloway one-timer/redirect from low slot (gets through his five hole; I’m ecstatic if my goalie makes this save, and understanding if he doesn’t)
- Completely uncovered Foegele bangs in a rebound (Cooley definitely could have been more composed here; but like what’s the point of rostering defensemen if they’re just gonna let the opposition hang out uncovered 1:1 with the goalie)
- Tic tac toe to an uncovered Perry for a tap in (not much any goalie is gonna do here)
- Ceci tap-in/redirects a cross crease pass (pretty happy with a goalie if they stop this, understanding if they don’t. At least there’s a defender in frame this time)
- Bouchard finishes the three on one cross-crease tap in (no chance)

I’m not gonna sit here and say Cooley is some world beater, or anything more than a AHL lifer. But you drop any goalie in the league into that game for the Sharks and the final score isn’t gonna be all that different.
the score would’ve been cut in half at a minimum with a competent NHL goalie and by no means am I saying the team was playing like 90’s devils trapping teams defense but had he stayed with the play and tracked the puck those “tap ins” aren’t happening because he’d be square to the shot, instead he’d square up on the player and set, then would react after the pass was made which is why he is constantly going into big lateral pushes and the splits because he’s behind the play and is forced to make big explosive movements to try and “catch up” let’s be honest that 5 hole goal was absolutely atrocious. Some of those redirects nobody was stopping but the majority of them not tracking the puck and falling behind the play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad