Post-Game Talk: GAME #81: Canucks 2 @ Predators 3

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Canucks basically blitzed in the third period.....Brogan Rafferty was trying, but he might have trouble nailing down a spot in Utica next season. And what's the deal pairing him with Hutton? A stealth tank by Green?

The hard reality is that neither Hutton or Stecher are anywhere near being legitimate top-four d-men. They're depth guys at best and I'm just not sure that either guy can figure into the long-term planning. You love Stecher's compete level, but just too small and too many limp-wristed clearances.

And another disappearing act by the so-called veteran leaders. Eriksson, Beagle and Edler had poor nights; and if the Canucks can't find a winger upgrade for Tim Schaller, then they aren't going to be any better next season.

And somebody tell me again why Quinn Hughes isn't on the first unit pp?

You can't lump in Edler with Beagle and Eriksson.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The hard reality is that neither Hutton or Stecher are anywhere near being legitimate top-four d-men. They're depth guys at best and I'm just not sure that either guy can figure into the long-term planning. You love Stecher's compete level, but just too small and too many limp-wristed clearances.

I don't agree with this at all.
They've been low end top4 players for two years now.

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
On the night Nashville deserved the win and Canucks really don't need the points at all so ending not really that painful.

Good

Hutton - liked his game. Played with control and no wasted effort or taking the extra dangle or step. Real change from how he tried to force the play so much last year and at times this year. That's the maturity he needs to reduce those bad plus/minus numbers. Be simple and take what is there.

Edler - some tough breaks in this game but another solid effort. Canucks have little choice but to give Edler a lot of what he wants to retain him for next year. Hopefully its 3 year in 6 mill range.

Horvat - his line with Eriksson and Pearson again was effective. This line has been dangerous down the last stretch. Pearson now seems a very good pick up. This line might also provide a spot for Eriksson to contribute and become something of positive next year. Eriksson will never deserve his contract but could at least not be a complete waste to the team if this line can be decent moving ahead.

Markstrom - just about stole another one. Right now I think a lot of teams would like to have Markstrom heading into the playoffs. I wonder if he plays for Sweden in the World championships?

Schenn - there has been no tail off in his play. Again a real complement to some of the younger d-men

Levio - good along the boards and came up with loose pucks all game.

Boeser - not much of presence early but started making some excellent plays as the game went on. Unlucky not to score.

Others

Hughes - some good, some bad. Looks like he should be the PP QB by next year - he does see the ice well (and probably makes Jolevi redundant in this area). No doubt he has very high level talent. However, needs to make sure he doesn't expose himself to wide open hits.

Rafferty - in over his head for much of the game. Looks like a stay at home defenseman.

Virtanen - nothing dynamic about his game. Not sure how much his head is still in it.

Spooner - shows excellent speed at times and his puck movement isn't bad. Just can't seem to produce.

Hard to see Nashville going far unless they can get more out of Johansen and Turris. Really they are not that strong down the middle.

Agree. Granlund has been a bad pickup as well. He's not producing at all with Turris centering him.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I forgot to congratulate Hughes on tying Markstrom with 3 assists on the year.

Those 3 assists also happen to be one more than Sutter has.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Might want to rein yourself in a bit there man, Markstrom has been playing exceptionally over a sustained period of time this year and Demko has played well for 2 games. Maybe getting a little ahead of yourself...

To me Marky has looked leaky his last few games. One or two bad goals has returned to his play, which was his problem before.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Neither Rafferty nor Teves look like any sort of real prospect. Marginal AHL filler.

Would much rather have the team spend contact slots on 20 y/o overage CHL players (ie Sautner and McEwen) or undrafted Europeans rather than these sort of old 3rd rate ‘prospects’.

Rafferty at least has a pro frame but clunky skating and seemed overwhelmed by the pace.

True, but both those guys can actually make a pass. Hutton and Biega cannot pass the puck while under pressure in their own zone.
I think we are trying to find D men that can pass the puck.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
True, but both those guys can actually make a pass. Hutton and Biega cannot pass the puck while under pressure in their own zone.
I think we are trying to find D men that can pass the puck.

Call me a cynic but I think they are just trying to sign d-men so they can spend the off season and first half of next year talking about how they are solving the defensive depth issue. How they have players X, Y and Z that are developing and its sooooo exciting!

Then the back half of the year comes around and everyone starts to realize that they project to be mediocre at best AHL players and you still have no organizational depth.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Call me a cynic but I think they are just trying to sign d-men so they can spend the off season and first half of next year talking about how they are solving the defensive depth issue. How they have players X, Y and Z that are developing and its sooooo exciting!

Then the back half of the year comes around and everyone starts to realize that they project to be mediocre at best AHL players and you still have no organizational depth.

Again, I totally agree. I don’t see 24 year old rookies as having a very high ceiling. There were reasons why these guys weren’t drafted.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I didn't realize Tanner Pearson plays a good power forward game. Very happy that we got a 15-20 goal scorer for Gudbranson.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I don't think I've ever seen a team that basically collapses in its own zone like the Canucks. They're either worn down by endless cycling on the forecheck, or they just desperately hoist the puck out into the neutral zone to relieve the pressure. There are some games like last night, where their zone possession numbers have to be off-the-charts bad.

It really makes you appreciate Quinn Hughes. The guy just has a subtle way of buying himself some time and hitting the open man for a breakout. Unfortunately he's an oasis in a desert out there. Neither Stecher or Hutton have the skill and physicality to be anything more than depth d-men, no matter how hard they try and how much improvement they've shown. And if they try to make them top-four guys next year, they'll get the same results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad