Post-Game Talk: GAME #81: Canucks 2 @ Predators 3

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Quinn's dad: "We'll see how this all plays out"...

That's the kind of thing you say when you're thinking about whether or not you're going to stick with a team or sign elsewhere. I hope that's not what his family is thinking for him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
A
For the best really... but still ugly watching them lose in that fashion.

A proper rebuild is supposed to be painful. Yes it hurts to watch our guys try so hard and still lose. That’s part of s good rebuild though. We give it our all, but still lose. Hard to watch, but that’s the necessary pain to get the higher pick.

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
Not sure what game you were watching. Canucks were the far better team in the first , Preds dominated the 2nd and the third was even. Vancouver had loads of chances in the third.

Game was probably 60-40 Preds

Third was even! Goodness gracious, my friend. Goodness.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

That's the kind of thing you say when you're thinking about whether or not you're going to stick with a team or sign elsewhere. I hope that's not what his family is thinking for him.

Let's entertain this ridiculous interpretation for a second. He's signed for 3 years, then is an RFA which means be will likely sign another contract. He's going to be a Canuck for at least 5-6 years.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013

Wait what? Hughes just signed a 3 year ELC...

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Don’t think there’s anything like that going on.

This is a team with a bunch of young talent around Quinn’s age, he is in a position to be the #1 defenceman on this team by the end of his ELC.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver

That's what you say when you don't want to put unneeded pressure on your son in his very first NHL game when he's already clearly got the weight of the world on his young shoulders. That's how I "read" that comment, anyway.

Reactions: Paulinvancouver

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks basically blitzed in the third period.....Brogan Rafferty was trying, but he might have trouble nailing down a spot in Utica next season. And what's the deal pairing him with Hutton? A stealth tank by Green?

The hard reality is that neither Hutton or Stecher are anywhere near being legitimate top-four d-men. They're depth guys at best and I'm just not sure that either guy can figure into the long-term planning. You love Stecher's compete level, but just too small and too many limp-wristed clearances.

And another disappearing act by the so-called veteran leaders. Eriksson, Beagle and Edler had poor nights; and if the Canucks can't find a winger upgrade for Tim Schaller, then they aren't going to be any better next season.

And somebody tell me again why Quinn Hughes isn't on the first unit pp?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Pearson has been pretty great since the trade.

Scoring at his old consistent rate and has good chemistry with Horvat. I’d like to see them as a full time 1-2 punch on the 2nd line going forward. Supplement them with someone like Baertschi.

Imagine if we somehow landed Panarin in the offseason.

Panarin-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-Pearson
Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen
Roussel-Granlund-MacEwen

That top 6 is playoff caliber for sure. Not too sure who plays what side though lol

Trade Goldobin for whatever we can get.

Reactions: mriswith

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
Canucks basically blitzed in the third period.....Brogan Rafferty was trying, but he might have trouble nailing down a spot in Utica next season. And what's the deal pairing him with Hutton? A stealth tank by Green?

The hard reality is that neither Hutton or Stecher are anywhere near being legitimate top-four d-men. They're depth guys at best and I'm just not sure that either guy can figure into the long-term planning. You love Stecher's compete level, but just too small and too many limp-wristed clearances.

And another disappearing act by the so-called veteran leaders. Eriksson, Beagle and Edler had poor nights; and if the Canucks can't find a winger upgrade for Tim Schaller, then they aren't going to be any better next season.

And somebody tell me again why Quinn Hughes isn't on the first unit pp?

travis-green-in-2006_1n6apluv530dq14mza8krmk4i4.jpg

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
  • I would have laughed and laughed had that Boeser shot gone in... lol

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Neither Rafferty nor Teves look like any sort of real prospect. Marginal AHL filler.

Would much rather have the team spend contact slots on 20 y/o overage CHL players (ie Sautner and McEwen) or undrafted Europeans rather than these sort of old 3rd rate ‘prospects’.

Rafferty at least has a pro frame but clunky skating and seemed overwhelmed by the pace.

Reactions: Luckylarry

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
On the night Nashville deserved the win and Canucks really don't need the points at all so ending not really that painful.

Good

Hutton - liked his game. Played with control and no wasted effort or taking the extra dangle or step. Real change from how he tried to force the play so much last year and at times this year. That's the maturity he needs to reduce those bad plus/minus numbers. Be simple and take what is there.

Edler - some tough breaks in this game but another solid effort. Canucks have little choice but to give Edler a lot of what he wants to retain him for next year. Hopefully its 3 year in 6 mill range.

Horvat - his line with Eriksson and Pearson again was effective. This line has been dangerous down the last stretch. Pearson now seems a very good pick up. This line might also provide a spot for Eriksson to contribute and become something of positive next year. Eriksson will never deserve his contract but could at least not be a complete waste to the team if this line can be decent moving ahead.

Markstrom - just about stole another one. Right now I think a lot of teams would like to have Markstrom heading into the playoffs. I wonder if he plays for Sweden in the World championships?

Schenn - there has been no tail off in his play. Again a real complement to some of the younger d-men

Levio - good along the boards and came up with loose pucks all game.

Boeser - not much of presence early but started making some excellent plays as the game went on. Unlucky not to score.

Others

Hughes - some good, some bad. Looks like he should be the PP QB by next year - he does see the ice well (and probably makes Jolevi redundant in this area). No doubt he has very high level talent. However, needs to make sure he doesn't expose himself to wide open hits.

Rafferty - in over his head for much of the game. Looks like a stay at home defenseman.

Virtanen - nothing dynamic about his game. Not sure how much his head is still in it.

Spooner - shows excellent speed at times and his puck movement isn't bad. Just can't seem to produce.

Hard to see Nashville going far unless they can get more out of Johansen and Turris. Really they are not that strong down the middle.

Reactions: Hammer79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad