GDT: Game 80: Coyotes @ Calgary Death Stares - 6PM - FSAZ+

Stick smash vs death stare

• Total voters

culex

Oct 23, 2016
Happened to be in town to watch the game! (And sorry, formatting kinda sucks):
  • Not too many Yotes fans, but they were there. What I thought was really sweet was how there were many little kids rooting for Domi (whether with jerseys, signs, etc.) There were a couple diabetes related signs and it was awfully touching...just knowing that the kids have someone to look up to someone who is very vocal about their condition. There was also a family of Martinook jerseys (seriously, four of them). I wonder if they were actually family or just huge fans because an older gentleman with them was recording with a video camera lol. And there was even a little kids (Flames jersey) with a sign rooting for "Brendan, #11!"

• OEL is really good looking. Just sayin'

• After Chychrun fell went into the boards, Raanta immediately went to him to make sure he was okay. Gave him a lot of butt taps. Good for him. Hope Chychrun is okay, though.

• Yotes defended pretty well in front of the net. Despite letting up 42 SOG, I didn't think they were very high danger/high percentage types of shots. In fact, I was pretty surprised to see the number punch up to 42 because it felt like Flames got half of that. I think it speaks to their shot quality but also, it seemed like the Yotes were able to clear areas in front of the net pretty well/prevent scrums or second chances in front of Raanta. They were there to intersect what would have been great plays, push the Flames to the outside or just completely out of the zone. And trust me - as someone who follows the Rangers I know what it's like to be pummeled to death by a shit load of shots. Credit to Raanta, too. I wonder if the new contract gave him a bit of confidence/relief :) -- well deserved for sure, though.

• Overall, it was really fun to see the team play. I don't get to watch the Yotes much given time zones, but when I saw them come to MSG and play...honestly night and day since then. Despite having a terrible start/being at the bottom for a long time, I think it speaks a lot about the team to be able to pull off the record you guys have had since January or so, than just completely fold, keel over and die. This contrasted by the Flames who were in the mix for a Playoff spot, but just look absolutely defeated. Good for you guys. I'm genuinely excited to see where you guys go next year; hopefully that being forward and up!

Dirty Old Man

Anti-chatter Engine
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
The WCF run had shot totals like that in damn near every game. Shots don’t equal performance, they inform performance. They’re a metric not a narrative.

Yup. Hard to believe there were days when we'd go up 2-1, and know it was all but over. It's hard to quantify but it's felt like that some lately.

EDIT: forgot this but looked it up. in 2011-12 our record when leading after 2 was 33-1-0. Wow, huh?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The Flames had a good amount of low quality shots. They had the puck a lot as the game went on but didn't do much with it. And when they did they either missed the net or Raanta stopped it.

Chances were 22-27 and high danger were 5-6 @ 5 on 5.
Calgary had much better opportunities than we did on the PP cause our PP is garbage. Raanta stopped them.

Once the Flames were down 3-0 it was the NHL equivalent of garbage time. Shots were even up to that point.

Reactions: _Del_ and rt

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The WCF run had shot totals like that in damn near every game. Shots don’t equal performance, they inform performance. They’re a metric not a narrative.
Tip style win last night for sure, but when your outshot 2-1, that had the puck most of the game. Glad we won, but it wasn't like other victories where we outplayed our opponent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->