GDT: Game 8: Czech Repulic Vs Germany | 9AM EST 3PM CET | GER 4 - 3 CZE

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
It was a close game just as expected, German PP's were simply more effective than the Czech ones. This group gonna be interesting between CZE, GER, RUS.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
In all seriousness, I think the critical difference in terms of philosophy is that, when they aren't sure about something, IIHF refs err on the side of calling something whereas NHL refs err on the side of not calling something.

Personally I know which approach I prefer.

That's fair. I prefer more calls than less as a player, but yeah as a fan it might slow the game down too much, I get that. But instead of blaming the refs, I blame the players for not adapting to the reffing style.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The amazing thing was the pace for the game especially in the third period was very non-German. They opened it up and could skate and create. It reminds me of how the Swiss have come on in that regard. It would be great if another nation rises because we all get the benefit of seeing great hockey and better players.
I felt like these 2 teams could've had a classic.. instead, we got this slow motion car crash of a game. To my eye, the German's were the better skaters.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well bookmakers gave 6 to 1 chance for Germany or something like that...

Regarding out other discussion, Gavrikov and Lyubushkin could be added to the list. But surely, that number is never going to be high, AHL is the proofing grounds and the place to adjust, teams will only throw the player straight from Europe into the NHL if they are absolutely sure or they have no other choice. In both cases, that's a rare occurrence.
Which is usually forwards.. eg. Kubalik (I know, another Czech example.lol).

No idea why bookmakers had it 6 to 1... German's looked awesome against US and have more first rounders and the better D. Not shocked they won a 1 goal game today. Take out the reffing and they probably get an empty netter and win 5-1

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Traditionally, the Czechs are a hockey power and Germany isn't.

That's really what they mean.

People following the tournament closely aren't particularly surprised, even as the Czechs beat the Russians.
The Czechs "WERE" a hockey power. They have been mediocre for 15+ years especially at the U20.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Bokk was better, but Seider is vital to that defense.

Are those the ones picked by the team's coaches? If so, I would have given it to Schütz with a litte wink and a nod to the refs.

But seriously, I was oddly calm most of the game. The only time I got really nervous was when Seider was in the box.

Reactions: Realgud

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Dammit. Just remembered I was thinking 4-3 Germany before this game started but I woke up too late to actually post it. I guess you don't get bragging rights if you have no proof :laugh:

Sounds made up, sorry boss. Although a great story for the childrens children.

Reactions: Kleefeld

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I felt like these 2 teams could've had a classic.. instead, we got this slow motion car crash of a game. To my eye, the German's were the better skaters.

The officiating was pretty bad. These stripes looked NHL quality, it was on-brand for them.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
No kidding.. I've posted the refs names throughout. They have no incentive to gift the Czechs a win or to be against Germans. They just suck at their jobs.
They were certainly subpar today, And as I said before I am not one to usually complain much about reffing. But these guys surely had an off day at the very least.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The Czechs "WERE" a hockey power. They have been mediocre for 15+ years especially at the U20.

It takes awhile for a reputation to build and then it takes awhile for it to recede.

The average hockey fan only pays attention to international hockey on an infrequent basis.

The narrative will be how the plucky underdog Germans upset the hometown traditional hockey power Czech team.

I agree that it's a false narrative, and anyone who watched the Germany-USA game would understand that even further.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm not saying all calls were good though ;)

The more calls you make, the more chances there are of making bad calls.

I get that failing to call a clear penalty can be interpreted as just as bad as calling a bad penalty, but it just doesn't seem that way to me.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
The more calls you make, the more chances there are of making bad calls.

I get that failing to call a clear penalty can be interpreted as just as bad as calling a bad penalty, but it just doesn't seem that way to me.

Yeah, I get you. Your points are more than fair, it's just a difference in opinion. As an ex player/ref, I prefer when penalties are called more than not because it allows the game to remain under control and not escalate too much in emotion (where cheap shots start to emerge). But I know that as a fan it's much more exciting when games flow without stoppage and also when there are more emotions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->