GDT: Game 8 - CBJ vs NYI - 19 Oct, 7pm, @Nat

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If you listen to the interview , Pld blew his coverage , and torts alluded he was cheating to get out of the zone

I just saw it, I agree that he called out PLD for the coverage but I think the cheating is at Cam, who wasn’t even in the zone when the goal is scored.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Didn't the jackets start off Last year in similar fashion? With Panarin? I'm feeling fine so far. Could be better, could be worse.

Jackets thru 8 games last year:

4-4-0
8 points
3.00 GF/G
3.75 GA/G
-6 goal differential

Jackets thru 8 games this year:

3-3-2
8 points
2.25 GF/G
3.25 GA/G
-8 goal differential

Reactions: Viqsi and Monk

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

4-4-0
8 points
3.00 GF/G
3.75 GA/G
-6 goal differential

3-3-2
8 points
2.25 GF/G
3.25 GA/G
-8 goal differential

Difference being last year we had Panarin to help improve.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC

4-4-0
8 points
3.00 GF/G
3.75 GA/G
-6 goal differential

3-3-2
8 points
2.25 GF/G
3.25 GA/G
-8 goal differential
The Jackets have won three out of eight games. An interesting stat I read shows the Jackets are 3-0-0 when they score three or more goals, but a cringe worthy 0-3-2 when they score two or fewer. Granted, it's a small sample size and I'm not clairvoyant so I can't predict the future, but with eight points after eight games, it shows we may be a point a game team and that might be our destiny this year.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
The Jackets have won three out of eight games. An interesting stat I read shows the Jackets are 3-0-0 when they score three or more goals, but a cringe worthy 0-3-2 when they score two or fewer. Granted, it's a small sample size and I'm not clairvoyant so I can't predict the future, but with eight points after eight games, it shows we may be a point a game team and that might be our destiny this year.
Small sample size this year? Yes. But as I posted earlier, last season they were 40-4-1 (per FSO) last year when scoring 3 or more goals.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Difference being last year we had Panarin to help improve.

Yeah, but he was on the team the first 8 games last year, too.

However, we were missing Seth Jones at the beginning of last season. He missed the first 5-10 games, don’t remember exactly how many. So we’re not going to get that added bump this year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not as a reaction to tonight but to all last season and this one....Zach is our second best offensive defensemen (some may argue our best.) But tops he’s our 5th best defensive DMan.....heresy I know.

Not exactly heretical.

I'm a bit disappointed in Zach's D play. He showed last Spring that he can step up his D play when it really matters. It doesn't appear that he's motivated to play that cleanly in October.

I don't want to exaggerate the issue either. It's just two or three mistakes per game that I don't think he makes if he's on his game. His play otherwise is sterling. He's a big rangy guy with a great stick, that's not easy to play against. Last night the Isles only had 14 shot attempts at evens play when Zach was out there (in 23+ minutes). That's really low. But on the Barzal goal and in OT, two of his mistakes were enough to cost the game. In particular, in OT he took a lazy route around the net.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
When the roster lacks an O'Reilly, Peron and Tarasenko and a goalie with a 1.89 gaa and .927 percentage, it ain't gonna happen.

I remember when you were saying the Jackets would never win a championship without a true 1st overall superstar, that Panarin wasn't going to cut it. Now you're saying we need David Perron. :laugh: He was $4m per on the UFA market.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If you listen to the interview , Pld blew his coverage , and torts alluded he was cheating to get out of the zone

I didn't hear the interview, but the guy cheating to get out of the zone was Atkinson. And Zach took a lazy route around the net. PLD was the only one in position on the goal.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I remember when you were saying the Jackets would never win a championship without a true 1st overall superstar, that Panarin wasn't going to cut it. Now you're saying we need David Perron. :laugh: He was $4m per on the UFA market.
Ever hear of context?

It was in reference to the "look where the Blues were last year and what happened with them". Perron is a very solid .8 ppg player over the past two seasons. The players I mentioned on the Blues other than him don't exist on the CBJ.

The CBJ are not the 2019-20 version of the St. Louis Blues.

Reactions: EspenK

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
In particular, in OT he took a lazy route around the net.

What's worse is that he actually was the 1 who (lazily) got to the rebound, and instead of knocking a bouncing puck out of the danger area/into the corner, he tries to control the puck it right there by the net, which gets easily poked away from him, he THEN leaves that side of the net/ice and leaves the guys that poked the puck away from him to go around the net to make it over to a guy that already has another CBJ forcing him to make a play much quicker than Werenski.

People joked and talked shit about it all the time, but how many times did we actually win games quite soon after our overpaid designated faceoff man would win a faceoff in OT? The initial possession in OT and in man advantage situations CAN BE very important. A won or lost faceoff to start a PP or PK literally affects AT LEAST 25% of the penalty.

Interesting how people still make "bubble" comments and talk about how the team only will or has made the playoffs by a few points, but then completely downplay certain aspects of certain players that have essentially individually/directly affected gaining these points for the team.

#BringBackDubi
#BringBackBoomer

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What's worse is that he actually was the 1 who (lazily) got to the rebound, and instead of knocking a bouncing puck out of the danger area/into the corner, he tries to control the puck it right there by the net, which gets easily poked away from him, he THEN leaves that side of the net/ice and leaves the guys that poked the puck away from him to go around the net to make it over to a guy that already has another CBJ forcing him to make a play much quicker than Werenski.

People joked and talked **** about it all the time, but how many times did we actually win games quite soon after our overpaid designated faceoff man would win a faceoff in OT? The initial possession in OT and in man advantage situations CAN BE very important. A won or lost faceoff to start a PP or PK literally affects AT LEAST 25% of the penalty.

Interesting how people still make "bubble" comments and talk about how the team only will or has made the playoffs by a few points, but then completely downplay certain aspects of certain players that have essentially individually/directly affected gaining these points for the team.

#BringBackDubi
#BringBackBoomer

With you on Boomer, but your faceoff argument for Dubi is not doing it for me. We don't even get to the point of arguing over whether Dubi's faceoff prowess makes up for his other deficiencies, because we have other faceoff aces now. Jenner is at 60%! Wennberg is at 56.6! If there's an issue with putting Dubois out at the start of OT, it's that one of Jenner or Wennberg should have been out there.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's worth asking about what our 3 v 3 lineup should look like.

I think because the opening faceoff is so important you've got to start Wennberg there. Even if the coach would prefer to match him with Barzal or some other tricky offensive player, you've got to go Wennberg first. He's 56.6% so far in the draws, a full 11 percentage points better than Dubois.

Then I'd also ask if Dubois-Atkinson is actually a good unit in the first place. Neither of those guys can maintain possession for long enough. It just seems like an awful combo for 3 v 3. Nyquist can control the puck. And funny enough he's 4 for 8 on draws so far.

Wennberg - Bjorkstrand/Atkinson
Jones

Dubois - Nyquist
Werenski

Foligno/Texier/Anderson/Bjorkstrand/Atkinson
Nutivaara

Something like that. I couldn't make up my mind for the last set of forwards but I expect it will determined by whoever is playing the best in that game.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It's worth asking about what our 3 v 3 lineup should look like.

I think because the opening faceoff is so important you've got to start Wennberg there. Even if the coach would prefer to match him with Barzal or some other tricky offensive player, you've got to go Wennberg first. He's 56.6% so far in the draws, a full 11 percentage points better than Dubois.

Then I'd also ask if Dubois-Atkinson is actually a good unit in the first place. Neither of those guys can maintain possession for long enough. It just seems like an awful combo for 3 v 3. Nyquist can control the puck. And funny enough he's 4 for 8 on draws so far.

Wennberg - Bjorkstrand/Atkinson
Jones

Dubois - Nyquist
Werenski

Foligno/Texier/Anderson/Bjorkstrand/Atkinson
Nutivaara

Something like that. I couldn't make up my mind for the last set of forwards but I expect it will determined by whoever is playing the best in that game.
Good post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad