Post-Game Talk: GAME 8 - A Frustrating Night in Vancouver - Canucks 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I’d rather see what happens. Shoot me.

You’re advocating for a rebuild with a team that has a 4-2-2 record and went to the second round of the playoffs last year. A team which, unlike plenty of other teams, has a nice pipeline of talent and has basically rebuilt itself while staying competitive or close to it.

Until we are in January and on a rapid decline, I’ll take the “try to win games” strategy.

Ok forget tonight .. ive felt they will make the playoffs but do you honestly think this team has it to make a deep run ....thats the question here. Do we need to wait till March forget Jan to evaluate this?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Hard to predict how this team will do. I think they'll make the playoffs but have to say ..they look bad on this road trip. Im not interested in a bubble playoff team ..I really would rather get the number one for next few years rather then face repeated quick playoff exits.

Couple of forums that may interest you then. Tank celebrations in the following

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/buffalo-sabres.18/
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/florida-panthers.28/
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/vancouver-canucks.36/
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/forums/detroit-red-wings.34/

Reactions: Dr Hook

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Mistakes happen 3 on 3 but bust your butt to get back and help out on what looked like a 3 on 1. Carlo outplayed Marchand tonight easily, all this talk of blaming him comes off real bad. At least Carlo tried and was not half skating all night, like some of the Vets.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Oh just him on this one. I noticed a few posts at the end of the GDT pissy with Marchand.

Don't know I disagree about his defensive zone coverage 3-on-3. Just not sure I care entirely. It's like blaming the goalie on penalty shot. I wish it was saved, but it's a penalty shot. I don't know.

This team doesn't look in gimmicky bulls***. Marchand is prominent in not being the exception. :laugh:
Something is wrong with Marchy.

He looked off again tonight and the team’s overall performance in OT was icing on the cake.

It seems like he’s having a hard time trying to find that fine line of pest and elite player as well as trying to put the team on his back for some reason.

I hope he’s not fighting an injury.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Ok forget tonight .. ive felt they will make the playoffs but do you honestly think this team has it to make a deep run ....thats the question here. Do we need to wait till March forget Jan to evaluate this?
Yes . Remember what happened last year with all those injuries later in the year and a real congested schedule in March that derailed the team .

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

If Ottawa can actually win hockey games with their roster, I am pretty confident that more improbable things can occur.

One of the weirdest things to me is when good, knowledgeable fans remain convinced that sports are at all predictable. You think ANYONE actually expected Vegas to head to the Finals last year? How many people thought the Bruins were actually “ready” to win a Cup in 2011? Sports fans play it safe, and talk about everything as if it’s 3 to 5 years out. “We’ll be ready in a few years” just so it feels better when it happens sooner. We’re preparing for this, we’re preparing for that. We went from a joke of a team in 2008 to suddenly Cup contenders in 2009 (so was thought) with minimal personnel changes. Tell me that’s going to happen when we’re headed in as the 8th seed in 2008. And then tell me Montreal is going to get swept by the Bruins 4-0 the very next season.

You draft as well as you can, and yes, if your system is completely depleted...tank and rebuild. Other than that, you just try to win because you never know.

Reactions: gillesgilbert

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I doubt teams are going to make trades in October. I don’t have a problem if they decide to make moves, but it needs to make sense and not be reactionary. When that happens, it’s never good. Sweeney won’t make a move yet. I would say the magic 25 game bar needs to be met first to evaluate your team.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Mistakes happen 3 on 3 but bust your butt to get back and help out on what looked like a 3 on 1. Carlo outplayed Marchand tonight easily, all this talk of blaming him comes off real bad. At least Carlo tried and was not half skating all night, like some of the Vets.
He did bust his butt to get back. Couldn't make the play but he tried.

Blaming Carlo for the goal is neither inaccurate nor a comment on his all-around play for the rest of the game.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Yes . Remember what happened last year with all those injuries later in the year and a real congested schedule in March that derailed the team .
I think it will be tougher this time around and as mentioned at one pt Berg and DK will slow down...that's inevitable..

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He did bust his butt to get back. Couldn't make the play but he tried.

Blaming Carlo for the goal is neither inaccurate nor a comment on his all-around play for the rest of the game.
No he did not he coasted, he got passed by the 3rd guy and a a guy off our bench. Unfortunate play by Carlo but why was Marshy on the ice for a 2nd shift, we had rested options, this is on Cassidy.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

He looked off again tonight and the team’s overall performance in OT was icing on the cake.

It seems like he’s having a hard time trying to find that fine line of pest and elite player as well as trying to put the team on his back for some reason.

The Bergeron line seemed to have a lot of zone time tonight but they haven’t exactly been picking the corners the last few games Most of their shots( particularly Bergeron’s ) are going right up against the pads .

Mr. Make-Believe

There seems to be some hesitation in his play. His decision-making seems laboured. But it's also difficult to beat on one of the point leaders on the team.

I hope he's alright. And I also hope he knows that he can be both a pest AND an elite player. In fact, I don't think he's elite without that element.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Alicat

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
If Ottawa can actually win hockey games with their roster, I am pretty confident that more improbable things can occur.

One of the weirdest things to me is when good, knowledgeable fans remain convinced that sports are at all predictable. You think ANYONE actually expected Vegas to head to the Finals last year? How many people thought the Bruins were actually “ready” to win a Cup in 2011? Sports fans play it safe, and talk about everything as if it’s 3 to 5 years out. “We’ll be ready in a few years” just so it feels better when it happens sooner. We’re preparing for this, we’re preparing for that. We went from a joke of a team in 2008 to suddenly Cup contenders in 2009 (so was thought) with minimal personnel changes. Tell me that’s going to happen when we’re headed in as the 8th seed in 2008. And then tell me Montreal is going to get swept by the Bruins 4-0 the very next season.

You draft as well as you can, and yes, if your system is completely depleted...tank and rebuild. Other than that, you just try to win because you never know.

Oh am I glad we are not the sens. Those guys aren't going anywhere for years and years to come
When the bruins came up with a young Berg krejci Kessel and a Savard Chara . I loved that nucleus and felt it was just a matter of time till these kids mature. Then chia traded Kessel(hated that) set us back but he went out and got Horton that in the emergence of March made us a very well balanced team and of course Thomas with a pretty good D .
It was our time..
I don't see that similar nucleus now and I don't see it coming either. Ive been saying long before this road trip. Realistically we are not deep enough

Mr. Make-Believe

No he did not he coasted, he got passed by the 3rd guy and a a guy off our bench, unfortunate play by Carlo but why was Marshy on the ice for a 2nd shift
I think I don't understand what you're saying. He caught up with the puck in the neutral zone and couldn't quite make a play on it.

And why are upset that he got a second shift? Carlo also got a second shift. I don't know what you're confused about here.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I think it will be tougher this time around and as mentioned at one pt Berg and DK will slow down...that's inevitable..
True but by March maybe Bjork , Donato , Heinen etc will have evolved into much better players than they are right now . Why assume doom and gloom when we don’t know how this will play out ?

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Looked at standings .Tampa 2 games at hand 1 pt back of Bruins.Leafs 2 pts ahead even steven and habs tied with game at hand .Bruins need to hang tough till health returns and Sweeney adds help.Right there with a hated West Coast trip over .

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Yeah...someday DK will slow down. “Someday”

I still think of DK as a crafty center who is a major asset to this team
He got falsely criticized in the playoffs last season....what was he expected to carry the team on his shoulders .He and Jake did well .

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Oh am I glad we are not the sens. Those guys aren't going anywhere for years and years to come
When the bruins came up with a young Berg krejci Kessel and a Savard Chara . I loved that nucleus and felt it was just a matter of time till these kids mature. Then chia traded Kessel(hated that) set us back but he went out and got Horton that in the emergence of March made us a very well balanced team and of course Thomas with a pretty good D .
It was our time..
I don't see that similar nucleus now and I don't see it coming either. Ive been saying long before this road trip. Realistically we are not deep enough

Had no choice but trade Kessel.Burke was going to offer sheet him with no money to match it.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
True but by March maybe Bjork , Donato , Heinen etc will have evolved into much better players than they are right now . Why assume doom and gloom when we don’t know how this will play out ?

We ll see and im not predicting Doom and gloom im im predicting making the playoffs. But very insecure on how far they will go.
Having said that if this would be the case im really not interested in a team making the playoffs for a quick exit that's usually the hardest position to rebuild.
I was hoping that Donato can be an offensive asset and it's early
But many want him sent down already and with reason I suppose. But I wouldn't do it just yet

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Cannot disagree with you but want to add I think Don Sweeney thought they would make an impact now.I do not think he thought them kids would be struggling this much so far.Forcing his hand.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Had no choice but trade Kessel.Burke was going to offer sheet him with no money to match it.

They had the money or can make moves ... They just felt they can go without him. But they won cup two years later. Maybe we would of had more with Kessel but I'll take the cup we won and run .
All that to say I was really excited about the nucleus and of course Seguin ...hurtsmy heart we gave that guy for nuts.
Imagine
March Berg Pastr
Debrusk krejci seg
Eventually seg moves to center

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I still think of DK as a crafty center who is a major asset to this team
He got falsely criticized in the playoffs last season....what was he expected to carry the team on his shoulders .He and Jake did well .

Yeah I disagree.

He’s the only player on the team that some fans, for some reason, feel doesn’t need to be held accountable for his stat line.

I like the guy. Was his ultimate defender despite criticism during his prime years. But it’s pretty obvious his game has regressed. At this point, it feels like a certain contingent of fans are simply immersed in their defense of him and it really doesn’t matter what quantificable evidence comes up to contradict their feelings.

Could he have better stats with higher scoring wingers? Sure. So could every other center. When this argument is given year after year, it gets ridiculous. If he’s the great center still that so many say he is, he should be elevating his line mates. He’s the only star player I’ve ever seen whom apparently can pass the burden to his wingers to elevate his game.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Dr Hook

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I think I don't understand what you're saying. He caught up with the puck in the neutral zone and couldn't quite make a play on it.

And why are upset that he got a second shift? Carlo also got a second shift. I don't know what you're confused about here.

Not sure on how you missed it, I literally said they had rested options. Marchand was off all night, was slower then usual, seemed to make one pass out of 4 attempts. Heinen, DeBrusk and Bjork all showed jump tonight. Cassidy choices proved wrong two nites in a row in OT. Hopefully he will change that up.

Pretty simple why Carlo was out there, who was the option, Chara, rookie Vaak who traveled all day and Kampfer. I already said this, lol. Not sure why you are struggling with the obvious. The dee was Carlo, Moore and Grizz, that was it. The forwards Cassidy picked were very limited and not having there best games. He gambled they would rise to the occasion like so many times before but, again the other teams speedy youth out did us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad