GDT: Game 79 | Pittsburgh Penguins vs Montreal Canadiens | 7PM | They'll Start Trying Soooooon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well I guess the PP percentage is tonight is going to make up for the lousy average over the last couple weeks...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Geno needs 5 points to hit 100. Think he can do it IF he plays the last 3. I figure he probably does play them just because we still need to lock up #2.

Winning the division is NOT out of the question.

It all comes down to winning tomorrow (and probably at Columbus).

Caps last 3 games are at Blues, then home to the Predators and Devils.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Geno needs 5 points to hit 100. Think he can do it IF he plays the last 3. I figure he probably does play them just because we still need to lock up #2.

Is he injured? I thought someone said he was injured...please no!

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
Us?? Or them??
Penguins. I think the 5 spot is actually misleading. All the lazy stretch passes. All the lazy work from the PP1 unit. I mean, we have seen them play better and yet they give 2 clear cut short handed chances. if the idea is to win the game, they are achieving that through luck. If the idea is to build a consistent way of play in preparing for the playoffs, they are far far away from it (from the view of the viewers like us here)

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Winning the division is NOT out of the question.

It all comes down to winning tomorrow (and probably at Columbus).

Caps last 3 games are at Blues, then home to the Predators and Devils.

If we win tomorrow in regulation that puts us 1 point back of them, with them having one game in hand.

It's pretty unlikely I think but you never know.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Giving the goal now to Sheahan, not Olli...
I wonder if Sully will just sit Brass for the remainder of the RS if we win this game, even if he’s healthy enough to play...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not goals against or save % we're not.

They lost eight of their final 15 games (including six of their final 10), finished the season 22nd overall on the penalty kill, and allowed the fourth most shots on goal per game. They didn’t exactly play great in the first two rounds, either, getting through Columbus and Washington thanks largely to great goaltending carrying them.

So let’s take a look at their recent performance this season where they are actually playing really well down the stretch, even if it can look a little sloppy at times.
Even with their recent slump on the PK they are still better than they were at the end of last season (17th this season vs. 21st this year) and are giving up the sixth fewest shots per game.

But let’s take a look at a more isolated stretch of games, specifically the past 11, and what they were doing at the same time a year ago.

Offensively they are averaging a full goal per game more, recording more shots, giving up fewer shots, and are one of the best possession teams in the league as opposed to being one of the worst.

The two drops are a slight increase in goals against and a worse penalty kill. It’s easy to blame the penalty kill slump on losing Ian Cole as part of the Derick Brassard trade, but that would also be kind of lazy. The Penguins played without Cole for 15 games earlier this season when he was on the team and never saw that sort of a drop in their play (while using mostly the same players).
The big change is in net where Matt Murray has been up and down at times when he has been healthy, while backups Casey DeSmith and Tristan Jarry have simply not played well. It is probably not a coincidence that the PK started to fall apart recently when Murray went down with an injury and missed nearly a month and the Penguins had to turn to a career minor leaguer and a pretty good prospect that probably is not quite ready for full-time NHL action.

If Murray is healthy and playing the way he was before his most recent injury (he was 8-0-1 with a .926 save percentage in nine starts before missing a month) they are going to be a force to deal with in the playoffs.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Giving the goal now to Sheahan, not Olli...
I wonder if Sully will just sit Brass for the remainder of the RS if we win this game, even if he’s healthy enough to play...

I dunno. I know Sully is confident but home ice is important.

Also I challenged Murray to not give up 3+ goals in a game and he's responded so far tonight. Made some huge saves. This is the Murray we need in the playoffs if we're to have any chance.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad