GDT: Game 77: Coyotes @ Golden Knights - 7PM - FSAZ+

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tyson Nash "LOOK AT THE BACK CHECK"
No Tyson that's slashing.

Fischer had one good shift in the first where he kinda carried a few Knights around along the boards. 'bout it.
What happened to Fischer? One point last five games, not getting chances, not getting involved in the play. Maybe sit him for a game like Perlini.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
What happened to Fischer? One point last five games, not getting chances, not getting involved in the play. Maybe sit him for a game like Perlini.

What was his TOI yesterday? Didn't feel I saw him a lot. Hoping he just not got so much time on the ice?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
how much did winning at the end of last season help? ZERO.
Talent wins. Drafting guys like Dahlin creates a winning culture.
Stupid coyotes.
I have to agree. Many are saying that winning now helps change the culture. I don't buy that one bit. We had a terrible first half and now showing signs of turning it around with the same roster. Everyone points at Edmonton, but Edmonton's problem is more to do with the mix of players than the talent.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Oh please! 2015 guaranteed Eichel and tanking guarantees a pick in the Top 4 and that includes in a deep draft like this. Both Eichel and Matthews would be on this team right now if this franchise had a clue.
I'm not one who believes much into winning changes the culture as much as talent does, if that makes sense, but I do not believe in tanking either. Players have pride and management has to support them as much as possible.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And where are they this year????? Basically the same coaching there.

2012 was six years ago..... and to be perfect blunt..... I'm sort of tired of coming into this forum game after game of reading how everything sucks when we lose and now how it sucks even more when we start winning.
:laugh:Can't make everyone happy. Winning for the young team gives the kids confidence, and winning is always more fun than losing, and talent wins games with the right mix of talent. While it's nice to get a top three or four pick, the draft is really a crap shoot at the best of times.

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Well I have been having fun watching games the past couple months, Dahlin be damned.
Since New Year's this team has been the most fun Coyotes team to watch since the year they won the Division and the very early months of the Ribiero season were very fun. I think they are doing the right thing by competing here. If there were better odds at #1 overall it might be different, but the best thing to do right now is try to create a winning culture rather than a losing culture. If this team remains intact and plays like it has the past half of the season next year, they could be on the doorstep for a playoff spot.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
A couple of quick thoughts before I go to work: To Del and in part, to Legend, I was one of the early critics of Tocchet. It wasn't that we were losing, it was how we were losing. We appeared to be very poorly coached, as players were consistently out of position and didn't look like they had a clue. The system appeared to be simplistic and vulnerable to defensive zone turnovers. Somebody got to Tocchet, because his work has dramatically improved. The system is less aggressive and more players are playing more responsibly.

To Classless Coyote and azcanuck, the current lottery system is essentially tank proof. If we finished last for 6 years running, statistically we would only get one 1st draft pick. There is simply not enough advantage to finish 1st over 3rd to make it worthwhile to tank this club.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Love the way OEL is playing. Love the way Keller is playing. Still encouraged by Strome’s game.

Happy with the way the team is executing the system (mostly) and how effective the system is appearing to be (mostly). I think the growing pains have (mostly) passed and we’re seeing the team we were all secretly (mostly) hoping to see in October but didn’t really expect (mostly) to see until January.

I’m a happy Coyotes fan right now. Filled with hope. I’d be quite pleased to go 5-0-0 in our last five. Screw the lottery.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm ecstatic.

To those who say "where was this at the beginning of the season" The answers are simple.

1)Lots of Roster turnover: Stepan, Keller, Hammer, Demers, Cousins, Rinaldo just off the top of my head. it was gonna take some time to gel

2) New Coaching Staff/System: While I don't think anyone expected us to go 0 for a million in the first few months, there was never any doubt it was going to take time to adjust. it just took a little longer than I expected.

3) Brutal schedule for a team with so much change: don't think this can be debated

4) Goaltending Disaster: Having Louis Domingue/Wedgewood as our starters with Hill backing up while Raanta was on the shelf did not help our case any. I truly wonder if we could've stolen some games early with Raanta in net, even with our terrible defensive play early, which brings me to my next point.

5) Big injuries to the Blue Line: having Chychrun out at the beginning of the season (no camp) and Hammer out for a significant amount of time early on certainly didn't help chemistry building and overall defense.

That's just 5 off the top of my head and I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

Would I like to get Dahlin? You bet your ass I would. But to say this team isn't going places based on their last 3 months of play is a little crazy to me. Chayka has done a masterful job assembling this Roster and I trust in him completely. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to say this team "should be tanking" or "they are not doing themselves any favors by winning" is just plain untrue to me. A good draft pick is great but a culture change is what puts you on the road to success.

I've seen a culture change.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It is different than the last several years. We "stole" games last season...the team wouldn't control the play like they do this season, it was more of "wow, we got away with that one" type of game. The last 2-months, we look like the better team on the ice 80% of the time. That is a definitely good sign and if we can get any luck at all in the draft, we could plug some of the holes we have on this team.

But really, drafting 7th and picking Noah Dobson wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Worth noting if it wasn't already, this win surpasses last seasons ROW total.

...3) Brutal schedule for a team with so much change: don't think this can be debated

Even this is an understatement. There is a reason it was called a historically bad schedule. We had to travel prior to 21 of our first 24 games, consistently crossing time zones. There was virtually no time for the team to practice, hence why it looked liked it wasn't being coached.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
A couple of quick thoughts before I go to work: To Del and in part, to Legend, I was one of the early critics of Tocchet. It wasn't that we were losing, it was how we were losing. We appeared to be very poorly coached, as players were consistently out of position and didn't look like they had a clue. The system appeared to be simplistic and vulnerable to defensive zone turnovers. Somebody got to Tocchet, because his work has dramatically improved. The system is less aggressive and more players are playing more responsibly.

To Classless Coyote and azcanuck, the current lottery system is essentially tank proof. If we finished last for 6 years running, statistically we would only get one 1st draft pick. There is simply not enough advantage to finish 1st over 3rd to make it worthwhile to tank this club.

The way the team played early on was an adjustment period for both players and coaches.

I saw plenty of old habits from several players being exhibited way too often and while it’s easy to simply put it on the coaching staff, the players had to take an equal portion of the responsibility for letting those old habits dictate their play.

I guess the question is why in hell did it take so long for it to get turned around? I think it was in late November when we started hearing that Tocchet was beginning to have individual talks with some players and their games began to change for the better afterwards. Was that too late??? Maybe. Maybe Tocchet was so adamant about his system that he felt the players should be able to adopt it without question? Maybe the players were so ingrained into playing the way they always had it didn’t matter?

But no matter what the reasons were, I’m glad that both sides finally realized that they needed to find some common ground to work on.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
The way the team played early on was an adjustment period for both players and coaches.

I saw plenty of old habits from several players being exhibited way too often and while it’s easy to simply put it on the coaching staff, the players had to take an equal portion of the responsibility for letting those old habits dictate their play.

I guess the question is why in hell did it take so long for it to get turned around? I think it was in late November when we started hearing that Tocchet was beginning to have individual talks with some players and their games began to change for the better afterwards. Was that too late??? Maybe. Maybe Tocchet was so adamant about his system that he felt the players should be able to adopt it without question? Maybe the players were so ingrained into playing the way they always had it didn’t matter?

But no matter what the reasons were, I’m glad that both sides finally realized that they needed to find some common ground to work on.

I listened to hockey central at noon yesterday and Florida’s James Reimer was saying it took until about Christmas for the players and new system to gel. Of course, they weren’t in as bad of shape as we were so they’re still in the hunt. The show hosts brought up Vegas and how everything was new yet they had no trouble putting it together. They then decided that’s why Gerard Gillant deserves coach of the year. I guess the answer is it just takes coaches/teams different amounts of times to figure it out after a lot of changes.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
I'll take good hockey over tanking for better lottery odds any day. If this team was still playing like it did 6 months ago, OEL would want out, Stepan would be coasting just to cash his paycheck waiting for a trade, Keller would be discouraged, and Strome would crack under the pressure of being our only chance to get better. It would be awful.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Tocchet made a system adjustment late November early December. The D started making the first pass to each other and the forwards started providing more support, rather then the earlier strategy of D to forward stretch pass. It took a little time to get away from the earlier strategy and for the team to be more cohesive. I think this was a coaching strategy mistake initially trying to emulate Pittsburgh. Our team D has been so much better now.

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Fun game to watch last night! I was not a fan of the Yote's game in that third period, though. Yes, Vegas played it well... but the Yotes were not good with the puck. I saw a lot of sloppy passes and panic passes out of the zone to continue to let Vegas keep that puck. Luckily the Yotes were able to hold on, but that needs to not become a habit.

Keller is legend. That line is clicking well, and I'm glad to see the Yotes keep it up.

To the tanking discussion... look at the Yotes. Our 3rd overall pick has yet to really impact the club (I hope he does next year... but we will see), but our 7th is in Calder Cup discussion. So, sure, maybe it would be nice to pick high... but it really just depends on what player is available and how the team has scouted. All of the top 10 players everyone has talked about sound so nice, but they aren't ALL going to be 1st liners (most likely, imo). Some may not pan out so... is it worth the mental pain to lose for that? And I do believe that purposefully sabotaging yourself WILL have future consequences on performance, at least mentally.

Let's throw some of the scenarios out. We lose a lot, win the lottery... gives you a negative and a positive.... also unlikely to happen. Other scenario... we lose a lot, we lose the lottery... negative and negative. That is all negative. Also, it's most likely in those scenarios. Next scenario... Win a lot, win lottery.. double positive. Not likely either. Last, win a lot, lose lottery. Positive and negative. Likely to happen. To me, the worst case scenario is to lose a lot and also lose the lottery. Having 4th overall vs 7th to me really doesn't make a big difference vs the amount of negative emotion that comes with it. Sorry for rambling, and hopefully the thoughts are somewhat cohesive, but that's just my opinion on it!

I'd love Dahlin or a top 3, but the lottery seems so random it's just better to win and hope to win that too. Most of all, I hope the scouts have done a fantastic job and they pick a great player.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

And if the team sucks early on next season, you'll go back to blasting Tocchet and say how we should have never got rid of Tippett. I'll also be among the 1st to ask where's this winning culture that so many of you say this team has right now if the team doesn't get it together from the start.

You say it's tank proof but we still see teams in both the NHL and the NBA still tanking. Again, finish dead last in the NHL and picking 4th is still better than finishing 4th and then having to pick 7th or finish 7th and pick 10th as this system does punish teams who don't tank. I know everyone wants to see the team win but the winning as of late is making a few people in the fanbase blind to what's going on with the franchise as a whole. We shouldn't say things like "who cares about the lottery" seeing that the team can't even afford a player like Tavares and you don't want to count your chickens before they hatch in the minor league system.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
You say it's tank proof but we still see teams in both the NHL and the NBA still tanking. Again, finish dead last in the NHL and picking 4th is still better than finishing 4th and then having to pick 7th or finish 7th and pick 10th as this system does punish teams who don't tank. I know everyone wants to see the team win but the winning as of late is making a few people in the fanbase blind to what's going on with the franchise as a whole. We shouldn't say things like "who cares about the lottery" seeing that the team can't even afford a player like Tavares and you don't want to count your chickens before they hatch in the minor league system.

So? Turn back the clock - it's February of this year. What would you have the team do? Be specific.

Got that?

Now, follow up question. After they've done what you suggest, put yourself in the position of avid Coyote fan, perhaps even season ticket holder. Do you want to pay to watch the team being iced at your suggestion for the last 15 or so home games?

You only have todays, bud. No guarantees of tomorrows.

EDIT: haha, my bad fellas... after a little research I just realized I'm arguing with the brick wall. I'll stop. (a pox on whoever picked a new forum provider that got rid of the "old username hover over" feature)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

cobra427

May 6, 2012
And if the team sucks early on next season, you'll go back to blasting Tocchet and say how we should have never got rid of Tippett. I'll also be among the 1st to ask where's this winning culture that so many of you say this team has right now if the team doesn't get it together from the start.

No player or coach wants to lose on purpose. That is not in there DNA. Focus on winning and don't try to outsmart a system you can't outsmart anyway.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
We are now outpacing last season through 77 games -- 65 points to 63.

We're also ahead in ROW. We have 25 now, we ended last season with 24.

Reactions: _Del_

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Plenty of STH's from any fanbase is fine with tanking and our season ticket sales would have gone up with getting a player like Eichel, or Matthews. And yes, they're plenty of players and coaches throughout history that have tanked. Let's stop saying player and coaches never tank in such a very simple fashion.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have to agree. Many are saying that winning now helps change the culture. I don't buy that one bit. We had a terrible first half and now showing signs of turning it around with the same roster. Everyone points at Edmonton, but Edmonton's problem is more to do with the mix of players than the talent.

I think that getting on a roll at the end of he season is definitely important. Instead of players sitting around all summer dreading having to come back to a team that was dog shit all year, they can actually look forward to coming to camp and hitting the ground running with a team that had a great end to the season. It’s a mental thing.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
EDIT: haha, my bad fellas... after a little research I just realized I'm arguing with the brick wall. I'll stop. (a pox on whoever picked a new forum provider that got rid of the "old username hover over" feature)

More like you don't have anything to counter the argument so you resort to criticizing the poster instead of the post. I'm not surprised here seeing how you called anyone who blamed David Moss for ruining the teams chances at getting Eichel stupid.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards

With the Strome call-up, one of the young players had to be removed from the Power-Play in order for Strome to get PP time. Fischer was the chosen one. Fischer also does not PK so he'll find himself sitting on the bench for long stretches when refs call penalties.

Overall in the NHL level, he's useless out there without PP time, especially on a line with linemates that need to be sheltered on 5vs5 play as well.

Luckily, our 1st line has been taking over games so this issue has not been as obtrusive as it should be.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Love the way OEL is playing. Love the way Keller is playing. Still encouraged by Strome’s game.

Happy with the way the team is executing the system (mostly) and how effective the system is appearing to be (mostly). I think the growing pains have (mostly) passed and we’re seeing the team we were all secretly (mostly) hoping to see in October but didn’t really expect (mostly) to see until January.

I’m a happy Coyotes fan right now. Filled with hope. I’d be quite pleased to go 5-0-0 in our last five. Screw the lottery.
:nod::nod::thumbu::thumbu::clap:That is your most positive post in years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad