Post-Game Talk: GAME #77: Canucks 4 vs. Ducks 5 | Spirited comeback attempt, but nothing to show for it

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
pretty sure Spooner will be bought out. Shouldn't see the ice again this year or you risk him getting a long term injury.

If gets on LTIR his cap hit won't hurt the Canucks. A buyout will have $1.33M on the Canucks cap for 2 years. If they waive and bury Spooner in Utica his cap hit will be $2.025 for just one year.

The right move for me, is to bring him back and see if he can win a spot. If Spooner can't, he can be a major piece of Utica and be a leader on the 1st line which hopefully will include Kole Lind next season.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Just remember, with all these comparisons to Petterson having one of the best starts for rookies like Crosby and Ovechkin, those two were near the top of the league in scoring after their first seasons. Petterson sits at number 54 in the league. So, yes he's had a great year but factor in that scoring is up all over the league.
Lol this is a bad take...he missed eleven games. He’d have 80+ points if he played the full season..not to mention besides having Boeser, he’s had some pretty mediocre linemates. He’s a superstar; not quite sure on the point you’re trying to make.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Canucks have lots of strong shooters and not enough playmakers...Pettersson's not making many plays these days. Gaudette's a no-passer so far. Goldobin was one of the few guys who could make a play in traffic along with Boeser.
What??? Petterssons not making many plays these days? What are you on about? And I’d say Horvat and Leivo have been excellent playmakers as well. But yeah you’re right, we do need more creativity and strong puck possession players that can make a play. We have a lot of good shooters on the team.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
What??? Petterssons not making many plays these days? What are you on about? And I’d say Horvat and Leivo have been excellent playmakers as well. But yeah you’re right, we do need more creativity and strong puck possession players that can make a play. We have a lot of good shooters on the team.

EnchantedHopefulAllensbigearedbat-small.gif

Uh...yeah?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lol this is a bad take...he missed eleven games. He’d have 80+ points if he played the full season..not to mention besides having Boeser, he’s had some pretty mediocre linemates. He’s a superstar; not quite sure on the point you’re trying to make.

44th in points per game. (40th with 20 games or more)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Getting into true garbage time. Teams took turns being a mess in their own ends. Some horrible give-aways in this game and the slot, both ways, was open most of the night.

Good

Stecher - game starting to show maturity

Horvat - his line was dangerous throughout

Pearson - best on the team at getting to the net and good at establishing at net presence. Others should learn from this.

Edler - very good game in the offensive end. Has been playing for that contract all season and deserves something substantial. Fear here is term and the Dim One's propensity to give whatever the player ask for.

Not good

Gaudette - is not ending the season well. Has to be real concern that he will be NHL ready heading into next season. Just scrambling around out there. Maybe just one more example how some got carried away our supposed prospects depth heading into the season. Many have come no where near coming close to the hype.

Schaller - what a poor pick up. Nothing about his game is NHL level

Eriksson - looks absolutely done. Can't imagine this embarrassment going on for three more years. His contract is crazy bad.

Pettersson - made some crucial errors and got very little done offensively. Length of the season and the heavy checking have taken their toll.

Others

Levio - played good in spurts. Scored but made some bad turnovers as well

Virtanen - again flashes of good play and at least didn't do the fly by on his point man. However, never know what you will get shift to shift.

Teves - thought he showed fairly well. Probably better than Brisbois (also older) . Does have good wheels and moves puck ok.

Schenn - some glitches in his play in this game when he got forced in the corner. But overall continues to provide some very physical play and is working the puck out of his zone ok. Obvious he lacks much of any offensive game but fulfilling a role on the team.

Line up tonight suggest Green may not go 'all Willie' on us and just play the vets. Must get Demko into the next game. If not then the 'Willie' label applies.

Reactions: EastEnderVan

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
There isn't resignation this season. Canucks used to deflate.I like the leadership emerging on this team. Surely somebody deserves to be Captain?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Edler - very good game in the offensive end. Has been playing for that contract all season and deserves something substantial. Fear here is term and the Dim One's propensity to give whatever the player ask for.

The problem is that this season is likely an anomaly. His play is likely to drop and I think I saw an article earlier this year that despite the eye test his underlying numbers still aren't great. It's a mistake to sign him to anything more than a 2 year term. And likely a mistake to give him a raise. That said, he has been a great player for this franchise and when he does leave/retire I will miss him.

Gaudette - is not ending the season well. Has to be real concern that he will be NHL ready heading into next season. Just scrambling around out there. Maybe just one more example how some got carried away our supposed prospects depth heading into the season. Many have come no where near coming close to the hype.

I really thought when he came back up from the AHL that I was wrong to question where he fits long term. That may have been a bit of a blip as we are seeing a guy who looks out of place in the NHL. And not just a little out of place. Still, given where this team is situated I do think they should be feeding him icetime. Wins aren't a concern. Development is.

Schaller - what a poor pick up. Nothing about his game is NHL level

Eriksson - looks absolutely done. Can't imagine this embarrassment going on for three more years. His contract is crazy bad.

yes and yes

Pettersson - made some crucial errors and got very little done offensively. Length of the season and the heavy checking have taken their toll.

Teams are smothering him and his time, space and production has taken a hit. The nice thing is that I thought Boeser had a pretty good game. He was tenacious and getting his nose dirty. As that partnership grows Boeser is going to have to take on his portion of the heavy lifting. He seems to be doing that in recent games. I hope it's genuine player growth and not a blip.

Line up tonight suggest Green may not go 'all Willie' on us and just play the vets. Must get Demko into the next game. If not then the 'Willie' label applies.

He'll go with Markstrom I think because he'll be starting Hughes. After Thursday, Marky should be allowed to crack some beers open on the bench and just relax for the final week of the season.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that was straight garbage time to the point you cannot evaluate much.

teves surprised and impressed me with his potential. he looks like he might be ok once he learns a few things. he's got good enough mobility now, but if he can gain even a half step on his skating and improve his edgework the same amount then he could be quite good.

then again, i really liked griffin molino for his entire nhl cup of coffee.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
If gets on LTIR his cap hit won't hurt the Canucks. A buyout will have $1.33M on the Canucks cap for 2 years. If they waive and bury Spooner in Utica his cap hit will be $2.025 for just one year. ....

It's small and doesn't affect your position about what the Canucks should do with Spooner, but the Rangers get 22.5% of that $1.333 million savings. A buyout then would decrease Spooner's cap hit to the Canucks, in total over the next two seasons, by about $1.033 million.

The Canucks would save that same amount of cash, about $1.033 million, less what it would cost to replace Spooner.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Many have come no where near coming close to the hype.

This might be one of the most overhyped and underwhelming group of pro graduates we've seen in a while. Gaudette will be 23 at the beginning of next year, so next year is pretty important for him to find his game.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
This might be one of the most overhyped and underwhelming group of pro graduates we've seen in a while. Gaudette will be 23 at the beginning of next year, so next year is pretty important for him to find his game.
I really think Gaudette would be better on the wing. Extremely good at forechecking and making plays along the boards.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You can tell a lot about your team in the last couple of months of the schedule, when the play ramps up and the playoffs are in sight. Leaving aside last night's awful contest between two teams playing out a string, it bears repeating that over the past four years the Canucks have had the worst winning percentage in February-March of any team in the NHL.

Let that sink in, with all the laughable spin-doctoring on House Radio about the playoffs next season. Once you get past Horvat, Boeser and Pettersson, this team just screams mediocrity. It's not like the rest of the Western Conference is a stationary target either. Most of the teams are getting better, while the Canucks tread water.

So if they want to take any kind of leap forward, they're going to have to be major players on July 1st. There just aren't any other options. And watching Eriksson and Beagle out there, the thought of Jimbo throwing more money and term at another batch of UFA's is almost terrifying.

But that's sadly where this team is at right now.

Reactions: Hit the post

cabinessence

Feb 18, 2017
Is a superstar someone who isn't in the top 50? I'm not saying he's not possibly going to become a superstar, but even in points per game he's 44th. How can that be a bad take? He gets compared to having similar rookie starts to Ovechkin, Crosby and McDavid often, and yes, at a certain point they put up similar numbers. However those players were putting up those numbers when scoring was down significantly. Do you get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad