Post-Game Talk: Game 76: Kraken vs. the desert dogs

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Who is you guys?
Pretty much everyone that was posting here last year, with the exception of @The Marquis, i think he was the only one that agreed on my predictions. Of course, you were right, and I ate my crow on the actual contract

Do you remember writing this in response to me posting I thought he was a 6M dollar player?

"McCann -> 4.75M x 4 (might go upto 5.25M for him)"

"I am genuinely concerned about giving McCann more than 5.5M. If he does get more, I would stick to 1-2 years tops despite the fact that we may not be able to buy his UFA years for cheap."

Speculation: - 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion posts 1402 & 1411

You had a solid argument and legitimate concerns, but a lot of people in that thread, especially early on where pushing the sub 4M narrative.

Reactions: Summer Rose

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Good win against a bad team that plays like it these days as well.

giphy.gif

Hope the boys were able to gain more confidence now heading to Vancouver playing the Canucks on a back-to-back.
Gotta get points there, no matter how.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
In a salary cap league players don't get paid what they are actually are valued...
You probably want to change your post to say *RFA* players, otherwise that statement is completely incorrect.

But in reality, a lot of RFAs get what they are valued at and more, especially when contracts are buying some UFA years.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Good win against a bad team that plays like it these days as well.

giphy.gif

Hope the boys were able to gain more confidence now heading to Vancouver playing the Canucks on a back-to-back.
Gotta get points there, no matter how.
The Yotes were playing some pretty great hockey just two weeks ago. Somewhere along the way their goaltending has completely fallen apart, and now I agree, that team mostly just looks defeated.

I have a feeling that Donato charging down the wing and scoring a goal with 26 seconds left when already up 7-1 is going to motivate them to make a statement in the next meeting - hopefully there are no consequences for that, it was not the best showing of sportsmanship. :laugh:

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Does that go down more if the flames lose at some point? Wednesdays flames jets game feels win win to us
The Calgary situation is we're +5 and they have 10 possible points. We own the tiebreaker.

The Nashville situation is we''re +8 and they have 12 possible points. We own the tiebreaker unless we end up tied with us getting loser points to their wins.

So if Calgary loses, the magic number doesn't really go down because of the loser point scenario, but feels like it gets closer to 4.

Best case for us in the Jets/Flames game is someone wins in regulation. No bonus loser points awarded.

Beat the Canucks tonight and it drops to 3. Add: if Vegas and Chicago both help with regulation wins, it drops to 1.

Last edited:

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Pretty much everyone that was posting here last year, with the exception of @The Marquis, i think he was the only one that agreed on my predictions. Of course, you were right, and I ate my crow on the actual contract

Do you remember writing this in response to me posting I thought he was a 6M dollar player?

"McCann -> 4.75M x 4 (might go upto 5.25M for him)"

"I am genuinely concerned about giving McCann more than 5.5M. If he does get more, I would stick to 1-2 years tops despite the fact that we may not be able to buy his UFA years for cheap."

Speculation: - 2021-22 Kraken Roster Discussion posts 1402 & 1411

You had a solid argument and legitimate concerns, but a lot of people in that thread, especially early on where pushing the sub 4M narrative.
I don't think those that were pushing for more of a prove it type two year deal around 4M per were really far off base with the concerns. To predict his current output was a bit of a reach but a great outcome for the contract he got. It is a great deal and great insight on your part to predict it. :thumbu:

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The Calgary situation is we're +5 and they have 10 possible points. We own the tiebreaker.

The Nashville situation is we''re +8 and they have 12 possible points. We own the tiebreaker unless we end up tied with us getting loser points to their wins.

So if Calgary loses, the magic number doesn't really go down because of the loser point scenario, but feels like it gets closer to 4.

Best case for us in the Jets/Flames game is someone wins in regulation. No bonus loser points awarded.

Beat the Canucks tonight and it drops to 3. Add: if Vegas and Chicago both help with regulation wins, it drops to 1.

1) We don't own the tiebreaker with Calgary given that they won the season series 2-1.

2) We do own the season series with Nashville given that we won the season series 2-1.

So overall we need one more point than Calgary and could have tie with Nashville to stay above them.

BTW: As of right now we've got 92 points.
The most Calgary could achieve are 97 points while the Predators can only achieve 96 points.
Both are also still playing against each other meaning that only one of them could achieve the full point total possible.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
1) We don't own the tiebreaker with Calgary given that they won the season series 2-1.

2) We do own the season series with Nashville given that we won the season series 2-1.

So overall we need one more point than Calgary and could have tie with Nashville to stay above them.

BTW: As of right now we've got 92 points.
The most Calgary could achieve are 97 points while the Predators can only achieve 96 points.
Both are also still playing against each other meaning that only one of them could achieve the full point total possible.
This is incorrect.

The first tie breaker is number of wins. Calgary has a huge number of loser points, and we have more wins. A tie in terms of points goes in our favor because of wins.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I don't think those that were pushing for more of a prove it type two year deal around 4M per were really far off base with the concerns. To predict his current output was a bit of a reach but a great outcome for the contract he got. It is a great deal and great insight on your part to predict it. :thumbu:

Oh, I did not predict this kind of production. I wish I could say I was that smart, but to be honest, 40 goals is as big of a surprise to me as it is to anyone.

Watching McCaan last season and looking at his advanced metrics with Pit the previous 2 seasons, I was in the camp that Seattle should sign him long term, even at 6+, because I didn't think his 25-30 goals was a crazy fluke and the team was lacking top end talent, so it made sense. Nothing more.

I was really just razzing @Fistfullofbeer a bit in good fun, it was meant to just be a little teasing since he and several others were were pretty close to dead-on with the actual contract and I had to eat a ton of crow. Unfortunately, those conversations seem to have been long forgotten, so the joke crashed and burned :laugh:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
This is incorrect.

The first tie breaker is number of wins. Calgary has a huge number of loser points, and we have more wins. A tie in terms of points goes in our favor because of wins.

Not to nitpick, but isn't it regulation-wins and not just wins?

It is still a big advantage as Seattle has 33 and Calgary only has 29, just maybe not quite as big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad