GDT: Game 76: Coyotes @ Lightning - 4PM - FSAZ+

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Got to see the third. Very happy with Strome since the recall. Small sample size but very encouraging. Love him with Perlini.

Thinking of:

Panik-Stepan-Keller
Perlini-Strome-Zadina
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
Nook-Richardson-Cuz

Gotta think this team, with the current D and an extended Raanta, is way below the cap floor.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Got to see the third. Very happy with Strome since the recall. Small sample size but very encouraging. Love him with Perlini.

Thinking of:

Panik-Stepan-Keller
Perlini-Strome-Zadina
Domi-Dvorak-Fischer
Nook-Richardson-Cuz

This works or replace Zadina with Svech and it still works. I know Panik has worked with Strome/Keller, but he does lack the hands necessary to finish a lot of those Keller passes, I know we couldn't get Neal, but imagine:
Neal-Stepan-Keller

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Gotta think this team, with the current D and an extended Raanta, is way below the cap floor.

I'd be happy with that roster. Maybe pick up a couple Bollands and 2nd rounders.

I think Chayka wants to keep the gas pedal on this rebuild. Probably packages a couple young, cheap players for a young expensive player. Something like Domi and Merkley for Mark Stone.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I have been impressed by Strome. He plays smart hockey. He is good in his own zone. He can shoot the puck. He passes the puck very well.
I think he can get better. He is not impressive looking similar to Dvorak but plays a steady game. I hope he continues
to grow and adds a little bit in speed. He has the smarts to play on this level. He does not look overmatched.
I don't think he will ever be a #1 center but I would be ok with if he turns into a #2-3 center and can contribute on the power play.

I like Murphy also....

It gets tiresome listening to Walsh. Nash just loves all of our all-stars - Connatun, The dancing Bear, Murphy, Strome, etc... How are we not leading the league in points.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Very encouraging game from Strome, I can see a top 6 role for him next year. I doubt he becomes the long awaited legit 1C, but if Stepan plays he has late this year, Dvorak develops a bit more offense, and Strome gets more comfortable, we could have 3 2Cs.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
During the first 41 games the Coyotes scored 93 goals while giving up 145.

So far in the second half of the season we've netted 95 while only yielding 92.

Just confirming what we already know...defense and goaltending sunk this team early.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I doubt he becomes the long awaited legit 1C, but if Stepan plays he has late this year, Dvorak develops a bit more offense, and Strome gets more comfortable, we could have 3 2Cs.

My concern with this is we could become like the Wild, or the Rangers of years past. Is a lineup like that good enough to win? Is it closer to good than great?

History shows you need a 1C to win the Cup. Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron in recent years.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Totally agree Sniper. He looked much better his first two games (missed tbe Florida one). But by the third it looked like he was in a groove. Also looked like his line was getting caught in their own end quite a bit, but didnt give up any goals at least. Still feeling much better about him, but he needs to push the gas again these next two games.
I think he can give more and with his growing confidence he will. I'm not sure what you are expecting, but RT put him with Perlini who is as cold as ice until last night, and Fischer has gone AWOL the last while. My only gripe is why Strome wasn't called up earlier for him to gain experience instead of us playing Hamilton, but better late than never.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'd be happy with that roster. Maybe pick up a couple Bollands and 2nd rounders.

I think Chayka wants to keep the gas pedal on this rebuild. Probably packages a couple young, cheap players for a young expensive player. Something like Domi and Merkley for Mark Stone.
That won't get you Stone.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
My concern with this is we could become like the Wild, or the Rangers of years past. Is a lineup like that good enough to win? Is it closer to good than great?

History shows you need a 1C to win the Cup. Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron in recent years.
That is why the Coyotes should win the lottery next season and draft Hughes.

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018

I'm holding out hope that Strome or Dvorak fills that role

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Well played by the Yotes in that game. Went up against a good team without 2 d-men and still did a good job. I'd also love to see Strome-Perlini get some chemistry because it seems just so perfect.

Panik is an interesting player to me... I also thought he was meh after a while in his first games. Just a player in a sweater. With this line he has been much more noticeable and scoring a bit. However, his hands haven't been good enough to convert the plethora of chances he's gotten. If he had good hands, he would be perfect for that line. Keller needs some players to convert the chances they are being set up on a bit more often. Could really raise the ceiling for this team.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
yeah...imagine Neal instead of Panik. Keller is going to need an upgrade if he is going to hit 80+ pts at some point. Gotta have someone who can convert more often than not. Yesterday for example, Panik had at least 4 chances and didn't convert on any of them.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
yeah...imagine Neal instead of Panik. Keller is going to need an upgrade if he is going to hit 80+ pts at some point. Gotta have someone who can convert more often than not. Yesterday for example, Panik had at least 4 chances and didn't convert on any of them.

Hey now be fair!
He also created a chance for Stepan who didn't convert on it :snide:

I actually agree with what Jakey said though, he's done better on that line than anyone else.
An upgrade definitely interests me going forward though. But we've still got bigger fish to fry at center first.

Well ideally Fischer or Perlini would play their way onto that line full time but that seems like something that's still a year + out.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Obviously one of two teams better than the Bolts. Other is Nashville Predators:naughty:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

You could be right, but it's better than what we've had for a long long time. I think theoretically we could win if we had a stacked blueline and three number 2 centers (Strome, Stepan, and Dvo in front of OEL, Dahlin, Chychrun, Hammer, Goose, and Demers would be nuts). The depth would be insane. That's a lot of ifs though, and even then I think you can make the case you need an elite gamebreaking player to win the cup. Maybe that can be Keller? Does it need to be a center?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad