Post-Game Talk: GAME #76: Canucks 0 vs. Blue Jackets 5 | Weekend B2B with season on the line = outscored 8 - 1

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Welp. That should just about stick a fork in any playoff delusions. Pretty much awful all around.

--Schenn. This was the exact game Gudbranson's fans around here (both of them) wish he actually played but never did. Throwing the body, physical down low, didn't shy away when stuff got nasty. Really hope we keep him around for another year or two on a cheap deal. He's earned it.

--Granlund, Eriksson, Beagle, Pearson: did they play?

--Gaudette: did he play? Oh wait, yes he did. Took that penalty late in the 3rd and when the feed went to a shot of him in the box, the guy in the stands beside the box in the brown leather jacket went for a fist-bump, Gaudette ignored him, and the guy awkwardly went back to playing with his phone like it never happened. That's the only thing that stood out for me about Gaudette tonight.

--Goldobin: apparently he forgot how to make or receive a pass during his scratches. Visible only for the obvious flubs.

--Virtanen: not as bad as yesterday, but did just as much offensively. This guy would be so gone if he weren't a 6th overall hometown boy draft pick. That Anderson guy on Columbus is what Virtanen's boosters wish he was.

--Sautner: well.........not that great.

--Biega: let's face it. The guy's an okay 6/7 guy but he's in over his head against actual decent teams.

--Horvat: totally wasted with Eriksson and Pearson on his wings.

--Boeser, Pettersson: the only guys even trying to be dangerous offensively.

--Edler, Stecher: love their fight, but they're being ground down. Again.

Closing it out with a whimper yet again.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks have basically spent the last two games just chasing the puck. That's the difference when you're actually playing good hockey teams, and are a far better measuring stick on where you're at.

This is an AHL-quality blueline so I suppose the last couple of games were inevitable. They need to embrace the 'stealth tank' in the last six games. Rotate the goalies, give Quinn Hughes some big minutes. And try to lose out. The more balls in the lottery the better.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I continue my repetitive rant. Put Virtanen with Petey for the rest of the season. High upside for Jake and possibly an upside for Petey. For effs sake I have been incredibly frustrated watching Petey trying to get any work or solutions with anyone but Boesser.

Virtanen-Pettersson-Boeser would be a fine line to watch. Speed to burn and Virtanen won't have to rely on his toolbox (just his tools) to help contribute. He can't be worse than Leivo.

I'm glad we saw Goldobin in the line up tonight. He was almost a non-factor but he somehow stayed off the minus side of the ledger and even blocked a few shots.

Eriksson vanished again. He is still a top contributor but he loves games against bottomfeeders.

Pouliot looked awful. I wonder if anyone tracks a puck dead on stick stat.

Horrid effort on the whole though. Is that our 10th time being shut out this season? 13.whatever percent of the games we've played we haven't been able to score. Another 7 with a single goal? That is almost a quarter of the games we've played where we need the goalie to throw a shut out just to get a point.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Oh yeah, Pouliot. Forgot him. Ace tank commander move on the 1st Columbus goal. Stupid pinch outside the blueline, lost his man, boom. Goal.

As for Demko, you can't really fault him for losing a game where the Canucks scored zero goals, but I can't help feeling Marky would've saved a few of those. But of course, if the goalie needs to stand on his head for there to be any hope of winning against even halfway decent competition, the problem's not in net.

How's Sven Baertschi look?

Like he just missed a big chunk of time to a head injury. Non-factor.

Reactions: EastEnderVan

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Wanted to match the Canucks intensity with my post game player summary.

Luke Schenn was memorable............

tenor.gif

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks easily handled in this one. Team looked gassed and breakdowns were constant. Couldn't establish any offense without leaving huge holes defensively and didn't have Markstrom to bail them out for egregious defensive lapses. Basically how we would look if tired and without Markstrom - which was the case.

Good

Schenn - playing for a contract somewhere. Certainly not "a new age defenseman" but doing what he does quite well. Like to see him with a better partner than Sautner and assess whether he still has anything left and whether the Canucks should consider him. Would like to keep him in the organization.

Bad

Demko - giving up way too much room. Made a few good saves but got ventilated on open shots. You have to wonder if this has been anything like a good development year for Demko.

Gaudette - can't establish himself in the play. Saying he is chasing the play is being kind. Very poor in his end

Biega/Edler - playing on fumes. Under too much pressure and couldn't maintain good coverage.

Virtanen - occasional sign of life but very little continuity in his play. Back to being on his own island most of the time. When he gets chances seems to get hare-triggered and lacks any poise.

Goldobin - back to his east-west type hockey. (guess that worked back in Russia) Always seems to want to go or move the puck sideways and never gets to the net. Again prone to bad turnovers and wasn't good in his end. Patience has to be wearing thin. Probably the Hansen trade, like the Burrows trade, has netted us nothing.

Eriksson - already well into his off season. Too busy counting his dough to worry much about actually playing.

Ugly

Baertschi - was probably the Canucks worst player in this game (and that's saying something). Easily shoved out of the play and didn't have the wheels to stay in the play. This player has been called a fringe top 6 but more likely is just overall fringe. Might well be worse than Eriksson. And we have two more years of this dead weight cap to go !!!! Thanks Dim One.

Pouliot - stunk bad. Terrible player. A Jimbo special.

Last edited:

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
I hate waking up and that canucks has scored 0 goals, no chance of points for pettersson.

1-8 this weekend yikes...

Reactions: Jimnastic

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
Canucks easily handled in this one. Team looked gassed and breakdowns were constant. Couldn't establish any offense without leaving huge holes defensively and didn't have Markstrom to bail them out for egregious defensive lapses. Basically how we would look if tired and without Markstrom - which was the case.

Good

Schenn - playing for a contract somewhere. Certainly not "a new age defenseman" but doing what he does quite well. Like to see him with a better partner than Sautner and assess whether he still has anything left and whether the Canucks should consider him. Would like to keep him in the organization.

Bad

Demko - giving up way too much room. Made a few good saves but got ventilated on open shots. You have wonder if this has been anything like a good development year for Demko.

Gaudette - can't establish himself in the play. Saying he is chasing the play is being kind. Very poor in his end

Biega/Edler - playing on fumes. Under too much pressure and couldn't maintain good coverage.

Virtanen - occasional sign of life but very little continuity in his play. Back to being on his own island most of the time. When he gets chances seems to get hare-triggered and lacks any poise.

Goldobin - back to his east-west type hockey. (guess that worked back in Russia) Always seems to want to go or move the puck sideways and never gets to the net. Again prone to bad turnovers and wasn't good in his end. Patience has to be wearing thin. Probably the Hansen trade, like the Burrows trade, has netted us nothing.

Eriksson - already well into his off season. Too busy counting his dough to worry much about actually playing.

Ugly

Baertschi - was probably the Canucks worst player in this game (and that's saying something). Easily shoved out of the play and didn't have the wheels to stay in the play. This player has been called a fringe top 6 but more likely is just overall fringe. Might well be worse than Eriksson. And we have two more years of this dead weight cap to go !!!! Thanks Dim One.

Pouliot - stunk bad. Terrible player. A Jimbo special.
I like your honest analysis. I was going to vomit and couldn't watch the third, but it couldn't be worse than the second (could it!!??) I have not critcised Green this whole year, but WTF(?), playing Baertschi with Petey and Boesser. He brought the line to a standstill. I don't blame Sven. He should have been eased back into the lineup.

I have been generally very impressed with Biega recently. Thought their problem was Edler who had one of his very rare horrible and lacklustre games.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
That was a textbook Canucks loss. They were chewed and spat out at the start and then the Blue Jackets could play classic Torts hockey, shell up, grind it out and wait for the counterattacks. If the Canucks can get the first goal and can go for the counter rushes themselves, they have a shot at winning. But when they have to try to unlock a disciplined, coherent defense, where the Canucks defense has to be quick on their feet (haha) skating back? No chance, the team isn't nowhere skilled nor mobile enough.

You know the lineup is bad when you see people being glad Goldobin is back. If this was a basketball team, the Canucks would be fine, or well, sort of fine. But this is unfortunately a hockey team. Too much dead weight too many and passengers on the team.

It's kind of funny the Canucks have a better chance winning against the Flames than the Blue Jackets in terms of playing style.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Garrett's job is to find the positive. And Schenn was the only positive to this game. He has earned a position for next season based solely on that performance. (And, he has been solid for some time)

Both Biega and Schenn have earned the right to be 7/8 guys. They aren’t everyday players. I also don’t think they can come back with both Tanev and Edler on the blueline. They need a #1 pairing D-man if not 2 as neither Tanev nor Edler are those guys anymore on a decent team. I, however, suspect Edler will be re-signed and once he is they’ll start talking Tanev extension.

This team is bad and needs a lot more than Hughes as a new piece next season. Hell they need more than 2 Hughes! They need many more goals up front and those goals are not going to come from Leivo and Pearson or anyone else currently on a pro contract. The rosters of both Vancouver and Utica are an absolute mess.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
This team is years from the playoffs, never mind being a real contender. Very smart move bringing Demko up and having him play 5 games. Not ready for NHL, not even close but Dim Jim caves to people smarter and more aggressive than him. Which is everybody.

No one down in Utica, many more years of pain with Benning, Ryan Johnson and Travis Green "controlling" this rudderless ship.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
This team is years from the playoffs, never mind being a real contender. Very smart move bringing Demko up and having him play 5 games. Not ready for NHL, not even close but Dim Jim caves to people smarter and more aggressive than him. Which is everybody.

No one down in Utica, many more years of pain with Benning, Ryan Johnson and Travis Green "controlling" this rudderless ship.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

The Canucks continue to suffer from rushing young players onto their lineups before they are ready. Demko, Gaudette are the latest examples.

Any organization with a plan would have left them both in the AHL to play big minutes and a playoff run. Maybe even obtain some help at the deadline for the comets.

Instead they now have two teams that are complete messes after completly gutting the comets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad