Post-Game Talk: GAME #76: Canucks 0 vs. Blue Jackets 5 | Weekend B2B with season on the line = outscored 8 - 1

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Those Demko pads don't look as good on the ice as they did when Brian's put the pictures on instagram. Still great but just don't pop as much in real life.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Schenn was the best Canuck tonight. I think that says just about everything that needs to be said.

Although in all seriousness - I think he’s earned a 1 year deal to stick with the organization. At worst, he’s decent depth.

But yeah...this game sucked.
Look on the bright side. At least you didn’t pay full price to watch this turkey in person.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney
So looking at our player stats going into tonight....Roussel is 4th in forward scoring. Eriksson is 5th (with his best season in a Canucks jersey points wise). Goldobin is 6th (tied with Eriksson). Virtanen is 7th. Leivo then Pearson then Granlund after that.

Roussels been a great pick up and plays anywhere in the line up.

Eriksson has recently picked up some points playing with Horvat but has spent a lot of time with Beagle on the fourth line.

Goldobin (who likely won't be adding to his totals this year) has been bounced around a little bit but is still outscoring a lot of other players in the line up. I see his struggles but we need goals and he has been our 7th best player at doing so (Edler as a D didn't work into the above rankings.

Virtanen looked like a world beater to start the season. He has missed 10 games but still has had one of the worst slumps of anyone on the team. I hope he and Gaudette find some chemistry or that he can be tried in a top six role because at this point....eh whatever.

Leivo (who has been stapled to Pettersson and I'm saying this as correlation not causation but EP's slow down started not long after the stapling). His totals on the year look good but he is 16 points in 43 games which I think is substandard for a 1st line player.

Pearson's totals have been going up a little since he was acquired. Playing with Bo probably helps.

Granlund has been a whole lot of meh but still has 10 goals and 10 assists.

I said all that to say this. Our top performers (points wise) ought to be our top minute guys as well. Pettersson Horvat and Boeser will lead the charge but Goldobin Eriksson and Virtanen (for all their faults) are still our next most effective wingers from an offensive perspective with Roussel out. I like Pearson and Leivo but they're not producing as well as others in less desirable roles. I don't know where the official elimination will fall but let's see some chances for the guys scoring the most. Who know. We might catch lightning in a bottle going into next season.
I continue my repetitive rant. Put Virtanen with Petey for the rest of the season. High upside for Jake and possibly an upside for Petey. For effs sake I have been incredibly frustrated watching Petey trying to get any work or solutions with anyone but Boesser.

Reactions: Cogburn

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Luke Schenns hit count, that is all. All the guys playing for jobs next year and he is the only one who stood out
Yeah even though he’s playing for a contract it’s still a pleasure seeing a player play like he gives a **** in a game that was over well before it ended. That is the type of vet mentor you want around the prospects. Just don’t give him anything longer than a one year deal. Keep him motivated.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah even though he’s playing for a contract it’s still a pleasure seeing a player play like he gives a **** in a game that was over well before it ended. That is the type of vet mentor you want around the prospects. Just don’t give him anything longer than a one year deal. Keep him motivated.

Cheap depth, good mentoring potential. You don't need to give out stupid contracts to get a vet for the kids. Then again it is Jim and given Schenn has outplayed Gudbranson and Sbisa and Benning gave those guys $4m multi-year deals......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad