Post-Game Talk: GAME #75: Canucks 1 vs. Flames 3

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Good effort by an undermanned squad, really.

Petey didn't have his best stuff tonight. Still made some good plays, and this will be a learning experience for him.

Puck didn't quite bounce Horvat's way tonight. Set up Motte for what could have been a tap-in, and had a couple pucks bounce to him in front, but was unable to create a shot.

Virtanen disgraced himself on the 3rd Flames goal. That language isn't too strong either. Virtanen gave it away with a soft play into the middle. Then the puck goes to Giordano who has to settle a puck in the air. This is a perfect chance for Virtanen to truck him. Use that mass of his.
Instead, he does a flyby. Pathetic.

I know someone who is involved in the organization and, from what I hear, Virtanen is dumb as a box of hair, and is a party boy. Apparently the partying has subsided somewhat now that he's serious with a woman. But he's just...stupid.

Believe me, or don't. But it certainly matches what we all see from night to night.
I saw him at the Pit at UBC when he was injured a few weeks back. He just stood/sat awkwardly and didn't drink or anything.

So based off my own personal viewing, I think that's decreased.

What hasn't changed has his low IQ on the ice

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

Results

Sep 3, 2006
Vancouver
Calgary sucks, their backup goalie is a jerkface and Giordano's so old and terrible.

I bet he doesn't even win more than the one Norris trophy that he will receive this year for being the best defenseman in hockey.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks couldn't get the buck out along the boards and that was pretty much the tale in this one. Canuck defense gets so much criticism (Gudbranson, et. al.) but the play of the wingers makes it so hard on them. Often not in position to make a play out of the zone or can't win the puck battles. Defense get puck, try to move it up, winger gets stripped, and defenseman back to trying to move puck up

Good

Edler - Good effort. Had the tough match ups and mostly shut them down. Played hard nosed game

Stecher - skating and overall game continues to improve. Second effort is exceptional.

Biega - has to be seen as starter heading into next year. Watched him since he was with Utica and always felt he had NHL potential (In fact never could understand whey he was constantly kept down while lesser players were played here). Was with Edler the best defenseman for us in this game. Sometimes tires with the heavy workload but then seems to bounce back with any rest at all.

Boeser - pushing the play better in every zone. Just a step away or tipped puck away from getting chances all game

Pearson - goes to the net well and smart in his own zone.

Markstrom - one goal was probably shaky but otherwise kept the Canucks in the game

Horvat - best Canuck player by a mile.

Not good

Virtanen - fly by on the third goal against epitomized his night. Back to looking lost and confused. Everything is happening too fast mentally for him. Ends up just making tunnel vision rushes here and there. Question becomes what can they get for him? Probably not enough and so you're left hoping he can somehow contribute. Terrible draft by the team

Levio - another with IQ issues. Play on the second goal against was good example. Schenn gets puck and looks for the pass up the boards. Trouble is Levio had already taken off and is near the Calgary blue line. Flame steps in and picks off the pass and Calgary takes puck to the net and scores. One of those games where Levio ends up doing nothing and plays poorly coming out of his zone.

Beagle - defensive coverage on first goal was awful and looked heavy footed and slow all game.

Gaudette - continues to struggle badly. Defensive break downs by Gaudette were common in this game

Schaller - just not any good. Can not skate at an NHL level. Should have gone to Utica a long time ago. Might have helped there and logically should have played there. But this would have made Benning look bad so they left him here to stagnate.

Hope Hughes gets a look next game and damn it Demko must be in goal.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Virtanen disgraced himself on the 3rd Flames goal. That language isn't too strong either. Virtanen gave it away with a soft play into the middle. Then the puck goes to Giordano who has to settle a puck in the air. This is a perfect chance for Virtanen to truck him. Use that mass of his.
Instead, he does a flyby. Pathetic.

I know someone who is involved in the organization and, from what I hear, Virtanen is dumb as a box of hair, and is a party boy. Apparently the partying has subsided somewhat now that he's serious with a woman. But he's just...stupid.

Believe me, or don't. But it certainly matches what we all see from night to night.
I saw him at the Pit at UBC when he was injured a few weeks back. He just stood/sat awkwardly and didn't drink or anything.

So based off my own personal viewing, I think that's decreased.

The speculation on a personal level is absolutely pathetic. You guys should strive to be better than this.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Brisebois was a -3 in 9 minutes of ice time lol. Him and Schenn were in the dog house today.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
That flyby by Virtanen was pathetic

This. He had a chance to get a hit on Giordano or at least make it seem like he would, thus at least putting some pressure on the guy instead of giving him all the time in the world to make that play to Mangiapane. Not all his fault but what is he doing...

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
The speculation on a personal level is absolutely pathetic. You guys should strive to be better than this.
I'm confused about what's wrong here. I don't really care about what he does. I can't stop myself from seeing him at the same spot I'm at lol

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
We can talk about the team being short handed etc all we want but the fact is even if they are healthy the only reason games against playoffs teams don’t get away from them is Markstrom. If he isn’t playing the way he’s been playing since Dec 1 it would truly be ugly. Well uglier than it has been.

The same concerning things appear like they have every other year since management out their stamp on the team. Bad depth. Players that skate hard but accomplish little. Poor IQ players. Concerning play that shouldn’t happen from young players that have 200 pro games under their belt. MIA veterans.

Reactions: DarrenX

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
BB6's shot, it looks quite threatening even when he does it casually.

I was probably slightly insane to compare him Kovalchuk over the last two years. But he really does strike me as the type of player who's dangerous even when they're floating. He has that special touched by God shot that's dangerous anytime he has the puck on his stick. This is why even when there's criticisms of him, I'm still a Brock fan and supporter.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
It's not speculation. I realize that my comment was removed due to not having been properly vetted. But I have been on this site for 14 years. Check how many salacious claims I have made over that period? I'm not someone who makes things up.

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
jake was blowing the zone looking for a breakaway, and the flip pass to him was knocked back into the canuck zone and then shot into stetcher's face as he went down to block, trailing by two, with 30 seconds left. A pretty good illustration of both player's games.
BS ,watch it again . He wasn't blowing the zone , the puck was flipped towards the blue line and was intercepted by a flame. There were 3 flames ahead of him , how the f*** is that blowing the zone for a breakaway? Thats a reach blaming JV for Stecher blocking a puck with his face. It was a routine play by any winger , also why the f*** wouldn't you go for a breakaway with 30 seconds left in a 3-1 game. Just exemplify's that most posters here are haters. The play on Calgary's third goal is another story, that was bad but who doesn't make mistakes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad