GDT: Game 73: Seattle Kraken(40-24-8) @ Minnesota Wild(42-22-9) - 5:00 p.m. PT / 8:00 p.m. ET

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Well, we could hold three goalies and give Driedger the playoffs in the AHL.
Overall our goaltending's just not good enough for a playoff team and it's also not easy to fix thanks to the contracts involved.
The casuals on FB are really adamant that both Grubauer and Jones are both great goalies. It’s a little frustrating. Love your team, absolutely, but Jones has been sub-average for years, and Gru’s been wildly inconsistent. Too many going in that are flat out weak goals. Turnovers and poor D play contribute, certainly, but a starting goalie in the NHL is expected to not be leaky, and Gru is flat out leaky at times.

Reactions: Kat Predator

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The casuals on FB are really adamant that both Grubauer and Jones are both great goalies. It’s a little frustrating. Love your team, absolutely, but Jones has been sub-average for years, and Gru’s been wildly inconsistent. Too many going in that are flat out weak goals. Turnovers and poor D play contribute, certainly, but a starting goalie in the NHL is expected to not be leaky, and Gru is flat out leaky at times.

Well, unless Grubauer's able to go nuts and completely turn things around during his final four years of the contract, he's just not worth the contract he was given.

But we've been through that and thanks to four more years remaining I doubt we'll be able to trade him.
I mean unless we're willing to take on another crap contract.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Well, unless Grubauer's able to go nuts and completely turn things around during his final four years of the contract, he's just not worth the contract he was given.

But we've been through that and thanks to four more years remaining I doubt we'll be able to trade him.
I mean unless we're willing to take on another crap contract.
The outcome is ideally to find a gem of a young goalie on an ELC and hope Grubauer can serve as an overpriced backup.
The odds aren’t great.

Reactions: majormajor

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
The outcome is ideally to find a gem of a young goalie on an ELC and hope Grubauer can serve as an overpriced backup.
The odds aren’t great.

good lord... they aren't going to play a younger inexperienced goalie over a vet... Also can we stop trashing gru over his contract.. There aren't a ton of quality goalies options out there. He was going to get that amount NO matter which team it is.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
good lord... they aren't going to play a younger inexperienced goalie over a vet... Also can we stop trashing gru over his contract.. There aren't a ton of quality goalies options out there. He was going to get that amount NO matter which team it is.
I felt he was playing well until yesterday. My Daccord argument was more that he was also playing well and more to compliment Gru rather than replace.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

So we can't discuss his play anymore?
Because someone would've paid him money too?

Overall I think he's been better this season but still nowhere what you want a $5.9M goalie to be for you.
We've got that for four more years and unless he improves quite a bit that's just not a good thing for our ability to build this roster.

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
They’ll play whoever gives them the best chance to win, as the Panthers did with Spencer Knight over Sergei Bobrovsky. As the Oilers are doing with Skinner over Campbell. As the Flames may do with Dustin Wolf next year over Jacob Markstrom.
I’ve never trashed Gru over his contract. He took what the Kraken offered, and good for him. That doesn’t mean he start if there’s a better option, nor should it.
I hope he starts showing extended runs of stellar play. I’d love to see him excel.

Last edited:

Cisse

Jun 25, 2016
Forssa
I was in Spain for a while and haven't seen our games much but I still remember what Jussi Parkkila the goaltending coach of the Avs said about Grubauer. He said that "He has never had to work so much with a goaltender but the guy had an uncanny work method to overcome any mistakes he had".
And under a good goalie coach Gru not only played an awesome season but won a Cup too.
Grubauer has not been nowhere near his ability with us. A part of that is his fault for sure. But if you don't get more out of goalie like Grubauer who is a bear for training you must place some blame on coaching too.

Reactions: kihei

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They’ll play whoever gives them the best chance to win, as the Panthers did with Spencer Knight over Sergei Bobrovsky. As the Oilers are doing with Skinner over Campbell. As the Flames may do with Dustin Wolf next year over Jacob Markstrom.
I’ve never trashed Gru over his contract. He took what the Kraken offered, and good for him. That doesn’t mean he start if there’s a better option, nor should it.
I hope he starts showing extended runs of stellar play. I’d love to see him excel.

and throwing an inexperience goalie that is not ready for the NHL level is how you ruin his development...

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Grubauer is just frustrating. He can be, when he's playing well, a really solid goalie and keep you in games. And the next moment, he becomes a liability and you have a guy who gives up 4 goals in 12 shots.

He's been sick and injured this year. We just have to hope he can get healthy and right. That we get more of the solid Gruuu.

WRT Jones, I think he's cooked. Appreciate his contribution earlier in the season when the other two goalies were banged up and he played with some competence. But he seems to be trending towards the sieve that lost his job to Aaron Dell and other stiffs.

I really don't see much, if any, risk in waiving Jones and bouncing him down to Coachella other than such a move kneecaps the guys down there, who've had a good season. Maybe Jones would play well for them and hold the fort?

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
and throwing an inexperience goalie that is not ready for the NHL level is how you ruin his development...
I didn’t say that. I said a gem of a young goalie on an ELC. That could be someone who’s excelled in the AHL for two years.
It could be someone like Filip Gustavsson in Minnesota, who’s playing behind MAF and may be supplanted by Jesper Wallstedt.
I’m in no way talking about some 18 year old straight out of Junior.
The Kraken need better goaltending. Ideally it comes from Grubauer. If not, Driedger or Daccord, but it needs to come from SOMEWHERE, regardless of who makes what $.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad