GDT: Game 73: Red Wings at canes 7:30 pm et 3/28/24 (ESPN+, BSD)

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Drafting isn't the only way to get top talent.

Yes, Yzerman and the Red Wings got absolutely bent over by the ridiculous Draft Lottery. Pivot and adapt.

That is 100% what they've done. They have Larkin, Raymond, and Seider who look like true building block pieces. And then the rest, they're at the point where they aren't running out time on contracts anymore and it's time to add.

I mean, isn't it still like Larkin, Cat, and Compher are the only ones signed through '27?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Lalonde’s post game presser is just brutal

Excuse excuse excuse
didnt watch it last night, was too pissed off with the piss poor effort from this joke of a team.

I'll go watch now though, I need a good laugh.

I really hope they have enough balls to fire Lalonde after this collapse. I dont see it happening because this organization is too scared to hurt feelings, but I'd love for Lalonde to be canned. He doesnt deserve to be back, the players quit on him.

This off-season is huge for Yzerman. I hope the "TRUST THE YZERPLANN" brigade can finally come to their senses and realize its time to question where the **** the Yzerplan is going.

Reactions: 14ari13

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He can't get fired fast enough.

Do you think Red Wings players want to run through a wall for Lalonde like Detroit Lions players would for Dan Campbell? Of course not. Just look at how they've started games in the last month, getting dominated by Arizona, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, etc.
I don't know of a single Wing that would have charged through a wall for Bowman.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Yes, Yzerman and the Red Wings got absolutely bent over by the ridiculous Draft Lottery. Pivot and adapt.
Free agency?
Bad, had a chance to take a step but lucky Capitals and Flyers lost too. Basically, stood still in terms of standings. Lucky for the Wings.

They need to nut-up and win some big games here against really good teams. It is starting to be a question of fortitude.
The chance was vs the caps. They cant get more than 1-2 points the next 3 games.
It was Rasmussen's guy. Petry was waving Ras over to cover that guy but for some reason he didn't. I don't understand why you're angry at Petry for this.
People decide who they are going to blame regardless the game. Petry had a strong game vs caps.
Because Petry, like Chiarot or Ericsson before both of them is the approved punching bag and any mistakes that any player makes can be attributed to them, whether they did anything wrong or not.
Exactly.
View attachment 843095

Intended assignments is one thing. But in what universe is it smart for Petry to make the executive decision of abandoning the guy that he is the only player that could possibly cover? Did he think he had a teammate behind him?

Like is he signalling to the ref? "Hey mark that guy!"

View attachment 843096

At this point, I'm pretty sure Lalonde is just terrified of saying anything negative to or about anyone over 30...
Seider points in the middle. The Petry points to the right. I guess the idea was to slow them down at the blue line and force 3 on 3. However it was 3 on 2. They don't read each others well
Yah they had several top 3 picks none of which is outplaying Larkin.
Raymond was 4th overall.
didnt watch it last night, was too pissed off with the piss poor effort from this joke of a team.

I'll go watch now though, I need a good laugh.

I really hope they have enough balls to fire Lalonde after this collapse. I dont see it happening because this organization is too scared to hurt feelings, but I'd love for Lalonde to be canned. He doesnt deserve to be back, the players quit on him.

This off-season is huge for Yzerman. I hope the "TRUST THE YZERPLANN" brigade can finally come to their senses and realize its time to question where the **** the Yzerplan is going.
People say Yzerplan is perfect then they proceed and say that Holl, Copp, Compher and Chiarot are terrible deals. Who signed them? Holland?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

And what does pivot and adapt look like to you?

When you don't get a generational player it's a tough row to hoe. It's going to be a combination of drafting, trades, UFAs. The thing with UFAs though is to lure the top end ones you need have a decent team that has hope for the future.

Yzerman isn't batting a thousand but I think I see what he's trying to do. And I understand that it's painful, but I don't know what a viable alternative is.

People say Yzerplan is perfect then they proceed and say that Holl, Copp, Compher and Chiarot are terrible deals. Who signed them? Holland?

No one is saying they Yzerplan is perfect.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Uh huh. I'm not even a super Petry hater, but I'm getting tired of this shit. I swear if they sit Edvinsson when/if Walman ever comes back from his case of griddylock. I'm gonna... Complain more!

I strongly disagree with Lalonde.

Sure, that was Ras's man in the offensive zone but he challenges the puck carrier and the puck gets behind him. Then in the neutral zone you've got Seider gapping up Slavin along the boards, Ras covering the player at center ice, and the eventual goal scorer on the left side.

Aho may have been Ras's man initially but that ship has sailed. How the F does Petry expect Ras to get over to cover Aho from where he is now??

Screenshot 2024-03-29 at 11.17.04 AM.png

Petry comes over to double cover Guentzel, Ras sort of tries to switch but it's way too late to cover the pass to a wide open Aho.

I don't understand a universe where Petry shouldn't drift over to cover Aho and have Ras skate like hell to stay with Guentzel.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It's asinine protection of a veteran out of his depths. As if Petry isn't used to criticism over his career or we have to keep him happy to keep him around or some shit...

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
View attachment 843095

Intended assignments is one thing. But in what universe is it smart for Petry to make the executive decision of abandoning the guy that he is the only player that could possibly cover? Did he think he had a teammate behind him?

Like is he signalling to the ref? "Hey mark that guy!"

View attachment 843096

At this point, I'm pretty sure Lalonde is just terrified of saying anything negative to or about anyone over 30...

So he's Dave Lewis, who was more worried about being friends with the players.

At least Lewis still had tons of Hall of Famers on his team the two years he was head coach.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
So... let's say the Wings don't make it in this year. Assume that changes in the lineup this offseason are net "slightly positive". Maybe they get a new goalie in the mix, maybe Husso comes back with an Adamantium groin and becomes very solid in net.

After the "almost" of this season - playing well, having fun, but then getting slammed by realities all teams deal with - major injuries, a mad case of the Yips in a tough month, then a flu-ravaged "last gasp" - does anyone think they won't buckle down and just play and coach better and harder next season? Hard enough in the good times to weather the inevitable bad times? Because I think they will.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
So he's Dave Lewis, who was more worried about being friends with the players.

At least Lewis still had tons of Hall of Famers on his team the two years he was head coach.

Yeah, and Dave Lewis found a way to not win with that team. Holy shit, the 2003-2004 Wings would absolutely jailsex the 2023-24 Wings.

He's not Dave Lewis. Dave Lewis took a legitimately star-studded team that replaced the departing Sergei Fedorov with a 25 year old Datsyuk and a 23 year old Henrik Zetterberg.

This is so damn disingenuous. 03-04 Wings teleported to now would be one of the best teams in the 23-24 season.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Yeah, and Dave Lewis found a way to not win with that team. Holy shit, the 2003-2004 Wings would absolutely jailsex the 2023-24 Wings.

He's not Dave Lewis. Dave Lewis took a legitimately star-studded team that replaced the departing Sergei Fedorov with a 25 year old Datsyuk and a 23 year old Henrik Zetterberg.

This is so damn disingenuous. 03-04 Wings teleported to now would be one of the best teams in the 23-24 season.
Huh? The 03-04 wings still won the presidents trophy, it’s not like Lewis led them to complete failure.

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Times ticking on that rebuild…the roster construction makes no sense and just got in the way of edvinsson being on the team which he should’ve been. Many of us called it out and the stupid free agent signings but got made fun of here. I called out how seider has been regressing under lalondes coaching, got laughed at, now everybody wants to criticize lalondes obviously subpar coaching and complete lack of structure. We got shutout 4 times in March, that’s horrible even for a tanking team.

Reactions: Realgud and 14ari13

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The whole notion of progress rests on how Seider, Raymond and other youngsters are progressing. DeBrincat, Kane, Gostisbehere, Compher, Perron, Sprong..window dressing purchased to attract dumb fans by leading the team out of the basement.

Seider's progress has stalled, let's be real. Raymond's progress is slow and looks likely to top out below the level required to be a superstar in the league. There's a not insignificant chance that both will eventually be traded for assets when the rebuild stalls out. Of course before the franchise is willing to acknowledge that, another 5 years may pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad