GDT: Game 71 | NYI @ CBJ | 7 PM EST

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This is pretty untrue if we look at recent Stanley Cup winners. Sure you have the one-off teams like St. Louis and Boston, but the repeat winners like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, and Tampa were led by players selected 1 or 2, and in the case of Pittsburgh and Tampa they have multiple.

Getting a #1 or #2 overall star isn't sufficient by itself (Edmonton, Buffalo, NJ so far), but it seems almost necessary.
If not about Jiříček (6/19), so Werenski (7/26), Laine (2/25), Boqvist (8/23), Johnson (5/21) - TOP 10 players, mean draft. Btw, Laine showed he can play center.
We need a good coach and goalie. Larsen is inexpensive that's why I would wait, look at Bednar in his first years in Colorado. The real problem is goalies.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
For people bitching about our team winning and hurting the tank, this one is on the Islanders. I expect the CBJ players to play hard the rest of the season. It’s not a surprise. The islanders are fighting for a playoff spot though, there is no excuse for how they played last night especially considering that we lost Laine before the game and a couple more players during it.

IOW, CBJ players did what we should expect of them, it’s the Islanders who failed us.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Your in last place by 4 pts. Last place. Don’t shoot, don’t grind pull the goalie.. but for Gods sake don’t be hero’s now. Your as close to a young Kane or Crosby as you are going to get ( at least wearing your sweater) dumbasses

Bedard, Fantilli Carlson: best centres we have had a shot at. Going to end up with the Russian and we won’t see him for 5 years.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Your in last place by 4 pts. Last place. Don’t shoot, don’t grind pull the goalie.. but for Gods sake don’t be hero’s now. Your as close to a young Kane or Crosby as you are going to get ( at least wearing your sweater) dumbasses

Bedard, Fantilli Carlson: best centres we have had a shot at. Going to end up with the Russian and we won’t see him for 5 years.
And now tell it players. ;)
Btw, Kucherov was chosen in the second round. Kaprizov in the fifth round.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

MrBadguy

May 27, 2016

I wouldnt be surprised that Jarmo is enjoying for not getting the nr.1 pick. so he can dwell on the past how they didnt tank for Bedard so they have "higher" moral or something like that...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Talent is not enough, you have to work with the player in the right way, help him in his development.
Yes of course and that goes for any players but that doesn’t take away the hesitancy to draft MM with that pick, which you hope to be the only one that high for however long.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yes of course and that goes for any players but that doesn’t take away the hesitancy to draft MM with that pick, which you hope to be the only one that high for however long.
And what if anybody will? After all, the players in question are not the only ones. Duncan Keith, Brayden Point, Sebastian Aho, Patrice Bergeron if that's what comes to mind.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And what if anybody will? After all, the players in question are not the only ones. Duncan Keith, Brayden Point, Sebastian Aho, Patrice Bergeron if that's what comes to mind.
I'm honestly not sure what your point is. You appear to be saying that good and even very good players can be found later in drafts. I agree.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Foudy foundy his game
Your pun has some truth in it. Watching Foudy, I see a different player. The Foudy I most recall is a guy speeding up ice with the puck only to lose it once In the O Zone - a bad (and weaker) version of Jason Chimera (who was a bad version himself) Recently he seems like a guy who has found effectiveness moving without the puck and working much lower in the offensive zone and around the net. He shows much more offensive versatility making him more effective. These final games will be interesting for him.

Reactions: CBJ goalie and VT

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I wouldnt be surprised that Jarmo is enjoying for not getting the nr.1 pick. so he can dwell on the past how they didnt tank for Bedard so they have "higher" moral or something like that...
Then he is an idiot. SJ / CH traded away to tank… we were bad due to injuries & youth. Our building is still sold out… this is/ was the perfect storm. Don’t reply - I’m not wrong

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Your pun has some truth in it. Watching Foudy, I see a different player. The Foudy I most recall is a guy speeding up ice with the puck only to lose it once In the O Zone - a bad (and weaker) version of Jason Chimera (who was a bad version himself) Recently he seems like a guy who has found effectiveness moving without the puck and working much lower in the offensive zone and around the net. He shows much more offensive versatility making him more effective. These final games will be interesting for him.

Well said, and I've been seeing this in his game too.
Confidence is a scary thing.
He may not admit it, but not scoring for over 60 games had to be in his head.
Once that happened, he could feel the pressure come off.
I'm rooting for him to continue his great play and be a regular in the line up - right into next season.

Reactions: Monk and CBJx614

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This is why I find it laughable people calling Larsen the issue , or wanting him replaced . He was hired to develop the kids , that was the main reason he was hired following Torts . Marchenko, Johnson, Boquist and recently Foudy have taken massive leaps in their game this year . Powerplay is worlds better … not saying he does everything right.. I wasn’t a huge fan of how they were using the young guys early on, but in hindsight, it was probably the right move .especially when you look at how Johnson is surging right now , where Berniers production has really tailed off .

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marchenko, Johnson, Boquist and recently Foudy have taken massive leaps in their game this year . Powerplay is worlds better … not saying he does everything right.. I wasn’t a huge fan of how they were using the young guys early on, but in hindsight, it was probably the right move .especially when you look at how Johnson is surging right now , where Berniers production has really tailed off .

It's hard to know what Lars' contribution has been.

Marchenko has been about the same since the puck was dropped in his first game.

Boqvist has been good but this is after being kept in the NHL too early for his whole career until this year, including a wasted year under Lars.

You can give Lars credit for Foudy stepping up or blame him for Foudy being lost for most of the year.

KJ has been handled well, though I'm not sure there's much that can stop this kid.

You didn't bring up the Sillinger disaster, which I would fire Lars over.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I have to admit, I'm on the fence with Larsen...

Do they give him another chance next year?
Or if they draft someone exceptional do they make the change to start fresh?

I guess I see how Colorado gave Bednar another chance after his first brutal season, and he's done pretty pretty pretty good.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
It's hard to know what Lars' contribution has been.

Marchenko has been about the same since the puck was dropped in his first game.

Boqvist has been good but this is after being kept in the NHL too early for his whole career until this year, including a wasted year under Lars.

You can give Lars credit for Foudy stepping up or blame him for Foudy being lost for most of the year.

KJ has been handled well, though I'm not sure there's much that can stop this kid.

You didn't bring up the Sillinger disaster, which I would fire Lars over.
Why are you blaming Larsen for Sillinger ? Wouldn’t that be a Jarmo issue keeping him up ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad